    screw one in,if thats possible, thus I'm doing the pci thing.So I've checked
    for bios upgrade etc. and am at a loss for what to do, are there
    motherboards on which the shared vga memory cannot be disabled? TIA
    Martin Loomis, Aug 21, 2005

  2. Martin Loomis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martin Loomis wrote:
    > I have this sony computer pcv-rs 300, with that shared on board
    > memory and want to put in a 256mb pci video card. Excuse my limited
    > knowledge, I think I have to disable the on board video memory but I
    > see no option in the bios to do so.It is an asus 42302e31 bios, I
    > don't see anything on the motherboard to tell what it is!
    > Interestingly it's a p4 with the agp terminal or whatever you call
    > missing, but there is a spot labeled agp to screw one in,if thats
    > possible, thus I'm doing the pci thing.So I've checked for bios
    > upgrade etc. and am at a loss for what to do, are there motherboards
    > on which the shared vga memory cannot be disabled? TIA

    Many motherboards automatically switch to an add-on video card when it is
    installed.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 21, 2005

  3. Martin Loomis

    knackered Guest

    "Martin Loomis" <> wrote in message
    >I have this sony computer pcv-rs 300, with that shared on board memory and
    >want to put in a 256mb pci video card. Excuse my limited knowledge, I think
    >I have to disable the on board video memory but I see no option in the bios
    >to do so.It is an asus 42302e31 bios, I don't see anything on the
    >motherboard to tell what it is! Interestingly it's a p4 with the agp
    >terminal or whatever you call missing, but there is a spot labeled agp to
    >screw one in,if thats possible, thus I'm doing the pci thing.So I've
    >checked for bios upgrade etc. and am at a loss for what to do, are there
    >motherboards on which the shared vga memory cannot be disabled? TIA

    Hi,
    Be careful, you need to do some homework first...........
    I suspect the type of card you are intending to install is
    "PCI Express", simply this is a relatively new bus interface
    that supposedly promises more than the established AGP.
    "PCI EXPRESS" is Not backward compatible with PCI.
    You require a compatible mobo/chipset, your Sony does
    NOT meet that criteria. Click following links for basic guide:
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=pciegpuso&page=1&cookie_test=1

    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117070,00.asp

    I'm not familiar with your specific Sony, so I maybe wrong,
    but from your description of the absence of an AGP port...
    I suspect you are lumbered with it's on-board graphics adapter.
    knackered, Aug 21, 2005
  4. On 8/21/2005 3:39 PM or thereabouts, knackered appears, somewhat
    unbelievably, to have opined:

    > "Martin Loomis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have this sony computer pcv-rs 300, with that shared on board memory and
    >>want to put in a 256mb pci video card. Excuse my limited knowledge, I think
    >>I have to disable the on board video memory but I see no option in the bios
    >>to do so.It is an asus 42302e31 bios, I don't see anything on the
    >>motherboard to tell what it is! Interestingly it's a p4 with the agp
    >>terminal or whatever you call missing, but there is a spot labeled agp to
    >>screw one in,if thats possible, thus I'm doing the pci thing.So I've
    >>checked for bios upgrade etc. and am at a loss for what to do, are there
    >>motherboards on which the shared vga memory cannot be disabled? TIA
    >>

    > Hi,
    > Be careful, you need to do some homework first...........
    > I suspect the type of card you are intending to install is
    > "PCI Express", simply this is a relatively new bus interface
    > that supposedly promises more than the established AGP.
    > "PCI EXPRESS" is Not backward compatible with PCI.
    > You require a compatible mobo/chipset, your Sony does
    > NOT meet that criteria. Click following links for basic guide:
    > http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=pciegpuso&page=1&cookie_test=1
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117070,00.asp
    >
    > I'm not familiar with your specific Sony, so I maybe wrong,
    > but from your description of the absence of an AGP port...
    > I suspect you are lumbered with it's on-board graphics adapter.

    There are still old-fashioned PCI graphics cards available ... although,
    I don't think I've ever seen one with 256MB.

    --
    As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
    Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.
    Dennis Turner, Aug 22, 2005