    Does anyone have a hint for me ?

    Thanks and best regards,
    Erwin

    Erwin Jussli, Feb 27, 2007

  2. Erwin Jussli

    Jane C Guest

    You need to extract the boot information from the Windows 2003 CD and add it
    to your compilation before burning the CD.
    The procedure is described in this link:
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Feb 28, 2007

  3. Erwin Jussli

    Nut Cracker Guest

    IA64 is a much different beast than the version of XP discussed in that
    article ...

    What the OP needs to do is create an EFI readable disk. I have not created a
    slipstreamed IA64 CD before, so I cant tell you how to do it. But I can tell
    you that the CD itself isnt bootable per se.

    Let me ask how the OP tried to "boot" from the CD. What system is the CD
    being used in?

    Normally, you boot to the EFI Boot Manager, and then choose the EFI shell
    option. Enter the MAP command to see what block devices are listed, and any
    EFI mountable partitions. The block devices appear as BLK thingies, and the
    mountable filesystems are listed as FS0, FS1, etc. There will be something
    that looks like a device path that leads to the partion with the FS. To
    access a mounted filesystem, simple type FS0: (or appropriate number).

    You can then use the LS command to show files and directories. What you are
    looking for is an setupldr.efi file. Type the name of the file, and it
    should start the OS loader.

    If you dont see a mountable FS on your ATAPI/SCSI removable media device,
    then you know that the burner you used cannot create an EFI readable
    partition.

    Again, I cant tell you "how" to do that, but now that you know what you are
    supposed to be doing, you should be able to locate the information out on
    the net without 'too' much trouble.

    Good luck and report back,

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Feb 28, 2007
  4. Erwin Jussli

    Jane C Guest

    Ah, I didn't realise that IA64 CDs aren't bootable. How does one install
    onto a new Itanium machine with no previous OS?

    (PS..only posted that link as a reference to how to extract the boot info
    from a CD. The principle is the same for all bootable CDs)

    Jane C, Feb 28, 2007
  5. Hello,
    IA64 cds are bootable.
    The problem is that you need two volumes on the CD\DVD.
    You need a FAT volume which contains the EFI boot Loader and the boot code.
    ( when you boot you boot to the EFI volume which calls the boot loader,
    which loads the CDFS\UDF volume to continue setup.
    You also need a CDFS\UDF volume that contains the rest of the files.
    You would need access to the OPK for Windows Server 2003 to create this. Do
    you have access to the OPK?
    While in EFI, you only see the EFI volume on an IA64-bit OS CD\DVD.
    While in Windows, you only see the CDFS\UDF volume.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Mar 2, 2007
  6. Erwin Jussli