    What is this thing, where is it, and how do I kill it off once and for all?

    Interstingly, when I do ctrl-alt-delete, the tasks/processes log doesn't
    come up.

    ©N¥ikuli, Williåm©, Aug 10, 2003

  2. ©N¥ikuli, Williåm©

    Interossiter Guest

    "©N¥ikuli, Williåm©" <****@spammer.notmyreale-mail> wrote in message
    news:i0tZa.3166$...
    > This was what happened, then I had to reinstall windows:
    > http://tinyurl.com/jkgu
    >
    > However, even right now, stuff is still happening:
    >
    > Every 48 hours or so, my computer gives me a message that it has to
    > shut-down, and then it counts down and restarts automatically. This is

    after
    > formatting my hard-drive and reinstalling windows. This was the "infant"
    > stage of the virus before, until the computer started freezing as soon as

    > started it.
    >
    > Avast Anti-Virus didn't detect anything, even during booting.
    >
    > What is this thing, where is it, and how do I kill it off once and for

    all?

    > Interstingly, when I do ctrl-alt-delete, the tasks/processes log doesn't
    > come up.

    Dcom exploit. Get patched to help prevent it and get either Macafee or
    Nortons or any other virus scanner that can detect attempts to stuff you,
    too. Also, if you know how to, get a firewall and block ports 135 and 445
    which seem to be the most common ports for Dcom exploits.

    Interossiter, Aug 11, 2003

  3. ©N¥ikuli, Williåm© wrote:

    > This was what happened, then I had to reinstall windows:
    > http://tinyurl.com/jkgu
    >
    > However, even right now, stuff is still happening:
    >
    > Every 48 hours or so, my computer gives me a message that it has to
    > shut-down, and then it counts down and restarts automatically. This is
    > after formatting my hard-drive and reinstalling windows. This was the
    > "infant" stage of the virus before, until the computer started freezing as
    > soon as I started it.
    >
    > Avast Anti-Virus didn't detect anything, even during booting.
    >
    > What is this thing, where is it, and how do I kill it off once and for
    > all?
    >
    > Interstingly, when I do ctrl-alt-delete, the tasks/processes log doesn't
    > come up.

    DCOM exploit - msblast worm...

    best solution is to install Linux.
    :)