    My PC came with the CD ROMs for its Windows OS. If I replace its hard
    drive, then it won't have the drivers for the CD ROM drive, so how can I
    install the Windows CD?

    Grey, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Grey

    Ted Nowicki Guest

    The Windows CD-ROM has the drivers for your CD (I'm assuming it's XP). I've
    formatted my laptop many times and re-installed Windows OEM disc from
    skratch and it had the CD working fine.

    And with a different hard drive it's like the samething as formatting your
    existing one but you can have more space.

    If it's Windows 9.x then it might be a problem. If it's an older computer it
    probably would have the drivers, if your installing 9.x on a newer machine
    (2000 +) then it won't have the drivers (it might, but you would need an old
    cd drive).

    I tried to install 98 on my laptop and the cd drive doesn't work.

    Ted Nowicki, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Grey

    Grey Guest

    Thanks for the help Ted. I was thinking about replacing the HD in a windows
    98 PC, but at least it is good to know if I get a new PC then I can replace
    its HD in the future if I need to.

    Grey, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Grey

    Engineer Guest

    Win98 disk is not bootable. You have to start with a win98 Bootdisk to load
    the CD Driver.
    Choose "Start computer with CD ROM support"
    Then it will install Windows98.
    Create a floppy or CD bootdisk.
    You can download a bootdisk file from www.bootdisk.com

    Engineer, Sep 23, 2006
  5. Grey

    Neil Green Guest

    "Grey" <> wrote in message
    > My PC came with the CD ROMs for its Windows OS. If
    > I replace its hard
    > drive, then it won't have the drivers for the CD ROM
    > drive, so how can I
    > install the Windows CD?

    It's far easier to clone your old hard drive using
    True Image or something similar.
    Install the new drive as a slave, clone the old drive
    to it then change the jumpers on the new drive to
    master and remove the old drive and your done.

    Neil Green, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Grey

    Guest

    Engineer wrote:
    > Win98 disk is not bootable. You have to start with a win98 Bootdisk to load
    > the CD Driver.

    the "windows 98 disk", you mean "windows 98 CD" the disc. Is
    bootable.

    it's possible that the windows 98 cd you acquired wasn't made properly.
    e.g. the maker put the contents of a win98 cd onto a cd, and didn't
    include the bootable part.

    > Choose "Start computer with CD ROM support"
    > Then it will install Windows98.
    > Create a floppy or CD bootdisk.
    > You can download a bootdisk file from www.bootdisk.com

    You don't need a WIndows 98 DOS boot disk as you suggest. But you can
    use one, and if you do, then use one with smartdrv, otherwise it will
    take ages.

    Apparently the bootdisk.com site doesn't have smartdrv on their disks.
    Try
    http://www.allbootdisks.com/Disk_Contents/win98.htm
    Disk called "windows 98 without a ramdrive" , has smartdrv.sys
    here is windows 98 without a ramdrive
    http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42...

    Also, for the OP: You can boot off a CD without CD drivers. Booting
    off the windows 98 CD will start the windows 98 setup.
    Booting off a windows 98 dos boot disk , you should choose to load
    cdrom drivers, because you will be running d:\setup.exe i.e. you'll
    be running the windows installation from the cd, from DOS. That
    requires DOS drivers.

    Nevertheless, standard way is windows 98 boot disc. Any windows 98
    disc, the thing that costs $50 or so, bootable.

    Using a windows 98 dos boot disk or disc, is an unnecessary addition.
    Unles your windows 98 disc is not written properly so you can't boot
    from it.

    , Sep 24, 2006