    x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
    , Sep 23, 2003

  2. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:04:26 +0000, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

    > When you install an extra hard drive using windows XP operating system do
    > you have to partition the new drive?? Once installed I want to restore an
    > image of my original drive to the new one using Norton Ghost. Once the image
    > is restored on the new drive what next?? Can I just unplug the new drive and
    > leave it mounted until I actually need it or what. I would love to teach
    > myself how to do this and if anybody is familar with Norton Ghost then maybe
    > we can get some post going here related to the subject, thanks.

    What you do is entirely up to you. Install your new hard drive as a slave
    to your old one. From the control panel right click on the new drive and
    select format from the drop down menu to create a file system on your new
    drive. After that you can read and write to it.

    If you want you can use Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image to transfer
    your data, however from a command prompt you can do this from within XP by
    using the 'xcopy' command. It's devilishly slow, but you won't need to
    shell out hard earned cash.

    http://tinyurl.com/nls9

    Hard disk partitioning is a very good idea because it seperates your
    Operating System from your valuable data. My WinXP disc, a 40Gb
    7200rpm Maxtor Fireball, is partitioned thus: C:/ 10Gb,ntfs, Windows;
    D:/20Gb,ntfs, data; E:/ 10Gb, Fat32, backups and file swaps (from my
    Linux OS). Use whatever utility you like to achieve this, but if you
    haven't done it before I *would* suggest Partition Magic because it has an
    easy to understand graphical interface.

    Caveat: before fiddling with anything: backup, make a backup, oh, did I
    forget to mention: backup your data. That's your data, not applications,
    your OS, or games. But data. The stuff that you can't get back easily if
    you stuff up and erase your disc accidentally. If you have the original
    CDs of everything else you can re-install them. But not your data.

    > I would love to teach myself how to do this

    This is a very good start. Now wander over to Google and do some
    searching. Come back with some well phrased questions, and you'll probably
    get some very good responses.

    B.
    B. Al. Zeebub, Sep 24, 2003