    tell WinXP that C: and F: is the same drive? How?

    Thanks,

    Zalek
    zalek, Nov 12, 2009

  2. zalek <> wrote in
    news:
    m:

    > Here what happened: for various reasons on my PC WinXp was
    > installed on F: drive, nd c: was USB drive. Now my PC crushed, but
    > I had hard drive clone. During install repair, WinXP installed
    > itself in correct place - but now my old F: is called C: and I am
    > getting a lot of error messages looking for F: drive (my current
    > C: drive). Is it possible to tell WinXP that C: and F: is the same
    > drive? How?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek

    Bring up a command window ( Start -> Run -> "cmd")
    Then enter the command:
    subst f: c:\

    HTH,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Nov 12, 2009

  3. zalek

    BrianB Guest

    "zalek" <> wrote in message
    > Here what happened: for various reasons on my PC WinXp was installed
    > on F: drive, nd c: was USB drive. Now my PC crushed, but I had hard
    > drive clone. During install repair, WinXP installed itself in correct
    > place - but now my old F: is called C: and I am getting a lot of error
    > messages looking for F: drive (my current C: drive). Is it possible to
    > tell WinXP that C: and F: is the same drive? How?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek

    Search Google for "change windows drive letter to c"

    subst is one way. The permanent solution suggested by MS is
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

    and some other suggestions:
    http://ossism.com/2009/04/24/the-complete-guide-to-changing-drive-letters-in-windows-xp/
    BrianB, Nov 13, 2009
  4. zalek

    Twayne Guest

    In news:,
    zalek <> typed:
    > Here what happened: for various reasons on my PC WinXp was installed
    > on F: drive, nd c: was USB drive. Now my PC crushed, but I had hard
    > drive clone. During install repair, WinXP installed itself in correct
    > place - but now my old F: is called C: and I am getting a lot of error
    > messages looking for F: drive (my current C: drive). Is it possible to
    > tell WinXP that C: and F: is the same drive? How?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek

    You can manage and change drive letters in Disk Maintenance, under
    Administrative tools; Computer Maintenance.
    But you can't assign the same drive letter to two drives at the same
    time; which I'm not sure is what you really want/need to do here.

    HTH,

    Twayne`
    Twayne, Nov 13, 2009
  5. zalek

    Richard Guest

    C was already assigned, so XP was installed on F. Disconnect what was
    connected to C and reinstall XP and the drive will now be called C.

    Richard, Nov 13, 2009
  6. zalek

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Zalek.

    "Drive" letters can shift like drifting sand. They can be different each
    time we reboot, especially into a different Windows installation. Assign
    each "drive" (partition, logical drive or volume) a NAME (label), which will
    get written to the hard disk - and won't change when you reboot from Win7 to
    WinXP or Vista.

    Boot into WinXP and run Disk Management: click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc"
    and press Enter. You'll have to furnish Administrator credentials.
    Maximize the window so that you won't be working through a keyhole. Wait
    while the screen populates, showing all your HDDs, partitions, and other
    devices that get "drive" letters, such as DVD/CD drives, USB flash drives,
    SD card readers, etc. Then study the screen and absorb what it's telling
    you. Widen the columns in the Volume Listing at the top, especially the
    Status column. Note CAREFULLY which volume has the System and Boot labels.
    Read KB314470 for the counterintuitive definitions of those terms:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314470/EN-US/

    Then look at the Graphical View at the bottom of the screen. Note the
    letters assigned and their sequence on Disk 0 (and any other HDDs that are
    installed). Right-click on each volume, click Properties, and type a name
    for each if it doesn't already have one. Maybe "WinXP x64" or "Data" or
    whatever makes sense to you and will identify that volume, no matter what
    letter it may have now or in the future.

    Note that YOU can easily change any drive letters you want EXCEPT for the
    Boot and System volume - which may or may not be the same drive. Letters
    for those special volumes are assigned by Setup when Windows is installed
    and can't be changed except by running Setup again - that means installing
    Windows again.

    Then post back with your remaining questions. But there's no need to keep
    cross-posting to irrelevant newsgroups. For example, this is NOT a 64-bit
    question. Just microsoft.public.windowsxp.general should be sufficient. I
    don't follow that newsgroup, since I haven't run WinXP in about 3 years, but
    I'm sure there are many readers there who can help with this problem.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 13, 2009
  7. "zalek" <> wrote in message
    > Here what happened: for various reasons on my PC WinXp was installed
    > on F: drive, nd c: was USB drive. Now my PC crushed, but I had hard
    > drive clone. During install repair, WinXP installed itself in correct
    > place - but now my old F: is called C: and I am getting a lot of error
    > messages looking for F: drive (my current C: drive). Is it possible to
    > tell WinXP that C: and F: is the same drive? How?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek

    This kind of substitution normally happens when multimedia readers are
    detected and assigned drive letters during the drive scan portion of the XP
    install.

    Unfortunately, there's no simple or practical way to fix this, because there
    are probably hardcoded registry and installer references to the OS
    installation as being on F. And there's no easy way to change them; there
    may be two, or thousands. You *could* pore through the registry looking
    for occurrences of "F" and hope that nothing made references outside the
    registry, or you could just fix the underlying problem.

    The short version, I'm afraid, is that you cloned a flawed install. The
    best plan is to create a proper install, re-image, and restore your data.

    HTH
    -pk
    Patrick Keenan, Nov 14, 2009
  8. zalek

    Hot-text Guest

    MM so C: is a USB and System is F:
    in C: the USB is the BOOT.DOC, AUTOEXEC.BAT they are Hidden Files that
    start the PC and there one more File but I do not remember the name of at
    this time All Wright by the installer to tell C: BOOT to BOOT F:
    SO you will alway have to BOOT with that USB to make your System to work if
    you have Delete or Format you USB then you have to reinstall
    XP
    BUT PUT it on a CD/DVD if you do not have a CD ROM buy one just $35 for a
    good one So that your HARD Drive will be C: not the USB

    POST Scrip
    O BUY A XP CD or DVD

    Hot-text, Nov 16, 2009