    Review sites? Some sort of code?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Mar 16, 2006

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Biz Guest

    Try the fast forward or skip keys on your remote...those werent forced
    trailers.....you're at the menu in less than 30 seconds and you wouldnt have
    needed to bother with such a trivial request...

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Just bought two DVDs: "Tootsie" and "Lost In Translation".
    >
    > Put "Tootsie" in the player and bingo! Exactly what I would expect: the

    movie's
    > home menu comes up (after the obligatory stern warnings...).
    >
    > Put "Lost In Translation" in the player and.... geeze-Louise! After about

    five
    > minutes of sitting through trailers and plain old advertisements I just

    gave up
    > and fed the disc to DVD Shrink in order to capture the main movie for
    > trouble-free viewing later.
    >
    > I read the fine print in both DVD containers. Couldn't identify anything

    that
    > would warn me (didn't expect to find anything either...).
    >
    > Is there any way to spot something like "Lost In Translation" before

    buying?

    Biz, Mar 16, 2006

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Bratboy Guest

    Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow so
    that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the biggest
    reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or extra's.

    Bratboy, Mar 16, 2006
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Bratboy Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow
    > so that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the
    > biggest reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or
    > extra's.

    As for telling if a disc has forced junk or not it seems, to the best of my
    recollection, Disney is VERY bad about it and also Universal likes to put
    junk at the start as well. WBro you have a 50/50 chance depending on the
    title.

    Bratboy, Mar 16, 2006
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:10:58 -0700, Bratboy <> wrote:

    >Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow so
    >that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the biggest
    >reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or extra's.

    That one thing I love about my linux based multimedia system: the dvd
    application never disables the ff/rewind buttons. Skip the idiotic
    FBI warnings/ skip the production company advertisements / skip the
    menu animations and go straight to the movie.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 16, 2006
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:45:31 -0500 from (PeteCresswell) <>:
    > Put "Lost In Translation" in the player and.... geeze-Louise! After
    > about five minutes of sitting through trailers and plain old
    > advertisements I just gave up and fed the disc to DVD Shrink in
    > order to capture the main movie for trouble-free viewing later.

    Even more annoying than that is "prologue material" (sc. ads) that
    plays when you select "Play Movie". I remember the last straw for me
    was /Far from Heaven/ -- selecting "Play Movie" I got previews for
    other movies. And since I didn't know how FfH started, and the
    previews didn't begin with the MPAA rating, it was some time till I
    realized.

    Since then I've noticed a few other discs do that, and it's extremely
    annoying. I guess the fault is mine for assuming that when I play my
    DVD on my player I should actually be able to see what I paid for
    without jumping through hoops.

    And no, DVDShrink isn't the answer. The answer is to hold
    manufacturers accountable by returning these damaged discs (though I
    admit I haven't done that myself yet).

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 16, 2006
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:19:59 GMT from AZ Nomad <>:
    > That one thing I love about my linux based multimedia system: the
    > dvd application never disables the ff/rewind buttons. Skip the
    > idiotic FBI warnings/ skip the production company advertisements /
    > skip the menu animations and go straight to the movie.

    Remote Selector <http://www.remoteselector.com/download.htm> for
    Windows does that too.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 16, 2006
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    RobMac Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message

    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    >> Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow
    >> so that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the
    >> biggest reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or
    >> extra's.
    >>

    > As for telling if a disc has forced junk or not it seems, to the best of
    > my recollection, Disney is VERY bad about it and also Universal likes to
    > put junk at the start as well. WBro you have a 50/50 chance depending on
    > the title.

    Early Disney DVDs had no skip/FF feature, but the recent ones (the last 3
    years or so) all have the option to skip right to the Menu by pressing Menu
    when the hundreds of trailers start to play, they even tell you in a little
    message BEFORE the previews start, or you can just skip past them one at a
    time (but since there are usually 20-30 previews, I never wait)

    RobMac, Mar 16, 2006
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    kaydigi Guest

    > Just bought two DVDs: "Tootsie" and "Lost In Translation".
    >
    > Put "Tootsie" in the player and bingo! Exactly what I would expect: the
    > movie's
    > home menu comes up (after the obligatory stern warnings...).
    >
    > Put "Lost In Translation" in the player and.... geeze-Louise! After about
    > five
    > minutes of sitting through trailers and plain old advertisements I just
    > gave up
    > and fed the disc to DVD Shrink in order to capture the main movie for
    > trouble-free viewing later.
    >
    > I read the fine print in both DVD containers. Couldn't identify anything
    > that
    > would warn me (didn't expect to find anything either...).
    >
    > Is there any way to spot something like "Lost In Translation" before
    > buying?
    > Review sites? Some sort of code?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Also press stop after the FBI warning/before the trailers and then press
    menu.

    kaydigi, Mar 16, 2006
  10. Per Biz:
    >Try the fast forward or skip keys on your remote...those werent forced
    >trailers.....you're at the menu in less than 30 seconds and you wouldnt have
    >needed to bother with such a trivial request...

    The DVD player I'm using now issues that little "No-No" dialog (the one that's a
    circle with a diagonal line thorough it..).

    The one somebody got me from mainland China had a neat "Direct Play" feature -
    skipped all the BS, stern warnings included, and went right to the movie.

    Excellent feature IMHO - albeit, I'm sure, a veritable crime against nature in
    the industry's eyes....
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Mar 17, 2006
  11. (PeteCresswell)

    Alpha Guest

    The MPAA is floating a bill in congress that would make it illegal to skip
    the prologue material. Everybody should understand
    what the MPAA is about....total viewing control.
    www.eff.org

    Alpha, Mar 17, 2006