How to ID SMD tants etc.?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, May 14, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    For a while now I've been checking everything electronic before I throw it
    out, mainly for SMD tantalum capacitors (or solid ali can electros) and have
    now collected quite a few. What I need to know now though is how to work out
    their ratings?

    My elementary Googling skills hasn't found 'the magic page' that will show
    most brands made and explain how to de-cipher the markings. I've been sold
    on SMD tants ever since I replaced a couple of ali cans with some and the
    device has continued to work flawlessly... Also the fact that they're used
    in circuits where they're expected to outlast the life of the device is very
    attractive to someone who's lost a lot of money to ali can 'capacitor rot'.

    Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, May 14, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 15/05/2011 10:49 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> For a while now I've been checking everything electronic before I
    >> throw it out, mainly for SMD tantalum capacitors (or solid ali can
    >> electros) and have now collected quite a few. What I need to know
    >> now though is how to work out their ratings?
    >>
    >> My elementary Googling skills hasn't found 'the magic page' that
    >> will show most brands made and explain how to de-cipher the
    >> markings. I've been sold on SMD tants ever since I replaced a couple
    >> of ali cans with some and the device has continued to work
    >> flawlessly... Also the fact that they're used in circuits where
    >> they're expected to outlast the life of the device is very
    >> attractive to someone who's lost a lot of money to ali can
    >> 'capacitor rot'. Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

    > EIA markings are most common but by no means universal. Simple table
    > here: http://www.gfaelectronics.com/electronics/smtcapacitormarks.htm

    Thanks mate, bookmarked for future reference. :)

    ~misfit~, May 15, 2011

  3. On 15/05/2011 10:49 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > For a while now I've been checking everything electronic before I throw it
    > out, mainly for SMD tantalum capacitors (or solid ali can electros) and have
    > now collected quite a few. What I need to know now though is how to work out
    > their ratings?
    >
    > My elementary Googling skills hasn't found 'the magic page' that will show
    > most brands made and explain how to de-cipher the markings. I've been sold
    > on SMD tants ever since I replaced a couple of ali cans with some and the
    > device has continued to work flawlessly... Also the fact that they're used
    > in circuits where they're expected to outlast the life of the device is very
    > attractive to someone who's lost a lot of money to ali can 'capacitor rot'.
    >
    > Any help would be very gratefully recieved.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Any to be found in old screens?

    Roger Dewhurst, May 16, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > On 15/05/2011 10:49 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> For a while now I've been checking everything electronic before I
    >> throw it out, mainly for SMD tantalum capacitors (or solid ali can
    >> electros) and have now collected quite a few. What I need to know
    >> now though is how to work out their ratings?
    >>
    >> My elementary Googling skills hasn't found 'the magic page' that
    >> will show most brands made and explain how to de-cipher the
    >> markings. I've been sold on SMD tants ever since I replaced a couple
    >> of ali cans with some and the device has continued to work
    >> flawlessly... Also the fact that they're used in circuits where
    >> they're expected to outlast the life of the device is very
    >> attractive to someone who's lost a lot of money to ali can
    >> 'capacitor rot'. Any help would be very gratefully recieved.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Any to be found in old screens?

    I've not pulled many old screens apart truth be told. However I doubt it,
    usually there I see ali cans. SMD tantalum capacitors are very expensive and
    are usually used in situations where space is a problem and/or reliability
    is very important.

    When I'm scavenging old electronics components before dumping them I mainly
    find tants in (good quality) laptops and places like HDD circuitboards.
    Sometimes they can be found on expansion cards but only on expensive ones
    like server-quality stuff IME. I did pull an old circa 1998 Compaq desktop
    computer to bits and the motherboard only had two ali caps, the rest were
    all SMD tants. It was still working flawlessly before I 'decommissioned' it.

    I read that they're the electrolytic capacitor of choice for the aerospace
    industry (such as in satelites) and also often used in medical equipment.

    ~misfit~, May 16, 2011