How to install x86 .inf file over Windows 7 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Interceptor, Aug 11, 2009.

  1. Interceptor

    Interceptor Guest

    I had USB scanner UMAX Astra 4500.
    Hardware info:
    USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10&REV_0000
    USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10
    There is no drivers under Windows 7 64 bit.

    I founded some drivers via internet:

    1. Windows XP x86 driver v.2.6 http://www.yamada.de/ftp/Astra4500xp26.exe
    (inf file inside)
    2. Windows Vista x86 driver v2.6. http://www.yamada.de/ftp/A4500wv.zip
    (inf file inside)
    3. Windows XP x86 driver http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=umax astra 4500
    (inf file inside)

    When I try to install any of this files through Install menu over inf
    file I got error: The INF file your selected does not support this
    method of installation.

    If I try to search driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse for
    driver software on your computer (include subfolders) I got: Windows
    could not find driver software for you device.

    If I try to manually install driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Let me
    pick from a list ... -> Show All devices Next -> Have disk -> Select
    Astra4500.inf -> Ok: The folder you specified doesn't contain a
    compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a
    driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based
    systems.

    I also request UMAX support, but they told that doesn't support more
    this product :(
    How I can install .inf file through troubleshot mode (I know such way
    for exe installers: http://www.techspot.com/blog/354/no-windows-7-drivers-yet-try-using-vistas/
    ?

    Thanks a lot.

    Interceptor, Aug 11, 2009

  2. Interceptor

    Carlos Guest

    Interceptor,
    x86 drivers can't be installed in any way on x64 systems, not even by
    tweaking the inf file.
    Something that could work would be to install a Virtual Machine inside
    Windows 7 x64, setup an x86 OS inside the VM and install the scanner software
    there.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 11, 2009

  3. The Astra 4500 is a very old scanner and Umax never produced any 64-bit
    drivers.

    It is not supported for 64-bit even by Vuescan
    http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#umax as it would require a
    manufacturer produced WIA driver.

    Silverfast http://www.silverfast.com/product/Umax/262/en.html supports
    it, but at the price you would do much better buying a new scanner.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 11, 2009
  4. Interceptor

    Dave T. Guest

    Dominic Payer wrote:
    > The Astra 4500 is a very old scanner and Umax never produced any 64-bit
    > drivers.
    >
    > It is not supported for 64-bit even by Vuescan
    > http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#umax as it would require a
    > manufacturer produced WIA driver.
    >
    > Silverfast http://www.silverfast.com/product/Umax/262/en.html supports
    > it, but at the price you would do much better buying a new scanner.

    May be an error. See the legend.

    http://www.silverfast.com/product/Umax/262/en.html

    This says no compatibility with vista 32 or 64 bit.

    Dave T.
    (who hates top-posting)

    Dave T., Aug 11, 2009
  5. Interceptor

    AfterBurner

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all!

    Is there anybody having the drivers for UMAX Astra 4500 for Windows Vista? Unfortunately, the webpages of yamada.de and scannerdrivers.com are offline.
    Thank you in advance.

    Greets,

    AfterBurner

    AfterBurner, Feb 8, 2011