    do I install using the ISO image on the flash drive, or do I load that
    ISO image to a file on the netbook and install the app from that file?

    Any and all suggestions are welcome.

    Teflon, Dec 4, 2010

  2. Teflon

    PeeCee Guest

    On 5/12/2010 10:35 a.m., Teflon wrote:
    > I have several Berlitz Premier Language Software Courses that are
    > packaged on multiple CD's. I have successfully installed these apps
    > on my desktop PC, but would like to take them with me when I travel.
    > I have a netbook PC that has USB ports, but does not have an optical
    > drive. I was wondering if I could use the desktop computer to copy
    > those CD's to a USB flash drive and then install the app on the
    > netbook from the flash drive? If so, do I just copy those CD's to the
    > flash drive, or do I have to make an ISO image of the CD's. And then,
    > do I install using the ISO image on the flash drive, or do I load that
    > ISO image to a file on the netbook and install the app from that file?
    >
    > Any and all suggestions are welcome.

    If it is a case of just installing the software (ie the CD's don't have
    to be present for the software to run) then either:

    1: Try copying the CD's content to a USB stick and see if the software
    will install from there.
    2: Buy/Borrow an external USB CD (or DVD) drive (Recommended as this is
    how you reinstall Windows on a Netbook anyway)
    3: 'Share' the DVD drive on your Desktop PC and 'Map' the 'Shared'
    Desktop DVD drive to your Netbook over your LAN (My Network
    Places/Network Neighbourhood)

    If on the otherhand the CD must be present for the software to run try
    Daemon Tools Lite:
    http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon.

    With this tool you create a 'virtual' CD Drive on your Netbook.
    You then use Daemon Tools to create a file that is a 'image' copy of
    your CD (s).
    Then when you want the CD loaded to run the software you just open
    Daemon Tools and load the image of the CD you want into it's 'Virtual'
    CD drive.
    Though all done in software, as far as Windows is concerned it is a real
    CD drive with your CD loaded.
    (Note you'll need to install the CD software from this virtual drive image)

    In your case, not having a CD/DVD drive on your Netbook, the easiest way
    is to also install Daemon Tools on your desktop PC, create the CD image
    files there and copy these image files by USB stick to your Netbook.

    I have successfully used Daemon Tools like this for a Geneology buff
    that has the Multi CD Census sets that run into the 30's in number.
    That way he only had to take his Laptop and not the great wallet of CD's
    with him when he was visiting relatives.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 4, 2010

  3. Teflon

    Teflon Guest

    On Dec 4, 3:36 pm, PeeCee <> wrote:
    > On 5/12/2010 10:35 a.m., Teflon wrote:
    >
    > > I have several Berlitz Premier Language Software Courses that are
    > > packaged on multiple CD's.  I have successfully installed these apps
    > > on my desktop PC, but would like to take them with me when I travel.
    > > I have a netbook PC that has USB ports, but does not have an optical
    > > drive.  I was wondering if I could use the desktop computer to copy
    > > those CD's to a USB flash drive and then install the app on the
    > > netbook from the flash drive?  If so, do I just copy those CD's to the
    > > flash drive, or do I have to make an ISO image of the CD's.  And then,
    > > do I install using the ISO image on the flash drive, or do I load that
    > > ISO image to a file on the netbook and install the app from that file?

    > > Any and all suggestions are welcome.

    > If it is a case of just installing the software (ie the CD's don't have
    > to be present for the software to run) then either:
    >
    > 1: Try copying the CD's content to a USB stick and see if the software
    > will install from there.
    > 2: Buy/Borrow an external USB CD (or DVD) drive (Recommended as this is
    > how you reinstall Windows on a Netbook anyway)
    > 3: 'Share' the DVD drive on your Desktop PC and 'Map' the 'Shared'
    > Desktop DVD drive to your Netbook over your LAN (My Network
    > Places/Network Neighbourhood)
    >
    > If on the otherhand the CD must be present for the software to run try
    > Daemon Tools Lite:http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon.
    >
    > With this tool you create a 'virtual' CD Drive on your Netbook.
    > You then use Daemon Tools to create a file that is a 'image' copy of
    > your CD (s).
    > Then when you want the CD loaded to run the software you just open
    > Daemon Tools and load the image of the CD you want into it's 'Virtual'
    > CD drive.
    > Though all done in software, as far as Windows is concerned it is a real
    > CD drive with your CD loaded.
    > (Note you'll need to install the CD software from this virtual drive image)
    >
    > In your case, not having a CD/DVD drive on your Netbook, the easiest way
    > is to also install Daemon Tools on your desktop PC, create the CD image
    > files there and copy these image files by USB stick to your Netbook.
    >
    > I have successfully used Daemon Tools like this for a Geneology buff
    > that has the Multi CD Census sets that run into the 30's in number.
    > That way he only had to take his Laptop and not the great wallet of CD's
    > with him when he was visiting relatives.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Thanks for pointing me to this very useful tool. All is well with
    Berlitz.

    Teflon, Dec 5, 2010
  4. Teflon

    Teflon Guest

    On Dec 4, 3:36 pm, PeeCee <> wrote:
    > On 5/12/2010 10:35 a.m., Teflon wrote:
    >
    > > I have several Berlitz Premier Language Software Courses that are
    > > packaged on multiple CD's.  I have successfully installed these apps
    > > on my desktop PC, but would like to take them with me when I travel.
    > > I have a netbook PC that has USB ports, but does not have an optical
    > > drive.  I was wondering if I could use the desktop computer to copy
    > > those CD's to a USB flash drive and then install the app on the
    > > netbook from the flash drive?  If so, do I just copy those CD's to the
    > > flash drive, or do I have to make an ISO image of the CD's.  And then,
    > > do I install using the ISO image on the flash drive, or do I load that
    > > ISO image to a file on the netbook and install the app from that file?

    > > Any and all suggestions are welcome.

    > If it is a case of just installing the software (ie the CD's don't have
    > to be present for the software to run) then either:
    >
    > 1: Try copying the CD's content to a USB stick and see if the software
    > will install from there.
    > 2: Buy/Borrow an external USB CD (or DVD) drive (Recommended as this is
    > how you reinstall Windows on a Netbook anyway)
    > 3: 'Share' the DVD drive on your Desktop PC and 'Map' the 'Shared'
    > Desktop DVD drive to your Netbook over your LAN (My Network
    > Places/Network Neighbourhood)
    >
    > If on the otherhand the CD must be present for the software to run try
    > Daemon Tools Lite:http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon.
    >
    > With this tool you create a 'virtual' CD Drive on your Netbook.
    > You then use Daemon Tools to create a file that is a 'image' copy of
    > your CD (s).
    > Then when you want the CD loaded to run the software you just open
    > Daemon Tools and load the image of the CD you want into it's 'Virtual'
    > CD drive.
    > Though all done in software, as far as Windows is concerned it is a real
    > CD drive with your CD loaded.
    > (Note you'll need to install the CD software from this virtual drive image)
    >
    > In your case, not having a CD/DVD drive on your Netbook, the easiest way
    > is to also install Daemon Tools on your desktop PC, create the CD image
    > files there and copy these image files by USB stick to your Netbook.
    >
    > I have successfully used Daemon Tools like this for a Geneology buff
    > that has the Multi CD Census sets that run into the 30's in number.
    > That way he only had to take his Laptop and not the great wallet of CD's
    > with him when he was visiting relatives.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    I am now giving this a try, and have a question. When I make an image
    of the installation CD on a USB stick, to transfer that image to the
    HDD of my new computer, with the intent of using that image to install
    the application, what file format do I select to create that
    image, .iso .mdx or .mds. Or am I going the long way around here?

    Teflon, Dec 9, 2010
  5. Teflon

    PeeCee Guest

    On 9/12/2010 6:01 p.m., Teflon wrote:
    > On Dec 4, 3:36 pm, PeeCee<> wrote:
    >> On 5/12/2010 10:35 a.m., Teflon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have several Berlitz Premier Language Software Courses that are
    >>> packaged on multiple CD's. I have successfully installed these apps
    >>> on my desktop PC, but would like to take them with me when I travel.
    >>> I have a netbook PC that has USB ports, but does not have an optical
    >>> drive. I was wondering if I could use the desktop computer to copy
    >>> those CD's to a USB flash drive and then install the app on the
    >>> netbook from the flash drive? If so, do I just copy those CD's to the
    >>> flash drive, or do I have to make an ISO image of the CD's. And then,
    >>> do I install using the ISO image on the flash drive, or do I load that
    >>> ISO image to a file on the netbook and install the app from that file?

    >>> Any and all suggestions are welcome.

    >> If it is a case of just installing the software (ie the CD's don't have
    >> to be present for the software to run) then either:
    >>
    >> 1: Try copying the CD's content to a USB stick and see if the software
    >> will install from there.
    >> 2: Buy/Borrow an external USB CD (or DVD) drive (Recommended as this is
    >> how you reinstall Windows on a Netbook anyway)
    >> 3: 'Share' the DVD drive on your Desktop PC and 'Map' the 'Shared'
    >> Desktop DVD drive to your Netbook over your LAN (My Network
    >> Places/Network Neighbourhood)
    >>
    >> If on the otherhand the CD must be present for the software to run try
    >> Daemon Tools Lite:http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon.
    >>
    >> With this tool you create a 'virtual' CD Drive on your Netbook.
    >> You then use Daemon Tools to create a file that is a 'image' copy of
    >> your CD (s).
    >> Then when you want the CD loaded to run the software you just open
    >> Daemon Tools and load the image of the CD you want into it's 'Virtual'
    >> CD drive.
    >> Though all done in software, as far as Windows is concerned it is a real
    >> CD drive with your CD loaded.
    >> (Note you'll need to install the CD software from this virtual drive image)
    >>
    >> In your case, not having a CD/DVD drive on your Netbook, the easiest way
    >> is to also install Daemon Tools on your desktop PC, create the CD image
    >> files there and copy these image files by USB stick to your Netbook.
    >>
    >> I have successfully used Daemon Tools like this for a Geneology buff
    >> that has the Multi CD Census sets that run into the 30's in number.
    >> That way he only had to take his Laptop and not the great wallet of CD's
    >> with him when he was visiting relatives.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > I am now giving this a try, and have a question. When I make an image
    > of the installation CD on a USB stick, to transfer that image to the
    > HDD of my new computer, with the intent of using that image to install
    > the application, what file format do I select to create that
    > image, .iso .mdx or .mds. Or am I going the long way around here?

    It's a while since I have used Daemon Tools so I checked my Daemon Tolls
    'Image' folder and found each CD Image consists of 'two' files.
    The larger file had an .mdf extension, the second (quite small) had a
    ..mds extension.

    Since it's a while since I had created an Image I popped in a CD that
    happended to be lying around and the default extension that Daemon Tools
    offered was .mdx.
    As soon as I tried to create the Image however, Daemon Tools locked up
    while trying to read the CD.
    Bugger! I think it may be a Windows 7/64bit thing so I'll experiment
    with my 32bit OS's and see what happens.

    Basically though I would suggest going with whatever Daemon Tools offers
    as default and see how you go.
    Just remember to copy all files created for that CD via USB to your Netbook.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 10, 2010
  6. Teflon

    PeeCee Guest

    On 10/12/2010 11:30 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
> [...]

    > It's a while since I have used Daemon Tools so I checked my Daemon Tolls
    > 'Image' folder and found each CD Image consists of 'two' files.
    > The larger file had an .mdf extension, the second (quite small) had a
    > .mds extension.
    >
    > Since it's a while since I had created an Image I popped in a CD that
    > happended to be lying around and the default extension that Daemon Tools
    > offered was .mdx.
    > As soon as I tried to create the Image however, Daemon Tools locked up
    > while trying to read the CD.
    > Bugger! I think it may be a Windows 7/64bit thing so I'll experiment
    > with my 32bit OS's and see what happens.
    >
    > Basically though I would suggest going with whatever Daemon Tools offers
    > as default and see how you go.
    > Just remember to copy all files created for that CD via USB to your

    Tried another CD and it worked fine (suspect the CD I used was copy
    protected, look at that later on)

    There was only one file created and it had an .mdx extension and I'm
    pleased to report it worked just fine.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 10, 2010