    Can anyone advise how to install please?

    Many thanks,

    Ron.

    Ronnie Davis, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Ronnie Davis

    Old Gringo Guest

    Ronnie Davis wrote:
    > Looking to install OpenOffice from the openoffice.org website.
    >
    > I have been told that it's not as easy to install as most programs and that
    > there is a special way to install if there are a number of users that have
    > profiles on your computer.
    >
    > Can anyone advise how to install please?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Ron.

    Hi Ronnie. I have OpenOffice and don't recall any difficulties with
    the installation. It seems to be a takeoff of StarOffice 5.2 from
    SunMicro Systems, with not quite as many bells and whistles.
    Download and follow the on screen instructions. Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Ronnie Davis

    Ronnie Davis Guest

    Thanx OG.

    So u didnt have to do anything special to enable several users on the same
    PC to be able to use?

    Someone here mentioned that it doesnt create menu entries for all users?!?!

    Ron.

    Ronnie Davis, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Ronnie Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    It's a simple matter to create menu entries for
    all users, if that's what you want. In Windows
    Explorer, drag the 'OpenOffice' start menu entry
    folder from:

    \Documents and Settings\<user>\Start Menu\Programs\

    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:58:25 -0000, in
    <>
    "Ronnie Davis" <rond@[nospamta]rond.net> scrawled:

    >Thanx OG.
    >
    >So u didnt have to do anything special to enable several users on the same
    >PC to be able to use?
    >
    >Someone here mentioned that it doesnt create menu entries for all users?!?!
    >
    >Ron.
    >

    >"Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> Ronnie Davis wrote:
    >> > Looking to install OpenOffice from the openoffice.org website.
    >> >
    >> > I have been told that it's not as easy to install as most programs and

    >that
    >> > there is a special way to install if there are a number of users that

    >have
    >> > profiles on your computer.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone advise how to install please?
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Ron.
    >> >

    >> Hi Ronnie. I have OpenOffice and don't recall any difficulties with
    >> the installation. It seems to be a takeoff of StarOffice 5.2 from
    >> SunMicro Systems, with not quite as many bells and whistles.
    >> Download and follow the on screen instructions. Good Luck
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo George
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Ronnie Davis

    Old Gringo Guest

    Ronnie Davis wrote:
    > Thanx OG.
    >
    > So u didnt have to do anything special to enable several users on the same
    > PC to be able to use?
    >
    > Someone here mentioned that it doesnt create menu entries for all users?!?!
    >
    > Ron.
    >

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ronnie Davis wrote:
    >>
    >>>Looking to install OpenOffice from the openoffice.org website.
    >>>
    >>>I have been told that it's not as easy to install as most programs and

    > that
    >
    >>>there is a special way to install if there are a number of users that

    > have
    >
    >>>profiles on your computer.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone advise how to install please?
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Ron.

    It's a freebie and I am not finding multiple entries as far as users
    are concerned. You might want to try StarOffice 7 from SunMicro
    Systems or Office 2003 from MicroSoft.

    Old Gringo, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Ronnie Davis

    Ronnie Davis Guest

    Thanx Mike, I'll give it a try.

    Ron.

    Ronnie Davis, Nov 11, 2004
  7. Ronnie Davis

    Ronnie Davis Guest

    Thanx Mike, I'll give it a try.

    Ron.

    Ronnie Davis, Nov 11, 2004
  8. Ronnie Davis

    Ronnie Davis Guest

    Thanx. I am gonna try OpenOffice. I have heard good reports. It will do what
    I want it to as in general office stuff and it's free :eek:)

    Ron.

    Ronnie Davis, Nov 11, 2004
  9. Ronnie Davis

    Old Gringo Guest

    Ronnie Davis wrote:
    > Thanx. I am gonna try OpenOffice. I have heard good reports. It will do what
    > I want it to as in general office stuff and it's free :eek:)

    Good Luck :)

    Old Gringo, Nov 11, 2004
  10. Ronnie Davis

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:21:10 -0000, "Ronnie Davis"
    <rond@[nospamta]rond.net> wrote:

    >Looking to install OpenOffice from the openoffice.org website.
    >
    >I have been told that it's not as easy to install as most programs and that
    >there is a special way to install if there are a number of users that have
    >profiles on your computer.
    >
    >Can anyone advise how to install please?
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >
    >Ron.

    For the Windows version you just unzip the downloaded file into a new
    directory and then run setup.exe.

    Joel Rubin, Nov 11, 2004
  11. Ronnie Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 11, 2004
  12. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    11 Nov 2004 15:58:25 -0000, "Ronnie Davis" <rond@[nospamta]rond.net>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Thanx OG.
    >
    >So u didnt have to do anything special to enable several users on the same
    >PC to be able to use?
    >
    >Someone here mentioned that it doesnt create menu entries for all users?!?!
    >
    >Ron.
    >

    >"Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> Ronnie Davis wrote:
    >> > Looking to install OpenOffice from the openoffice.org website.
    >> >
    >> > I have been told that it's not as easy to install as most programs and

    >that
    >> > there is a special way to install if there are a number of users that

    >have
    >> > profiles on your computer.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone advise how to install please?
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Ron.
    >> >

    >> Hi Ronnie. I have OpenOffice and don't recall any difficulties with
    >> the installation. It seems to be a takeoff of StarOffice 5.2 from
    >> SunMicro Systems, with not quite as many bells and whistles.
    >> Download and follow the on screen instructions. Good Luck

    <piggy backing on post from Ron Davis>

    Actually, OpenOffice is the open source version of Star Office that
    Sun released to the general public. It's just like Mozilla is the open
    source version of Netscape, which is owned by AOL (yuck.)

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 11, 2004
  13. Howdy!

    "Ronnie Davis" <rond@[nospamta]rond.net> wrote in message
    > Looking to install OpenOffice from the openoffice.org website.
    >
    > I have been told that it's not as easy to install as most programs and

    that
    > there is a special way to install if there are a number of users that have
    > profiles on your computer.
    >
    > Can anyone advise how to install please?

    According to the Setup Instructions, after you unpack it, you run
    "SETUP -NET" from the command line.

    Then you run the Setup shortcut that's in the program files folder
    you picked for Open Office for each user (I put a copy of the shortcut in
    the "Documents And Settings\All Users\Start Menu" folder ... )

    BTW - This IS in the setup instructions. You DO read the manual,
    right? Right?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 12, 2004
  14. Ronnie Davis

    Ronnie Davis Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Ronnie Davis" <rond@[nospamta]rond.net> wrote in message
    > > Looking to install OpenOffice from the openoffice.org website.
    > >
    > > I have been told that it's not as easy to install as most programs and

    > that
    > > there is a special way to install if there are a number of users that

    have
    > > profiles on your computer.
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise how to install please?

    > According to the Setup Instructions, after you unpack it, you run
    > "SETUP -NET" from the command line.
    >
    > Then you run the Setup shortcut that's in the program files folder
    > you picked for Open Office for each user (I put a copy of the shortcut in
    > the "Documents And Settings\All Users\Start Menu" folder ... )
    >
    > BTW - This IS in the setup instructions. You DO read the manual,
    > right? Right?
    >
    > RwP

    Thanks for all the advice people.

    RwP: Yes I did read the setup pdf that comes with the software but either I
    didn't read it properly and understand or it just wasn't clear to me.

    I am assuming reading Page 9 of the pdf that a multi-user and network
    installation are the same .. NOT different setup procedures.

    Once again many thanx.

    Ron.

    Ronnie Davis, Nov 12, 2004