    Express? It would be nice to click it instead of opening OE then clicking on
    the folder then clicking on a file.
    Paul
    kineton1, Oct 11, 2008

  2. kineton1

    kineton1 Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    kineton1 wrote:
    Subject: how to make a short cut of a folder in OE

    This subject contains the word 'folder' in conjunction with shortcut. The
    body of your message does not.

    > How do you make a shortcut on the desktop of a particular file in
    > Outlook Express?

    OE is a mail&news agent which uses 'folderfiles' as a database. The
    database contains files with .dbx extenders which are a proprietary
    compression algorithm collection of the individual mail or news 'items' in
    what looks like OE folders which correspond to the .dbx files.

    When you say 'a particular file in OE' the term 'file' is ambiguous
    considering my above par. You might mean an individual email or an
    individual news message, or you might mean something else. Let's pretend
    that you meant to describe/ask 'how do you make a shortcut on the desk of
    a particular email or newsmessage?' in which case the question would not
    only be unambiguous, but it would also be easy.

    > It would be nice to click it instead of opening OE
    > then clicking on the folder then clicking on a file.

    If you have an email or a news message open, you can use File/ Save or
    saveas and save the item to the desktop or anywhere else. You can accept
    its default name and extension, or you can give it a new name and keep the
    ..eml or .nws extension.

    Your OS has the filetype .eml or .nws associated with OE and when the file
    is opened, OE will be called to display it in the usual fashion. The file
    itself is an mbox format file, which if all plaintext would also be
    readable with any ascii type editor -- or, if it contained html and your
    OE were configured to render the html, OE would call the IE rendering
    engine to display the html.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Umm...Thank you
    Paul
    kineton1, Oct 11, 2008

  3. Mike Easter wrote:

    > kineton1 wrote:
    >
    >> Umm...Thank you

    > All of that meant 'use File menu - Save As'.
    >
    > Did it work or were you asking something else?

    Now teach him how to quote, and how to not put his response in your
    signature. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 11, 2008
  4. kineton1

    kineton1 wrote:

    > Umm...Thank you

    All of that meant 'use File menu - Save As'.

    Did it work or were you asking something else?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Well since you mention it Mike yes ...
    I make an email like a newsletter which is sent to members of my family. But
    I keep it for a few days to add information to it before sending.
    What I wanted was a shortcut of the email in question so that I can quickly
    add detail to it. All I can do so far is to save it to desktop BUT when I
    click on it further editing is impossible. So is there a way to make the
    shortcut I want which WILL open it the way I want. Methinks it is
    impossible.
    Paul
    kineton1, Oct 11, 2008
  5. kineton1 wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > kineton1 wrote:
    >> Umm...Thank you

    > All of that meant 'use File menu - Save As'.
    >
    > Did it work or were you asking something else?
    >
    > -- <------------- see this line? Read below.
    > Mike Easter

    Do not type your response below the "-- " sig delimiter. Our replies,
    using real newsreaders, will auto-trim your words. Clip sigs out before
    typing.

    > Well since you mention it Mike yes ...
    > I make an email like a newsletter which is sent to members of my
    > family. But I keep it for a few days to add information to it before
    > sending.

    Ah. Instead of creating the email first, open up Notepad, create a text
    file on your desktop, and type your 'newsletter'. Save. Edit again later
    as required. When you are finally ready to send it, then, and only then,
    open your email program and create the email. Then copy and paste in the
    content from the text file.

    Easy peasy.

    --
    -bts