How to increase the zoom range of Nikon 5400

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by interlock, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. interlock

    interlock Guest

    Hi Group,

    I really like my Nikon 5400 especially its x4 optical zoom and its extra
    wide and close capabilities. But, I find that it falls short when I need
    to take a long shot particularly in low light. I tried the Nikon
    TC-E15ED teleconverter, but it vignettes unless the camera is set it to
    its maximum zoom, essentially creating a fixed lens camera. This
    doesn't work for action shots, where rapid changes from wide to tele are
    needed.

    I'm not ready to move to an SLR yet, so I'm looking for a way to
    increase the zoom range of the 5400 to something like x6 or to x10.

    I have two questions:

    1) Is there a better teleconverter available, which would allow me to
    use of most of the 5400’s 4x optical zoom capability without vignetting?

    2) Does anyone know of an external zoom lens (maybe from an SLR, but not
    a scope) that could be adapted to the 5400 to provide an overall 6x or
    greater zoom range.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    em

    interlock, Jun 30, 2005

  2. interlock

    JohnR66 Guest

    "interlock" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I really like my Nikon 5400 especially its x4 optical zoom and its extra
    > wide and close capabilities. But, I find that it falls short when I need
    > to take a long shot particularly in low light. I tried the Nikon
    > TC-E15ED teleconverter, but it vignettes unless the camera is set it to
    > its maximum zoom, essentially creating a fixed lens camera. This
    > doesn't work for action shots, where rapid changes from wide to tele are
    > needed.
    >
    > I'm not ready to move to an SLR yet, so I'm looking for a way to
    > increase the zoom range of the 5400 to something like x6 or to x10.
    >
    > I have two questions:
    >
    > 1) Is there a better teleconverter available, which would allow me to
    > use of most of the 5400’s 4x optical zoom capability without vignetting?
    >
    > 2) Does anyone know of an external zoom lens (maybe from an SLR, but not
    > a scope) that could be adapted to the 5400 to provide an overall 6x or
    > greater zoom range.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > em

    1) No. The converter would have to cover the wide angle of view and thus be
    bulky, expensive if even possible.
    2) No. It would require extra lens elements and you'd still have the problem
    of being stuck at tele position when in use.

    You may want to look into a camera with a 6x or more zoom.
    John

    JohnR66, Jul 1, 2005