    lenses. Am I wrong?
    Thanks....
    Bubba

    Bubba, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Bubba

    Frankhartx Guest

    >From: "Bubba"

    >I recently bought two lenses for my Canon 10D from a prominent camera shop
    >in the New York area. I asked for and was invoiced and billed for USA
    >lenses and NOT the import lenses. When I received the lenses they both have
    >Philippines printed on them. To my way of thinking, these are the import
    >lenses. Am I wrong?
    >Thanks....
    >Bubba

    Yes you are right but there are no domestic lenses to speak of--import is all
    there is so face up to the new millenium and live with it--manufacturing has
    spread all over the world and you have few if any choices-buy what you can get
    or do without..

    Frankhartx, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Bubba

    Dave.US Guest

    I think he's confused between USA warranty offerings and those with a
    store warranty.

    Perhaps?

    Dave

    Dave.US, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    "Dave.US" <> wrote in message
    > I think he's confused between USA warranty offerings and those with a
    > store warranty.
    >
    > Perhaps?
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > (Frankhartx) wrote:
    >
    > >>From: "Bubba"

    > >>I recently bought two lenses for my Canon 10D from a prominent camera

    shop
    > >>in the New York area. I asked for and was invoiced and billed for USA
    > >>lenses and NOT the import lenses. When I received the lenses they both

    have
    > >>Philippines printed on them. To my way of thinking, these are the

    import
    > >>lenses. Am I wrong?
    > >>Thanks....
    > >>Bubba
    > >>

    > >Yes you are right but there are no domestic lenses to speak of--import is

    all
    > >there is so face up to the new millenium and live with it--manufacturing

    has
    > >spread all over the world and you have few if any choices-buy what you

    can get
    > >or do without..

    The warranty may be the difference in price but if so it doesn't state that
    on their website. The website lists the same lens twice at different
    prices, one for USA and one for Imported. I honestly am ignorant as to
    whether Canon produces any lenses in the USA or not. All I know for sure is
    that the USA price is slightly higher than the Imported price, and to my
    recollection there is no reference to warranty in this separation.
    Bubba---

    Bubba, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Bubba

    Ryan Pfleger Guest

    Bubba, the difference IS in the warranty. All the lenses are built in the
    same place, but some are designated for use outside the US (and have a
    warranty that isn't good in the US) and some are designated to be sold
    inside the US and have the applicable warranty. I'm not sure about Canon,
    but most Nikon lenses are made in the Phillipines.

    Ryan

    Ryan Pfleger, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Bubba

    Jimmy Guest

    Cameras or accessories sold in the USA without a USA warranty are normally termed Gray Market items.
    I have a couple of accessories that are Gray Market and know that if they were defective I would
    have to bear the expense of repair or replacement. The lack of warranty normally equates to a price
    discount. You might want to check the Retailer's website and do a search for info on Gray Market.
    This should explain the difference and their policy.

    Jimmy, Sep 19, 2003
  7. Bubba

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ryan Pfleger responds:

    >Bubba, the difference IS in the warranty. All the lenses are built in the
    >same place, but some are designated for use outside the US (and have a
    >warranty that isn't good in the US) and some are designated to be sold
    >inside the US and have the applicable warranty. I'm not sure about Canon,
    >but most Nikon lenses are made in the Phillipines.

    Jesus. It makes me wonder when the last camera lens (glass, please) was
    actually made in the U.S. Pre-1970?

    I'd guess THAT's the reason no one thinks to explain the USA marking means
    warranty, not construction. Ain't nobody doing that no more and haven't done
    for decades, at least not here.

    Charlie Self

    "Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and
    steady dedication of a lifetime. "
    Adlai E. Stevenson

    Charlie Self, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Bubba

    james Guest

    I thought that if you got a Gray Market item (especially made by Canon) that
    the Warranty Service was
    taken care of directly thru the dealer and not the manufacturer. I have
    known a couple of people that bought the "Import" lenses from B&H and had
    issues with the lenses and instead of sending the lenses to Canon for
    repair/replacement, they simply returned them to B&H and they took care of
    the problem.
    james

    james, Sep 19, 2003
  9. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    "Bubba" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave.US" <> wrote in message
    > > I think he's confused between USA warranty offerings and those with a
    > > store warranty.
    > >
    > > Perhaps?
    > >
    > > Dave

    > shop

    both
    > have

    > import
    > > >>
    > > >Yes you are right but there are no domestic lenses to speak of--import

    is
    > all
    > > >there is so face up to the new millenium and live with

    it--manufacturing
    > has
    > > >spread all over the world and you have few if any choices-buy what you

    > can get
    > > >or do without..

    > The warranty may be the difference in price but if so it doesn't state

    that
    > on their website. The website lists the same lens twice at different
    > prices, one for USA and one for Imported. I honestly am ignorant as to
    > whether Canon produces any lenses in the USA or not. All I know for sure

    is
    > that the USA price is slightly higher than the Imported price, and to my
    > recollection there is no reference to warranty in this separation.
    > Bubba---

    Thanks everybody that responded! I think I got the answer on what's what.
    I appreciate nobody breaking out the flame thrower!
    Bubba...

    Bubba, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Bubba

    Dave.US Guest

    No flame thrower, but I did break out a beer while I thought of a
    suitable reply.

    Dave.US, Sep 20, 2003
  11. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    hehehe..... Well, at least something productive came of it. I hope it was
    good and cold and went down well.
    I thought about just how dumb my question was after reading some of the
    replys but it dont matter to me. Hell, when you're called Bubba folks just
    naturally don't expect as much out of you...*L*
    Bubba....

    Bubba, Sep 20, 2003