    What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
    it cost? Any idea?

    TIA

    nospam, Dec 17, 2011

  2. nospam

    pystol Guest

    On Dec 17, 2:51 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
    > it cost?  Any idea?
    >
    > TIA

    Paypal has options.

    pystol, Dec 17, 2011

  3. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 12/17/2011 2:51 PM, nospam wrote:
    > What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
    > it cost? Any idea?
    >
    > TIA

    On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
    etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
    with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
    and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
    merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
    for all your systems with customer data.

    Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
    modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
    talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
    if you are doing small turnover ( < $5000 was the cutoff when we
    calculated it out)

    Richard, Dec 17, 2011
  4. nospam

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 17, 3:07 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > On 12/17/2011 2:51 PM, nospam wrote:
    >
    > > What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
    > > it cost?  Any idea?

    > > TIA

    > On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
    > etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
    > with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
    > and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
    > merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
    > for all your systems with customer data.
    >
    > Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
    > modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
    > talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
    > if you are doing small turnover ( < $5000 was the cutoff when we
    > calculated it out)

    When I last looked, the PayPal option was ludicrously easy to setup
    and add to your web page. However it seemed that the buyer needed to
    setup a paypal account to complete a purchase. Is that still the case?

    JohnO, Dec 17, 2011
  5. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 12/17/2011 4:01 PM, JohnO wrote:
    > On Dec 17, 3:07 pm, Richard<> wrote:
    >> On 12/17/2011 2:51 PM, nospam wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
    >>> it cost? Any idea?

    >>> TIA

    >> On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
    >> etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
    >> with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
    >> and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
    >> merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
    >> for all your systems with customer data.
    >>
    >> Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
    >> modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
    >> talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
    >> if you are doing small turnover (< $5000 was the cutoff when we
    >> calculated it out)

    > When I last looked, the PayPal option was ludicrously easy to setup
    > and add to your web page. However it seemed that the buyer needed to
    > setup a paypal account to complete a purchase. Is that still the case?

    No, you can do one off purchases, and now even if the card has been used
    on paypal before you can which wasnt the case before.

    Very handy if I am using an untrusted computer since I dont care about
    the card number but do about my paypal details, I can just use the card
    for one off payments and not log in.

    Apparantly the page is different if you have paypal cookies or not on
    the computer, to try to direct you to login if you have used paypal on
    that machine before.

    Richard, Dec 17, 2011
  6. nospam

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 17, 7:10 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > On 12/17/2011 4:01 PM, JohnO wrote:

    > >> On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
    > >> etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
    > >> with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
    > >> and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
    > >> merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
    > >> for all your systems with customer data.

    > >> Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
    > >> modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
    > >> talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
    > >> if you are doing small turnover (<  $5000 was the cutoff when we
    > >> calculated it out)

    > > When I last looked, the PayPal option was ludicrously easy to setup
    > > and add to your web page. However it seemed that the buyer needed to
    > > setup a paypal account to complete a purchase. Is that still the case?

    > No, you can do one off purchases, and now even if the card has been used
    > on paypal before you can which wasnt the case before.
    >
    > Very handy if I am using an untrusted computer since I dont care about
    > the card number but do about my paypal details, I can just use the card
    > for one off payments and not log in.
    >
    > Apparantly the page is different if you have paypal cookies or not on
    > the computer, to try to direct you to login if you have used paypal on
    > that machine before.

    Ah, that could be it.

    JohnO, Dec 17, 2011
  7. In article <>, pystol <> wrote:
    >On Dec 17, 2:51=A0pm, nospam <> wrote:
    >> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
    >> it cost? =A0Any idea?
    >>
    >> TIA

    >Paypal has options.

    ... but is pretty awful. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 19, 2011
  8. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:01:02 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, pystol <> wrote:
    >>On Dec 17, 2:51=A0pm, nospam <> wrote:
    >>> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
    >>> it cost? =A0Any idea?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >>Paypal has options.

    >.. but is pretty awful. :)

    Why do you say that?

    nospam, Dec 19, 2011
  9. In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:01:02 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >>In article

    > <>, pystol
    > <> wrote:

    >>>Paypal has options.

    >>.. but is pretty awful. :)

    >Why do you say that?

    1) It wants more info than I am prepared to give it.
    2) Despite it advertising itself as "safe" for both parties, it isn't. There
    can be reversals months after a payment (recent case).

    None for me thanks. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 20, 2011
  10. nospam

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 06:39:04 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >>
    >>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:45:37 +1300, "WorkHard" <>
    >>shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>PayPal is great. Convenient, easy, secure and keeps good records.
    >>>
    >>>Very few people do reversals. It's a straw man. Besides, PayPal
    >>>always notifies you when someone opens a dispute.
    >>>
    >>>I think your anti bias is malinformed.

    >>Couldn't agree more.
    >>
    >>I've seen both sides of the PayPal coin.
    >>
    >>Heads: I set up a PayPal account on a website I designed for a friend
    >>who is basically computer illiterate. It has worked fine for him and
    >>is still working well after five years.
    >>
    >>Tails: I've used PayPal on numerous occasions to purchase items online
    >>and PayPal was very helpful when I wanted a full refund for a couple
    >>of items the seller misrepresented in her online description. It took
    >>some jumping through hoops, but they're there to protect both the
    >>buyer and seller.
    >>
    >>As far the info they require is concerned, it's a lot less intrusive
    >>than opening a bank account or applying for credit.

    >Mileages vary. :) I sure won't paypal ... others might.
    >
    >Note also the difference between the information *required* to open a bank
    >account (or other financial account), and what the banks etc ask for. They
    >ask for a lot more than they need, that's for sure. Some even ask for a
    >drivers licence. :) :)

    Or a passport! And something like a Telecom or power company statement
    to prove you live at the address on your application. Gets silly ...:(

    Donchano, Dec 20, 2011

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 20, 2011
  12. nospam

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 20, 6:43 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 06:39:04 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    > >In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:

    > >>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:45:37 +1300, "WorkHard" <>
    > >>shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > >>Couldn't agree more.

    > >>I've seen both sides of the PayPal coin.

    > >>Heads: I set up a PayPal account on a website I designed for a friend
    > >>who is basically computer illiterate. It has worked fine for him and
    > >>is still working well after five years.

    > >>Tails: I've used PayPal on numerous occasions to purchase items online
    > >>and PayPal was very helpful when I wanted a full refund for a couple
    > >>of items the seller misrepresented in her online description. It took
    > >>some jumping through hoops, but they're there to protect both the
    > >>buyer and seller.

    > >>As far the info they require is concerned, it's a lot less intrusive
    > >>than opening a bank account or applying for credit.

    > >Mileages vary.  :) I sure won't paypal ... others might.

    > >Note also the difference between the information *required* to open a bank
    > >account (or other financial account), and what the banks etc ask for. They
    > >ask for a lot more than they need, that's for sure. Some even ask for a
    > >drivers licence. :) :)

    > Or a passport! And something like a Telecom or power company statement
    > to prove you live at the address on your application. Gets silly ...:(

    Not just for their own purpose either. They are required by law to
    obtain proof of identity, and for good reason.

    JohnO, Dec 20, 2011
  13. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >>>Tails: I've used PayPal on numerous occasions to purchase items online
    >>>and PayPal was very helpful when I wanted a full refund for a couple
    >>>of items the seller misrepresented in her online description. It took
    >>>some jumping through hoops, but they're there to protect both the
    >>>buyer and seller.
    >>>
    >>>As far the info they require is concerned, it's a lot less intrusive
    >>>than opening a bank account or applying for credit.

    >>Mileages vary. :) I sure won't paypal ... others might.
    >>
    >>Note also the difference between the information *required* to open a bank
    >>account (or other financial account), and what the banks etc ask for. They
    >>ask for a lot more than they need, that's for sure. Some even ask for a
    >>drivers licence. :) :)

    >Or a passport! And something like a Telecom or power company statement
    >to prove you live at the address on your application. Gets silly ...:(

    It gets much sillier if you ask them *why* they want the info ... they don't
    know ... it's just 'on the list'. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 21, 2011
  14. nospam

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 21, 1:16 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    > (snip)

    > >>Mileages vary.  :) I sure won't paypal ... others might.

    > >>Note also the difference between the information *required* to open a bank
    > >>account (or other financial account), and what the banks etc ask for. They
    > >>ask for a lot more than they need, that's for sure. Some even ask for a
    > >>drivers licence. :) :)

    > >Or a passport! And something like a Telecom or power company statement
    > >to prove you live at the address on your application. Gets silly ...:(

    > It gets much sillier if you ask them *why* they want the info ... they don't
    > know ... it's just 'on the list'. :) :)

    It's to help prevent tax fraud and money laundering. If anyone could
    open bank accounts in any name without ID both activities would become
    extremely easy. The bank people you asked should know this.

    JohnO, Dec 21, 2011