How to kick out someone from my network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Anon, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Hi Guys, I need to solve a problem and I don't know exactly how to do
    it and I thought this is a good place to start.
    I have an office LAN and sometimes when I check the DHCP leases at
    Windows Server (2003) I see sometimes some hosts that don't belong to
    the office, so it means some people sometimes connect personal
    computers (laptops) to the network.
    I need to get rid of it so I would really know the answer for the
    following questions:

    1) Can I kick out that host from the network? (if I just erase the
    lease, the IP is still there and if the dhcp server wants to assign
    that ip to other computer it will get an error of ' another device
    already has that IP' )

    2) How can I ban that hostname so my dhcp server wont assign it an IP
    address?

    I'm kinda lost on how to do it in Windows.... I can think of other
    ways but for now I only want to do it form the win server....

    Thank you very much!

    Rostik
    Anon, Jul 15, 2007

  2. Anon

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <snipped>

    There should be a couple of people here that will help you on this. But you
    should also make this post to comp.secuirty.firewalls as well.
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 15, 2007

  3. Anon

    JANA Guest

    Get a router that has MAC filtering. Maybe the one you have has MAC
    filtering. Set up an allow list for the MAC filter table. You will then need
    a list of all the MAC numbers to allow. Once set up, if the MAC number is
    not entered, any non approved will not work on the network.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 15, 2007
  4. Anon

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:07:28 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi Guys, I need to solve a problem and I don't know exactly how to do
    >it and I thought this is a good place to start.

    No the MS Server newsgroups then?

    >I have an office LAN and sometimes when I check the DHCP leases at
    >Windows Server (2003) I see sometimes some hosts that don't belong to
    >the office, so it means some people sometimes connect personal
    >computers (laptops) to the network.

    Assuming not wireless. That's just a guess as you didn't say.

    >I need to get rid of it so I would really know the answer for the
    >following questions:

    You don't get rid of, you don't give leases in the 1st place.

    Read up about assigning leases based on MAC addresses and

    www.google.com
    dhcp scope pool mac address 2003

    You simple create reservations based on allowed MAC addresses.

    If it's 20 PCs or 20000 the methods are the same, collect MAC addresses,
    verify allowed and use the server tools to script the work and make it
    easier.

    >1) Can I kick out that host from the network? (if I just erase the
    >lease, the IP is still there and if the dhcp server wants to assign
    >that ip to other computer it will get an error of ' another device
    >already has that IP' )

    That's how DHCP works.

    >2) How can I ban that hostname so my dhcp server wont assign it an IP
    >address?

    When the user changes the hostname how do you ban it again?

    >I'm kinda lost on how to do it in Windows.... I can think of other

    Windows 2003 Server Admin trainig course.

    >ways but for now I only want to do it form the win server....

    What no clues!

    >Thank you very much!
    >
    >Rostik

    Me
    why?, Jul 15, 2007
  5. Anon

    Meat Plow Guest

    > Hi Guys, I need to solve a problem and I don't know exactly how to do
    > it and I thought this is a good place to start.
    > I have an office LAN and sometimes when I check the DHCP leases at
    > Windows Server (2003) I see sometimes some hosts that don't belong to
    > the office, so it means some people sometimes connect personal
    > computers (laptops) to the network.
    > I need to get rid of it so I would really know the answer for the
    > following questions:
    >
    > 1) Can I kick out that host from the network? (if I just erase the
    > lease, the IP is still there and if the dhcp server wants to assign
    > that ip to other computer it will get an error of ' another device
    > already has that IP' )
    >
    > 2) How can I ban that hostname so my dhcp server wont assign it an IP
    > address?
    >
    > I'm kinda lost on how to do it in Windows.... I can think of other
    > ways but for now I only want to do it form the win server....
    >
    > Thank you very much!

    Find the person(s) and smash their laptops over their heads. That should
    take care of it.
    Meat Plow, Jul 15, 2007