    I am fairly new to routers and I haven't done a module install
    earlier. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.

    Dritix
    dritix, Oct 16, 2004

  2. dritix

    Tax Johnson Guest

    "dritix" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am trying to install NM-1E module on my 2611XM router but I can't
    > seem to get it to work. Cisco site says that all you need to do is
    > basically plug it in and it should appear on the interface list of the
    > router. However, this is not the case. The enable LED goes ON when
    > the router goes thru its self test but then it goes back OFF.
    >
    > I am fairly new to routers and I haven't done a module install
    > earlier. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Dritix

    What version of IOS ( "show version" ) are you running?

    According to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/etne__p2.htm you
    need at least
    11.3(4)T
    Tax Johnson, Oct 16, 2004

  3. dritix

    dritix Guest

    As far as I remember (i am not by the router right now) it is 12.x .
    Therefore I assume the IOS is not the problem here.
    How would you normally install it? I mean, would you just plug it in
    and it would automatically show in the interface list? Am I missing
    something?

    Dritix

    dritix, Oct 16, 2004
  4. dritix

    Ben Guest

    Sounds like you powered off to install so that's a good thing. Try reseating
    it if you haven't already and try again.

    Next when the router boots do a 'show diag' and see if it has recognised any
    hardware in that slot at all.

    If it comes up with a bunch of information for slot x the module should be
    ok. If not you may have some bad hardware - chassis or module.

    Ben, Oct 17, 2004
  5. dritix wrote:
    > I am trying to install NM-1E module on my 2611XM router but I can't
    > seem to get it to work. Cisco site says that all you need to do is
    > basically plug it in and it should appear on the interface list of the
    > router.

    Yes, but if You have IOS that supports this card. Someone mentioned
    this page:

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/etne__p2.htm

    but this is info for OLD 2600 routers. The XM-ones need newer IOSes,
    and for the NM-1E on 2600XM I would go for 12.3 "stable" line,
    or 12.2(2)T/12.2(11)YT images (according to Software Advisor).

    --
    this space was intentionally left blank | £ukasz Bromirski
    you can insert your favourite quote here | lukasz:bromirski,net
    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?=A3ukasz_Bromirski?=, Oct 17, 2004
  6. dritix

    dritix Guest

    I believe we have the right IOS version, but still I can't see what is
    wrong. This is what I get with sh ver:

    *******************

    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-ENTBASE-M), Version 12.3(10), RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (f
    c3)
    Compiled Tue 17-Aug-04 05:11 by kellythw
    Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x812BED44

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r], RELEASE SOFTWARE
    (fc1)

    Router uptime is 11 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2600-entbase-mz.123-10.bin"

    cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x301) with 125952K/5120K
    bytes of me
    mory.
    Processor board ID FOC08290E47 (1279321586)
    M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    As you see, there are the 2 fastethernet interfaces that came with the
    router, but no ethernet interface shows up from the NM card?

    Any ideas...

    dritix

    dritix, Oct 18, 2004