How to make audio DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by LZernov, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. LZernov

    LZernov Guest

    Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?

    Thanks in advance!
     
    LZernov, Dec 26, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. LZernov

    Joe S Guest

    LZernov wrote:
    > Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!


    Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
    Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD. You
    can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use these
    DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you damage it.

    (Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set the
    rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit rates
    according to your taste.)


    Joe
     
    Joe S, Dec 26, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joe S wrote:
    > LZernov wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    >
    >
    > Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
    > Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD. You
    > can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use these
    > DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you damage it.
    >
    > (Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set the
    > rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit rates
    > according to your taste.)
    >
    >
    > Joe

    Just as a side note, there are a number of other lossless formats;my
    personal favorites are Shorten (very fast) and FLAC. A great Shorten
    encoder/decoder is called MkW Audio Compression Toolkit and can be found
    on etree.org (a site dedicated to trading live music of bands that allow
    it -- eg. The Dead, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc.). Also don't expect the DVD to
    play the music on a standard DVD player you will need a computer (or a
    modded XBox...).
     
    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 26, 2004
    #3
  4. LZernov

    Joe S Guest

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > Joe S wrote:
    >
    >> LZernov wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance!

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
    >> Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD.
    >> You can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use
    >> these DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you
    >> damage it.
    >>
    >> (Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set
    >> the rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit
    >> rates according to your taste.)
    >>
    >>
    >> Joe

    >
    > Just as a side note, there are a number of other lossless formats;my
    > personal favorites are Shorten (very fast) and FLAC. A great Shorten
    > encoder/decoder is called MkW Audio Compression Toolkit and can be found
    > on etree.org (a site dedicated to trading live music of bands that allow
    > it -- eg. The Dead, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc.). Also don't expect the DVD to
    > play the music on a standard DVD player you will need a computer (or a
    > modded XBox...).



    How does the processing time and file size compare with WMA Lossless?


    Joe
     
    Joe S, Dec 26, 2004
    #4
  5. LZernov

    LZernov Guest

    Thank you very much!!!!
     
    LZernov, Dec 26, 2004
    #5
  6. LZernov

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Dec 26, 2004
    #6
  7. Joe S wrote:
    > Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    >
    >> Joe S wrote:
    >>
    >>> LZernov wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks in advance!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
    >>> Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD.
    >>> You can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use
    >>> these DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you
    >>> damage it.
    >>>
    >>> (Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set
    >>> the rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit
    >>> rates according to your taste.)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Joe

    >>
    >>
    >> Just as a side note, there are a number of other lossless formats;my
    >> personal favorites are Shorten (very fast) and FLAC. A great Shorten
    >> encoder/decoder is called MkW Audio Compression Toolkit and can be
    >> found on etree.org (a site dedicated to trading live music of bands
    >> that allow it -- eg. The Dead, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc.). Also don't
    >> expect the DVD to play the music on a standard DVD player you will
    >> need a computer (or a modded XBox...).

    >
    >
    >
    > How does the processing time and file size compare with WMA Lossless?
    >
    >
    > Joe

    With lossless codecs, file sizes approach a limit roughly 1/2 the size
    of an uncompressed WAV due to inherant entropy in sound (likewise
    different types of music work better with certain codecs). A while back
    I found this great site for side by side comparisons of lossless codecs.
    It was done prior to the release of WMA lossless (or the Apple
    lossless), but the sizes and percentage differences between encoding
    times are fairly accurate: http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/lossless/

    Please note the system that the tests were performed on was a "500MHz
    Celeron with 128MB of RAM and a 13Gig IDE hard disc". As I mentioned
    prior, my favorite lossless format is Shorten (SHN), you can find the
    tool I mentioned earlier here: http://etree.org/mkw.html
     
    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 26, 2004
    #7
  8. LZernov

    Clive Savage Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:38:55 -0600, "Chris" <>
    wrote:

    >Here is a great program. I have used it a lot and I like it. I convert my
    >tape audio books to one DVD for on the road listening.
    >
    >http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm


    Would it not be possible to have a static picture with an audio track?

    I know you can do this with dvdshrink (have a static picture instead
    of video).


    Bye for now.

    Clive.
     
    Clive Savage, Dec 27, 2004
    #8
  9. LZernov

    Biz Guest

    "Clive Savage" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:38:55 -0600, "Chris" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Here is a great program. I have used it a lot and I like it. I convert

    my
    > >tape audio books to one DVD for on the road listening.
    > >
    > >http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm

    >
    > Would it not be possible to have a static picture with an audio track?


    Many dvd-a disks have EXACTLY that. But it isnt LPCM audio in any of the
    cases I've seen, but it probably could be.


    >
    > I know you can do this with dvdshrink (have a static picture instead
    > of video).
    >
    >
    > Bye for now.
    >
    > Clive.
     
    Biz, Dec 27, 2004
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. fkissam

    Shrinking 9gb DVDs to 4.7gb DVDs

    fkissam, Jan 11, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    6,784
  2. Ant
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,345
    Oldus Fartus
    Jun 24, 2004
  3. Wild Coyote

    Converting PAL DVDs to NTSC DVDs.

    Wild Coyote, Oct 22, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    3,325
    Wild Coyote
    Oct 27, 2004
  4. Breezereef

    Reads Data DVDs but not Video DVDs

    Breezereef, Jul 21, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    637
    Breezereef
    Jul 22, 2005
  5. Biz
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    844
Loading...

Share This Page