    The hardware is an AMD X2 3800+, Biostar T6100-939 (nVidia chipset and
    nVidia graphics on-board), Western Digital SATA 250GB disk, ATAPI DVD and
    floppy.

    Norman Diamond, Nov 7, 2005

  2. Hello Norman,
    Are there not ISO files that ship with MSDN that can used to create CDS?
    You need to boot to the CD or DVD to be able to run setup.exe.
    Setup.exe is a 64-bit exe which is why it cannot be run from inisde of
    32-bit Windows.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Norman Diamond" <>
    <Subject: How to install 64-bit XP or 2003?
    <Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:04:00 +0900
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <I booted MSDN DVD 2428.7. It told me to select an installable OS from the
    <list, but the list did not include any 64-bit OS. I selected Windows XP
    Pro
    <SP2, which installed using a product key for 32-bit XP Pro and performed as
    <32-bit XP Pro SP2.
    <
    <In Windows Explorer, I navigated to the folder on the DVD that has files
    for
    <Windows XP 64-bit, and double-clicked SETUP.EXE. Setup retorted:
    <
    < This version of Windows must be installed by booting off the CD.
    < Please reboot your computer with the CD in the drive.
    <
    <I rebooted. The DVD again presented a list of installable OSes, not
    <including any 64-bit OS, and told me to select one.
    <
    <What is the Microsoft-approved way to install a 64-bit OS? Is there any
    way
    <to use the MSDN DVD?
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 7, 2005

  3. Norman Diamond

    zekolas Guest

    Norman Diamond wrote:
    > I booted MSDN DVD 2428.7. It told me to select an installable OS from the
    > list, but the list did not include any 64-bit OS. I selected Windows XP
    > Pro
    > SP2, which installed using a product key for 32-bit XP Pro and performed as
    > 32-bit XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > In Windows Explorer, I navigated to the folder on the DVD that has files
    > for
    > Windows XP 64-bit, and double-clicked SETUP.EXE. Setup retorted:
    >
    > This version of Windows must be installed by booting off the CD.
    > Please reboot your computer with the CD in the drive.
    >
    > I rebooted. The DVD again presented a list of installable OSes, not
    > including any 64-bit OS, and told me to select one.
    >
    > What is the Microsoft-approved way to install a 64-bit OS? Is there any
    > way
    > to use the MSDN DVD?

    I have never tried to install from an MSDN disk, however if you do have
    an MSDN account(since you have the disk I am assuming you do) you can
    log on to the MSDN website and download individual windows ISOs then
    just burn it to a cd.

    zekolas, Nov 7, 2005
  4. Mr. Gorter,

    Thank you for reading part of my original message and for posting.

    > Are there not ISO files that ship with MSDN that can used to create CDS?

    I'll look. I do have one other machine with an internal DVD+RW drive and I
    think I put Alex Feinman's ISO writer for XP on it (if not then I will).
    For that I probably won't have time until next weekend.

    > You need to boot to the CD or DVD to be able to run setup.exe.

    No kidding. My original message stated that I tried to do exactly that,
    twice. Have you tried booting MSDN DVD 2428.7? Did you notice how many
    64-bit OSes are included in the list that it lets you select from?

    Yours sincerely,
    Norman Diamond

    Norman Diamond, Nov 7, 2005
  5. Norman Diamond

    Mercury Guest

    For some odd reason MS has left XP64 menu option out of the boot program on
    the DVD...
    The ISO image is on the disc and needs burning as an image as you are
    obviously aware.

    Darrell: Could you please ask the bods that wrote the boot loader for the
    DVD to include XP64 bit?

    Thanks...

    Mercury, Nov 7, 2005
  6. Hello Norman,
    I do not have MSDN DVD to boot from to be to see what you are seeing.
    I suspect they modify the display program to display their menu, and I
    suspect that it's 32-bit do it can't call a 64-bit program to run.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Norman Diamond" <>
    <Subject: Re: How to install 64-bit XP or 2003?
    <Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:00:27 +0900
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
[...]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Norman Diamond" <>
    <> <Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:04:00 +0900
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 7, 2005
  7. It seems next to useless to have 64-bit OSes on that DVD then. If the user
    has to burn an ISO image from a different DVD (if the different DVD includes
    it, which I haven't checked yet) then the same burned CD can be used for
    whatever purpose the files on DVD 2428.7 might theoretically be usable for.

    If the problem is that DVD 2428.7's display program can't call a 64-bit
    program, then surely this should be divided into two DVDs. Let 2428.8
    install 32-bit OSes. Let a new DVD install 64-bit OSes. The new DVD would
    then be useful for its intended purpose.

    Norman Diamond, Nov 7, 2005
  8. I'll bring you one to see. It's the stupidest bug imaginable, and I keep
    thinking every month when I get a new one of these that they'll have it
    fixed. Wrong answer.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64