    (Someone goofed when installing new hardware on my machine and ruined my
    bios. I'm hoping this download will fix the problem.)
    , Nov 16, 2007

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I downloaded an updated bios file from Dell. It's an exe file. Does
    > anyone know how I install it?
    >
    > (Someone goofed when installing new hardware on my machine and ruined my
    > bios. I'm hoping this download will fix the problem.)

    Do it properly !!
    Read here...
    http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&cat=sup&k=bios
    meerkat, Nov 16, 2007

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    >I downloaded an updated bios file from Dell. It's an exe file. Does
    >anyone know how I install it?
    >
    >(Someone goofed when installing new hardware on my machine and ruined my
    >bios. I'm hoping this download will fix the problem.)

    You need to run the update outside of windows or other OS.
    Floppy disk, Bootable CD, or bootable USB pen drive.

    A driver less disk is available at www.bootdisk.com
    http://bootdisk.com/txtfiles/bios.txt
    --

    $200 Walmart computer unpacked
    www.mattcutts.com/blog/unboxing-the-everex-200-linux-computer/
  4. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > I downloaded an updated bios file from Dell. It's an exe file. Does
    > anyone know how I install it?
    >
    > (Someone goofed when installing new hardware on my machine and ruined
    > my bios. I'm hoping this download will fix the problem.)

    Note: a BIOS completely ruined makes a computer unable to boot at all,
    so make *absolutely* sure you have the bios for your *exact* model or
    you're talking about some expensive hardware repairs. Also save a backup
    of your BIOS when you do update it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 16, 2007
  5. why? Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:29:35 -0600, wrote:

    >I downloaded an updated bios file from Dell. It's an exe file. Does
    >anyone know how I install it?
    >
    >(Someone goofed when installing new hardware on my machine and ruined my
    >bios. I'm hoping this download will fix the problem.)

    Dell do, last time I flashed a Dell PC there were instructions. Not that
    I needed to use them, common sense and flashed other systems before.

    For example
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R33556
    links to
    http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...aseid=R33556&formatcnt=2&libid=0&fileid=36989
    with this heading - Installation Instructions

    If the BIOS is already dud, you may be better off with
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums?~ck=ln&lnki=0&nav=true
    Forum Home

    Me
    why?, Nov 16, 2007
  6. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I downloaded an updated bios file from Dell. It's an exe file. Does
    > anyone know how I install it?
    >
    > (Someone goofed when installing new hardware on my machine and ruined my
    > bios. I'm hoping this download will fix the problem.)

    The download will do you no good.

    Not sure how one could wipe out the bios by installing H/W...but if the bios
    was in fact destroyed...
    your machine would not boot and it would not be possible to reflash the
    bios.

    If it was simply a case of having the settings scrambled...
    all you have to do is use the bios reset jumper to return the machine to
    default settings
    philo, Nov 17, 2007