    is there another solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks, GP
    , Jul 1, 2007

  2. - Bobb - Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
    > bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from
    > the router to that room but would like to be wireless back there also.
    > Moving the router is not an option so my question is, can we simply
    > install a second router using the cat5 cable from the main router? or
    > is there another solution? Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, GP

    More info over at

    alt.internet.wireless newsgroup
    - Bobb -, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    In alt.internet.wireless - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
    > > bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from

    You could add a simple reflector. If you get some signal at the PCs now,
    this could give you substantial boost.

    http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock,
    with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in
    signal. http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ12-windsurfer.jpg
    http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/windsurfer-dining.JPG The signal with
    the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

    , Jul 2, 2007
  4. ><> wrote in message
    >> We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
    >> bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from
    >> the router to that room but would like to be wireless back there also.
    >> Moving the router is not an option so my question is, can we simply
    >> install a second router using the cat5 cable from the main router? or
    >> is there another solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

    If you have CAT5 and no signal, just buy a wireless access point or
    wireless router and install it in the back bedroom. Just about
    anything will work. If you purchase a wireless router, it's easy to
    disable the router section and DHCP server, thus converting it into a
    wireless access point. See:
    <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Use_a_wireless_router_as_a_wireless_access_point>

    Put this added access point on a different channel (1, 6, or 11) than
    the main wireless router to prevent interference. If you want to try
    seamless roaming, set both for the same SSID. Otherwise, use
    different SSID's so you can select which one to connect.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Jeff Liebermann, Jul 2, 2007
  5. Spajky Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 01:01:00 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

    >In alt.internet.wireless - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
    >> > bedroom where the signal is very low.

    >You could add a simple reflector. ....
    >http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock,
    >with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in
    >signal. http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ12-windsurfer.jpg

    some more solutions on client side : See pics & data to get some clues
    & ideas (text is in my native-slovene, so you won´t understand it)

    DIY from standard 0dBi wifi card antenna (supplied with) on 1m cable
    w/ RP-SMA conn. ... sorry, not in english yet :-/ ...
    http://www.wlan-sat.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3847
    http://www.wlan-sat.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4241

    DIY with wifi UsbKey for"Dummies":
    http://www.wlan-sat.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26476#26476