    wizard but no printers were found. Hopefullly there is somone who can help me
    get this to print through our other computer's printer.

    Thanks in advance
    =?Utf-8?B?TmV3IHRvIHdpcmVsZXNz?=, Mar 16, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TmV3IHRvIHdpcmVsZXNz?=

    kapil [MSFT] Guest

    If you already have a network setup where you can communicate between your
    desktop and laptop then you need to share the printer on the desktop so that
    other computers in the network can connect to it.
    This link has some information on printer sharing
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814220

    kapil [MSFT], Mar 16, 2005

  3. I guess we are not totally sure that our two computers are hooked up
    correctly in a network since we still can't find the printer even after going
    through the step to "share" it. as shown on the link. I show two networks on
    the laptop, the Wireless Netowrk connection (which is how I access the
    internet and works fine) and a "1394" connecction which may be what we just
    tried to set up.

    =?Utf-8?B?TmV3IHRvIHdpcmVsZXNz?=, Mar 16, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TmV3IHRvIHdpcmVsZXNz?=

    kapil [MSFT] Guest

    You can try the following on both machines:
    1) Launch command prompt ( click Start > Run > type cmd and hit OK)
    2)Type the command -> ipconfig and then hit enter.
    3) You will get an ipaddress for your box ( it should not be starting with
    169 (169.254.xxx.xxx))
    4) Then try to ping your laptop from the desktop and vice versa ( you will
    need to enable ping in firewall or disable firewall temporarily )
    On the desktop machine bring up the command prompt and use the ping command
    as follows
    >ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -----> where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is you laptop

    ipaddress.

    On the laptop machine bring up the command prompt and use the ping command
    as follows
    >ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -----> where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is you desktop

    ipaddress.

    It you can ping successfully between the two machines then you have
    connectivity and can try to access the share. If ping fails then you need to
    resolve the connectivity issues before trying
    to access the shared printer over the network.

    example of ping:
    C:\ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    Pinging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

    Ping statistics for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), ----> 0% loss means
    you have connectivity 100% loss means connection between the laptop and
    desktop is bad

    kapil [MSFT], Mar 16, 2005
  5. OK we are connected and able to "ping"each other. We added "share" to the
    destop printer but the laptop still doesn't find that printer when i browse
    looking for a printer in the "add a printer wizard" Now what?

    =?Utf-8?B?TmV3IHRvIHdpcmVsZXNz?=, Mar 16, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TmV3IHRvIHdpcmVsZXNz?=

    kapil [MSFT] Guest

    What OS is running on the Desktop and laptop?

    kapil [MSFT], Mar 17, 2005
  7. Just wanted to let you know that we got it printing. Yea! Our last barriers
    were the firewalls and we got around those.

    =?Utf-8?B?TmV3IHRvIHdpcmVsZXNz?=, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Hi, I'm having the same problems here!! Frustrating!! Ive disabled my Orton
    Firewall on both computers but still having trouble sharing printer. What
    did you do to finally succeed? Any help greatly appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGxhbi5TdWU=?=, Apr 15, 2005