How to link to machines at home

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Starvoyager, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Starvoyager

    Starvoyager Guest

    OK, Ive been here before and I hope I dont aggravate anyone.
    I have 2 machines. emachines desktop Vista Premium and alienware notebook XP
    home.
    The desktop is hooked up to comcast cable with a cable modem and a wireless
    Linksys wireless router. My brother accesses my network with his laptop and
    his internal card. I can access the connection from my alienware notebook and
    a Linksys card.
    But.... How can I access the files on my desktop from my notebook and vice
    versa. YES! I know how to enable file and print sharing but whats the next
    step. What is the procedure to actually see the files on my desktop from my
    notebook and vice versa?

    I have read thousands of web page links on the subject and have not seen one
    yet that actually explains this.
    Ok, Im sitting in front of my desktop with Vista. I have my right hand on
    the mouse. Im looking at the screen.
    Ive already enabled file sharing on both machines. (If I did it right).

    What do I do? Where do I go? What do I click on? What do I enter?

    I greatly appreciate anyones time and input, and I tried to include whatever
    info may be needed to answer this.

    Greg

    Starvoyager, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Hi
    There are few ways. The one that make it easy is to Map folders/drives and
    than you can use Windows Explorer to copy etc. just like you do on a single
    computers.
    See here, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html#map
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 3, 2008

  3. Starvoyager

    Starvoyager Guest

    Thanks for the reply. It makes more sense than anything Ive seen yet.
    But... In the vista machine, I open computer the map network drive. I choose
    Z and and then browse, the window comes up with "network" then "Greg PC" then
    "my computer". Greg pc is the name of my vista computer. the name of my
    notebook is hal 9000. The name of my notebook workgroup is "workgroup". When
    I click on the "my computer" I get a log on window for user name and
    password.

    I have no idea what user name and password it wants. Im going to give up and
    forget about it. Its crazy! but thanks Jack for the input.

    Greg

    Starvoyager, Apr 4, 2008
  4. Hi
    All your computers have to be set to the same Workgroup(Network), and each
    one has a unique name.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 4, 2008
  5. Starvoyager

    RxK Guest

    ....dragged and dropped into my OE "saved posts" folder, thank - you
    sooooooooo much Jack !

    regards, Richard

    RxK, Apr 6, 2008