How to identify network cables simply.....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Blobby J Blobdom, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Right....

    Heres my problem -

    We have approx 30+ network sockets scattered around the office.

    These are all wired up to arrive in our server room as one huge bundle
    of cables and then patched into our hub/switch.

    Unfortunately, the muppet who wired this up for us used one of those
    naff 'Dymo' tape machines to label the cables up, and due to the heat
    of the cab, they've all peeled and dropped off.

    So now Ive no idea which cable is which, weve got a dead socket and I
    need to do a bit of track and trace.

    And heres my question -

    Does anyone have a quick and easy, tried and trusted, CHEAP way of
    identifying each cable run WITHOUT having to buy a very expensive box
    of tricks??

    Cheers :)

    James

    Blobby J Blobdom, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Blobby J Blobdom

    Stevo Guest

    Blobby J Blobdom wrote:
    > Right....
    >
    > Heres my problem -
    >
    > We have approx 30+ network sockets scattered around the office.
    >
    > These are all wired up to arrive in our server room as one huge bundle
    > of cables and then patched into our hub/switch.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the muppet who wired this up for us used one of those
    > naff 'Dymo' tape machines to label the cables up, and due to the heat
    > of the cab, they've all peeled and dropped off.
    >
    > So now Ive no idea which cable is which, weve got a dead socket and I
    > need to do a bit of track and trace.
    >
    > And heres my question -
    >
    > Does anyone have a quick and easy, tried and trusted, CHEAP way of
    > identifying each cable run WITHOUT having to buy a very expensive box
    > of tricks??
    >
    > Cheers :)
    >
    > James

    A cable tracer will be quickest - less than US$100.. guess it depends what
    your time is worth..

    http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_searchmodel7.asp?lf=Tone Generator & Cable Tracer

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Blobby J Blobdom

    Harrison Guest

    Two men with walkie talkies (cheap only if you already have the walkie
    talkies). One watches the switch while the other goes around and pulls
    cables out. Make notes as you go.

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Blobby J Blobdom

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:14:34 +0100, Blobby J Blobdom wrote:

    >Right....
    >
    >Heres my problem -
    >
    >We have approx 30+ network sockets scattered around the office.
    >
    >These are all wired up to arrive in our server room as one huge bundle
    >of cables and then patched into our hub/switch.

    <snip>

    >And heres my question -
    >
    >Does anyone have a quick and easy, tried and trusted, CHEAP way of
    >identifying each cable run WITHOUT having to buy a very expensive box
    >of tricks??

    1. 2 people each with access to a phone / walkie talkie.
    2. http://www.blackbox.co.uk/ have a tester kit that has LED modules and
    a powered unit. Somply plug in the row of LEDs in the patch panel and
    the other person moved the power unit from socket to socket.

    The site URLs are quite long and have a session ID so I can't paste one
    here.

    However you can use the site search for

    Part -

    TS181A DataLite Power Unit
    TS180AÃ5PAK DataLite Modular adaptor Lights (5-Pack)

    Then there is the tone/buzzer unit. Simply plug the tone generator into
    a unknown socket and move the wand across the cables in the patch panel.

    Again URL above, select search and enter text search for

    tone generator

    You get 3 answers.

    Veri-Net Testers
    DataLite
    Tone Generator & Probe

    Me

    why?, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Blobby J Blobdom

    Plato Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    > Two men with walkie talkies (cheap only if you already have the walkie

    hehe, good investment. Saves tons of time.

    Plato, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Plato wrote:
    > Harrison wrote:
    >
    >>Two men with walkie talkies (cheap only if you already have the walkie

    > hehe, good investment. Saves tons of time.

    FWIW.... Most wholesale clubs will have the Family Radio Service (FRS)
    handy-talkies in a dual pack with rechargable batts and charging base
    for under $50.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Blobby J Blobdom

    stickngo

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    The simple answer to cable identification and management is Stick’nGo® Cable Labels from stickngo.com.au

    These smart, innovative labels identify all your computer peripheral, home office, home entertainment and portable device cables and power cords, and are easy to attach to cables & carry straps in seconds. You can even record your name & contact details (such as your phone number & email address) on the back of each Stick’nGo® Cable Label, assisting in the return of portable devices if you lose them, or leave them behind when travelling. There are 48 Stick’nGo® Cable Labels in every Pack, including blank labels for your USB & A.V cables. The labels are manufactured in Australia from a quality hi-tech material and are waterproof and durable. They are available in 4 stylish colours, so each family member can easily identify their own cables. Further product information and handy tips are available on the website: stickngo.com.au

    stickngo, Jul 4, 2009