    I could download the file for him and send it to him on floppy...but how to
    proceed from there?
    Thanks.

    OrmesbyJohn, Apr 5, 2004

  2. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    First of all, you need to specify which variant of
    Netsky. They go from A to S, so far. Also, a
    version of Windows might help.

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:22:54 +0100, in
    <c4sf6v$mca$>
    OrmesbyJohn scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 5, 2004

  3. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    W32/Netsky-D
    W98
    -----------------------

    OrmesbyJohn, Apr 5, 2004
  4. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    Netsky.D
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    Removal tool (Read the instructions)
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    Seeing that it's Windows 98, you could also download
    and update the free DOS version of F-Prot. Download
    and unzip everything into C:\Fprot and you can
    scan the system from DOS.
    ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/dos/fp-314e.zip
    ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/fp-def.zip
    ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/nomacro.def
    ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/macrdef2.zip
    ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/sign.zip
    ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/sign2.zip

    Art Kopp's F-Prot updater is very handy, too.
    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/f-pup.exe

    Place it in the same folder, and create a shortcut on
    the start menu.

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:43:30 +0100, in
    <c4sgdk$ppm$>
    OrmesbyJohn scrawled:

    °Mike°, Apr 5, 2004
  5. OrmesbyJohn wrote:

    > Friend foolishly opened an attachment and finds he is well and truly
    > infected.
    > He's identified the Worm - Netsky - and Symantec Norton AntiVirus do a fix
    > for it but he now can't boot up Windows nor log-on line to download and
    > install the fix....
    > Is there anyway around this?
    > I could download the file for him and send it to him on floppy...but how to
    > proceed from there?
    > Thanks.

    Mike's tip is a very good one.

    Personally I'd see if I could get the system to boot enough to allow
    recovery of files. After that I'd wipe the disk and do a fresh windows
    install.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands

    Jeroen Wijnands, Apr 6, 2004
  6. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    TVM for the useful info...I've passed this on to frustrated mate :)
    ----------

    OrmesbyJohn, Apr 6, 2004
  7. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    message news:40726b9d$0$565$4all.nl...
    > OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    >
    > > Friend foolishly opened an attachment and finds he is well and truly
    > > infected.
    > > He's identified the Worm - Netsky - and Symantec Norton AntiVirus do a

    fix
    > > for it but he now can't boot up Windows nor log-on line to download and
    > > install the fix....
    > > Is there anyway around this?
    > > I could download the file for him and send it to him on floppy...but how

    > > proceed from there?
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Mike's tip is a very good one.
    >
    > Personally I'd see if I could get the system to boot enough to allow
    > recovery of files. After that I'd wipe the disk and do a fresh windows
    > install.

    -----------------------
    TVM.
    How will he be able to wipe disc and do clean install?
    Friend doesn't have a W98 CD as the OS was installed when he bought the
    machine.
    He does have an XP CD however. How does he proceed...presumably just insert
    the XP CD and follow instructions for formatting and partitioning and
    installing Windows XP?
    Thanks again.

    OrmesbyJohn, Apr 6, 2004
  8. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:46:24 +0100, in
    <c4u1q1$vrq$>
    OrmesbyJohn scrawled:

    >TVM for the useful info...I've passed this on to frustrated mate :)
    >----------
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Netsky.D

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 6, 2004
  9. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    Mike, its just dawned ...I have a W98 CD...Would friend be able to use this
    to log on (in order to install the fix) in these circumstances would you
    think?
    Thanks
    ---------------------

    OrmesbyJohn, Apr 6, 2004
  10. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    No. Can you download the removal tool for your
    friend, and have him boot into Safe Mode to run it?

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:49:20 +0100, in
    <c4v1k1$pbr$>
    OrmesbyJohn scrawled:

    °Mike°, Apr 6, 2004
  11. OrmesbyJohn

    Guest

    "OrmesbyJohn" <> wrote in message news:<c4u226$bs$>...
    > "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    > message news:40726b9d$0$565$4all.nl...
    > > OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    > >
    > > > Friend foolishly opened an attachment and finds he is well and truly
    > > > infected.
    > > > He's identified the Worm - Netsky - and Symantec Norton AntiVirus do a

    > fix
    > > > for it but he now can't boot up Windows nor log-on line to download and
    > > > install the fix....
    > > > Is there anyway around this?
    > > > I could download the file for him and send it to him on floppy...but how

    > > > proceed from there?
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >

    > > Mike's tip is a very good one.
    > >
    > > Personally I'd see if I could get the system to boot enough to allow
    > > recovery of files. After that I'd wipe the disk and do a fresh windows
    > > install.

    > -----------------------
    > TVM.
    > How will he be able to wipe disc and do clean install?
    > Friend doesn't have a W98 CD as the OS was installed when he bought the
    > machine.

    Shame
    > He does have an XP CD however. How does he proceed...presumably just insert
    > the XP CD and follow instructions for formatting and partitioning and
    > installing Windows XP?

    Yeah, that's the idea. The XP install is quite friendly in that. Of
    course his machine should meet the XP hardware requirments before hé
    can consider this.

    Jeroen

    , Apr 7, 2004
  12. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    > > "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    > > message news:40726b9d$0$565$4all.nl...

    > > fix

    and

    how

    > > > Mike's tip is a very good one.
    > > >
    > > > Personally I'd see if I could get the system to boot enough to allow
    > > > recovery of files. After that I'd wipe the disk and do a fresh windows
    > > > install.

    > > -----------------------
    > > TVM.
    > > How will he be able to wipe disc and do clean install?
    > > Friend doesn't have a W98 CD as the OS was installed when he bought the
    > > machine.

    > Shame
    > > He does have an XP CD however. How does he proceed...presumably just

    insert
    > > the XP CD and follow instructions for formatting and partitioning and
    > > installing Windows XP?

    > Yeah, that's the idea. The XP install is quite friendly in that. Of
    > course his machine should meet the XP hardware requirments before hé
    > can consider this.
    >
    > Jeroen

    ------------------------
    Ah, now that info I don't know - it's certainly not a very recent machine.
    Would you know what is the minimum hardware requirement for XP...or where
    that info can be obtained?
    Thanks

    OrmesbyJohn, Apr 7, 2004
  13. OrmesbyJohn

    Roy Jones Guest

    OrmesbyJohn wrote:

    > "" <4all.nl> wrote in message
    >
    >>"OrmesbyJohn" <> wrote in message

    >>>"Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    >>>message news:40726b9d$0$565$4all.nl...

    >>> fix

    > and

    > how

    >>>-----------------------
    >>>TVM.
    >>>How will he be able to wipe disc and do clean install?
    >>>Friend doesn't have a W98 CD as the OS was installed when he bought the
    >>>machine.

    >>Shame
    >>
    >>>He does have an XP CD however. How does he proceed...presumably just

    > insert
    >
    >>>the XP CD and follow instructions for formatting and partitioning and
    >>>installing Windows XP?

    >>Yeah, that's the idea. The XP install is quite friendly in that. Of
    >>course his machine should meet the XP hardware requirments before hé
    >>can consider this.
    >>
    >>Jeroen

    > ------------------------
    > Ah, now that info I don't know - it's certainly not a very recent machine.
    > Would you know what is the minimum hardware requirement for XP...or where
    > that info can be obtained?
    > Thanks

    Stop me if somebody has already suggested this...
    Try slaving the disk to a clean HD that has the OS and a fully updated
    anti-virus loaded. You can run the scan from the master disk and do
    whatever repairs are necessary to the files and then put the slave disk
    back in its original machine.

    Roy

    Roy Jones, Apr 10, 2004