    version of IE and Windows XP home ed.

    Can some kind soul assist me with this problem.

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 1, 2007

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Suddenly I cannot access Windows Update - a pop up tells me to install
    > Active X Control by right clicking the information bar in IE and
    > install from there. I do not have an information bar in IE nor can I
    > find a method for installing the ActiveX application.
    >
    > I have never had prior problems updating windows? I have the latest
    > version of IE and Windows XP home ed.

    latest version - as in IE7 and XP SP2?

    > Can some kind soul assist me with this problem.

    I'm not a very kind soul, but I can try <g>

    I just went through this with my Mom's PC - she's on dialup though, and I
    think her's was just a timing problem.

    That "information bar" that MS refers to is a pop-up sort of thing. It isn't
    there until it's needed. Then it comes up right at the very top of the
    normal browing window (below the normal toolbars and such.) Wait for it.
    Sometimes it takes a few minutes, even on my broadband (cable, like yours)
    connection. If it doesn't show up, you can press "F5" (refresh) to reload
    the screen and try again. Or the back button, and click on the link that
    took you forward (again, reloading the page).

    See if a little perserverance pays off - if not, post back. There are
    sometimes other issues that cause problems, and can be looked into.
    Sometimes clearing the temporary Internet files cache helps, other times
    it's a security setting, things like that.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 1, 2007