    jump through so many hoops that I decided to try somewhere else while
    waiting for them.

    Thanks for any help!
    phuile, Oct 5, 2007

  2. phuile

    ded Guest

    "phuile" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I need to install (or re-install) the vedio driver for an external
    > monitor for a Dell laptop. It's a Dell monitor, and I've got the
    > driver CD. But when I put the CD into the drive in the laptop, it
    > doesn't recognized any of the files as a drvier. What should I do?
    >
    > I vaguely remember Dell telling me that I can put the .ini file into a
    > folder, but I can't remember which.
    >
    > Can someone help?
    >
    > BTW, I have contacted Dell, but the process is so slow and I have to
    > jump through so many hoops that I decided to try somewhere else while
    > waiting for them.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    You will have to supply more details of what type of monitor
    requires a driver? I think you mean a driver for your laptops
    graphic adapter.
    Your laptop will have connections to enable an external display
    to be connected (VGA, DVI, S-Video etc) normally all that is required
    is to enable the output via the adapters display properties.
    If you are updating the laptops graphics adapter, do it via:
    Device Manager>Display Adapters>*your graphics chipset*
    RIGHT click on it, select: "Update Driver"
    Follow the wizard and browse to the inserted driver CD.
    ded, Oct 5, 2007

  3. phuile

    Buffalo Guest

    "phuile" <> wrote in message
    > I need to install (or re-install) the vedio driver for an external
    > monitor for a Dell laptop. It's a Dell monitor, and I've got the
    > driver CD. But when I put the CD into the drive in the laptop, it
    > doesn't recognized any of the files as a drvier. What should I do?
    >
    > I vaguely remember Dell telling me that I can put the .ini file into a
    > folder, but I can't remember which.
    >
    > Can someone help?
    >
    > BTW, I have contacted Dell, but the process is so slow and I have to
    > jump through so many hoops that I decided to try somewhere else while
    > waiting for them.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    If your are talking about installing the 'drivers' for the external monitor,
    I believe you go into Display Properties,Settings,Advanced,Monitor(select
    the external monitor),Properties,Driver etc.
    You should be able to point it to the .ini file you are talking about.
    Buffalo, Oct 5, 2007
  4. phuile

    Shel-hed Guest

    I don't know laptops, but here is a guess.
    The file isn't a driver per se, but an "inf" file, like INFormation that lets
    your computer know what your monitor can and can't do.
    Use your rt-click on desktop-properties window and surf around for the spot to
    ID the second monitor.
    With my XP system, I have to go to
    properties - settings tab (click drop-down box to show monitor 2) - advanced
    button.

    Shel-hed, Oct 5, 2007