how to identify a defective sony 828 lens for RMA

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Llort, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. John Llort

    John Llort Guest

    I translated some stuff from a Japanese QC memo, sorry if the english is not
    100%

    Some of the 828 lenses will experience a higher than normal incidence of
    Chromatic Abberation AKA CA or purple fringing.

    To identify lenses that have the defect look at your lens from an angle, if
    you see a slight blueish reflection then your lens has a defective coating
    formulation applied and did not get noticed by Zeiss/Sony QC. The blueish
    color is caused by too much cobalt added to the formulation creating a shift
    in the lens reflective index and causing the spectrograph curves to be out
    of tune with the sensors internal collaminator, causing a purple shift in
    highlighted subjects during high contrast wide aperture photography. A work
    around is either RMA the product or shoot at F8. The only items that require
    replacement are the center focuser optics with P/N: SN23944-F91 which has
    the proper levels of cobalt applied. After replacing the CFO adjustments
    need to be made to the WB Sensor corralator cpu to insure the new curve
    shifts are taken into consideration during automatic white balance.

    John Llort, Jan 6, 2004

  2. John Llort

    Dave W. Guest

    Oh sure. Don't anyone believe this rubbish.
    John Llort... llort = troll.

    Dave W., Jan 6, 2004