    software that runs it will come with it, but if not, then what software do I
    need to get? And can it be downloaded on the 'Net for free? Any advice will
    be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    XYZ XYZee, Oct 18, 2004

  2. XYZ XYZee

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On 18 Oct 2004 22:21:48 GMT, (XYZ XYZee) wrote:

    >I certainly know how to make vidcaps from videotapes because I've done so in
    >the past (I have a vidcapping device that I bought several years ago), but I
    >have to admit that I know nothing about how caps are made from DVD's. Sorry if
    >this is a bad question here, what is required to make caps from DVD's? I know
    >at least that one obviously needs a computer, a DVD drive or player, & the
    >actual DVD's themselves (I have a DVD-ROM drive on my main PC & a very small
    >collection of DVD's), but do I need to buy or get any other hardware? And what
    >about software? If I actually need to get any new hardware, then surely the
    >software that runs it will come with it, but if not, then what software do I
    >need to get? And can it be downloaded on the 'Net for free? Any advice will
    >be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    I use CyberLink's Power DVD. it has a button that captures the
    screen. That is the easy part. I would assume that most of the DVD
    playing programs have a screen capture into a bitmap file button.

    --
    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com
    Wild Coyote, Oct 19, 2004

  3. XYZ XYZee

    Stewart Guest

    are you referring to 'screen CAPtures'????
    static images?

    Stewart, Oct 19, 2004
  4. XYZ XYZee

    XYZ XYZee Guest

    wrote:

    >are you referring to 'screen CAPtures'????
    >static images?

    Well, actually, I don't know exactly what they're called, but I just know that
    I have a PC that has a DVD-ROM drive and a small collection of DVD's, and what
    I want to do is make JPEG (or GIF or BMP or whatever if JPEG isn't possible)
    image files on my PC from a DVD by running the DVD on my PC, probably/usually
    while the DVD is being paused or "freeze-framed". The only DVD software that I
    have is "DVD Player", which came with Windows 98 on my PC.

    Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    XYZ XYZee, Oct 23, 2004
  5. XYZ XYZee

    Mark W Guest

    "XYZ XYZee" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >>are you referring to 'screen CAPtures'????
    >>static images?

    > Well, actually, I don't know exactly what they're called, but I just know
    > that
    > I have a PC that has a DVD-ROM drive and a small collection of DVD's, and
    > what
    > I want to do is make JPEG (or GIF or BMP or whatever if JPEG isn't
    > possible)
    > image files on my PC from a DVD by running the DVD on my PC,
    > probably/usually
    > while the DVD is being paused or "freeze-framed". The only DVD software
    > that I
    > have is "DVD Player", which came with Windows 98 on my PC.
    >
    > Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    You can do this with Windows' own 'print screen' button but you have to turn
    'hardware acceleration' OFF on your video card first.
    Mark W, Oct 23, 2004
  6. XYZ XYZee

    XYZ XYZee Guest

    Mark W wrote:

    >You can do this with Windows' own 'print screen' button but you have to turn
    >'hardware acceleration' OFF on your video card first.

    Thanks, but how do I do that? Do I actually have to open up my PC in order to
    do that? Thanks again.
    XYZ XYZee, Oct 23, 2004
  7. XYZ XYZee

    XYZ XYZee Guest

    XYZ XYZee, Nov 17, 2004
  8. XYZ XYZee

    XYZ XYZee Guest

    XYZ XYZee, Nov 17, 2004
  9. XYZ XYZee

    FAQmeister Guest

    "XYZ XYZee" <> wrote in message
    > Mark W wrote:
    >
    >> You can do this with Windows' own 'print screen' button but you have
    >> to turn 'hardware acceleration' OFF on your video card first.

    > Thanks, but how do I do that? Do I actually have to open up my PC in
    > order to do that? Thanks again.

    You may not have to turn off "hardware acceleration" to make this work.
    That depends on your video card.

    Display whatever it is you want to capture on your screen.
    Press "Print Scrn" on you keyboard.
    Paste into any paint program, or "Paint" that comes with Windows

    If you need to turn off hardware acceleration go to Control Panel,
    Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot, move slider to None.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Just get Power DVD by Cyberlink. It's a full DVD player interface with a
    button on the skin that makes screen captures. It's foolproof. just make
    sure you know where they're being saved so you can go find them. The print
    screen method has a lot of clicking involved. If you want to make more than
    3 or 4 caps I would suggest Power DVD.

    Mesa Recto Boogie, Nov 18, 2004
  11. I have Power DVD by Cyberlink, too. I also recommend it. It has a
    little camera button on the DVD player you see on the screen. You
    pause the DVD and hit the camera button. In my case, it
    automatically sends the still image bmp file to My Pictures folder
    in Windows XP with a file numbering system similar to the one for
    downloaded pics from a digital camera: PDVD_000, PDVD_001, PDVD_002,
    etc. You then open the image in something like Adobe or Paint Shop,
    as you would any pic from a digital camera, resize it and do
    whatever to it (mine usually need to be made brighter) and then save
    it as a jpg with whatever file name you want to give it. It was
    pre-installed on my PC so I can't tell you anymore about it.

    There is also software called SnagIt. It is effective but more than
    one step is involved, at least there was with the older version that
    I have.

    Laura
    laura capozzola, Nov 21, 2004