    hard wired to the cable modem? Do I need to buy laptops with built in
    wireless? What kind of specs should i be looking for? Any good
    websites with this info? Thanks all.

    jtees4, Oct 31, 2006

  2. jtees4

    Pen Guest

    jtees4 wrote:
    > I have a desktop PC hooked up to a cable modem. I will be purchasing
    > two laptops shortly. Minimally, What will I need to be able to access
    > the internet in my home with the new laptops? Can the desktop still be
    > hard wired to the cable modem? Do I need to buy laptops with built in
    > wireless? What kind of specs should i be looking for? Any good
    > websites with this info? Thanks all.

    The easiest way is to use a router with wireless built in, such as the
    Linksys WRT54G. The router has a 4 port switch in addition to the
    wireless 802.11G. Then make sure the laptops have 802.11G built in.
    The desktop then hooks up via it's Ethernet port to the router.

    A few web sites;
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...300349&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/index.html

    Pen, Oct 31, 2006

  3. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:43:01 -0500, Pen
    <> wrote:

    >jtees4 wrote:
    >> I have a desktop PC hooked up to a cable modem. I will be purchasing
    >> two laptops shortly. Minimally, What will I need to be able to access
    >> the internet in my home with the new laptops? Can the desktop still be
    >> hard wired to the cable modem? Do I need to buy laptops with built in
    >> wireless? What kind of specs should i be looking for? Any good
    >> websites with this info? Thanks all.

    >The easiest way is to use a router with wireless built in, such as the
    >Linksys WRT54G. The router has a 4 port switch in addition to the
    >wireless 802.11G. Then make sure the laptops have 802.11G built in.
    >The desktop then hooks up via it's Ethernet port to the router.
    >
    >A few web sites;
    >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/
    >http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...300349&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    >http://www.tomsnetworking.com/index.html

    Thank you. I kind of knew the basics, but wanted to be sure before I
    bought anything. Thanks again.

    jtees4, Oct 31, 2006
  4. jtees4

    - Bobb - Guest

    after you buy it and before you hook it up, call your cable company to
    give them the MAC address of the wireless router ( it's on a sticker on
    the router). They will need to add that into their database as a "legit"
    device to be allowed onto their network. Once they say ok, you can then
    plug the cable from your cable modem into it and your pc's into the
    router.

    Be sure to use security on the new router too - there will be a chapter
    in the manual.

    - Bobb -, Nov 2, 2006
  5. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:16:08 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
    wrote:

    >after you buy it and before you hook it up, call your cable company to
    >give them the MAC address of the wireless router ( it's on a sticker on
    >the router). They will need to add that into their database as a "legit"
    >device to be allowed onto their network. Once they say ok, you can then
    >plug the cable from your cable modem into it and your pc's into the
    >router.
    >
    >Be sure to use security on the new router too - there will be a chapter
    >in the manual.
    >

    >"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:43:01 -0500, Pen
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>The easiest way is to use a router with wireless built in, such as the
    >>>Linksys WRT54G. The router has a 4 port switch in addition to the
    >>>wireless 802.11G. Then make sure the laptops have 802.11G built in.
    >>>The desktop then hooks up via it's Ethernet port to the router.
    >>>
    >>>A few web sites;
    >>>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/
    >>>http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...300349&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    >>>http://www.tomsnetworking.com/index.html

    >> Thank you. I kind of knew the basics, but wanted to be sure before I
    >> bought anything. Thanks again.

    So it won't work unless I call them? Thanks, that is certainly good
    to know!

    jtees4, Nov 2, 2006
  6. jtees4

    Alex Clayton Guest

    > after you buy it and before you hook it up, call your cable company to
    > give them the MAC address of the wireless router ( it's on a sticker on
    > the router). They will need to add that into their database as a "legit"
    > device to be allowed onto their network. Once they say ok, you can then
    > plug the cable from your cable modem into it and your pc's into the
    > router.
    >
    > Be sure to use security on the new router too - there will be a chapter in
    > the manual.

    What???
    When I bought mine I plugged it in, turned it on and set up the password
    to lock it down. The Cable Co has never said a word.
    --
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
    Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

    Alex Clayton, Nov 2, 2006
  7. jtees4

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:16:08 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>after you buy it and before you hook it up, call your cable company to
    >>give them the MAC address of the wireless router ( it's on a sticker on
    >>the router). They will need to add that into their database as a "legit"
    >>device to be allowed onto their network. Once they say ok, you can then
    >>plug the cable from your cable modem into it and your pc's into the
    >>router.
    >>
    >>Be sure to use security on the new router too - there will be a chapter
    >>in the manual.
    >>

    >>"jtees4" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you. I kind of knew the basics, but wanted to be sure before I
    >>> bought anything. Thanks again.

    > So it won't work unless I call them? Thanks, that is certainly good
    > to know!

    The routers have a MAC cloning feature that allows you to take the MAC of a
    computer's NIC and enter it into the router. The router will use the cloned
    MAC, of a computer's NIC that can access the ISP's network, and present
    the MAC as if it were the computer's NIC that was accessing the network,
    which will allow the router to access ISP's network without calling the ISP.

    Of course, the computer would be connected to the router wire or wirelessly
    and the ISP wouldn't know the difference as to the router or the computer's
    NIC that was presenting the MAC.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 2, 2006
  8. jtees4

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >> after you buy it and before you hook it up, call your cable company

    <snipped>

    > What???
    > When I bought mine I plugged it in, turned it on and set up the
    > password to lock it down. The Cable Co has never said a word.

    For mine I had to call - otherwise they don't recognize the address and
    think I'm an intruder.I gave them my cable modem /router MAC address.
    When my router died I had to call in again to update the info. ( It was
    then AT&T for my ISP)

    If he doesn't NEED to call - fine - but his ISP with let him know. Just
    didn't want him trying and having it NOT work.

    - Bobb -, Nov 2, 2006
  9. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:27:40 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
    wrote:

    >"Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>> after you buy it and before you hook it up, call your cable company

    ><snipped>
    >
    >> What???
    >> When I bought mine I plugged it in, turned it on and set up the
    >> password to lock it down. The Cable Co has never said a word.

    >For mine I had to call - otherwise they don't recognize the address and
    >think I'm an intruder.I gave them my cable modem /router MAC address.
    >When my router died I had to call in again to update the info. ( It was
    >then AT&T for my ISP)
    >
    >If he doesn't NEED to call - fine - but his ISP with let him know. Just
    >didn't want him trying and having it NOT work.

    At least I will know what the problem is and how to fix it if it
    becomes necessary. Thanks all for the good info.

    jtees4, Nov 2, 2006
  10. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:56:43 -0500, jtees4 <> wrote:

    >I have a desktop PC hooked up to a cable modem. I will be purchasing
    >two laptops shortly. Minimally, What will I need to be able to access
    >the internet in my home with the new laptops? Can the desktop still be
    >hard wired to the cable modem? Do I need to buy laptops with built in
    >wireless? What kind of specs should i be looking for? Any good
    >websites with this info? Thanks all.

    Thanks all for your replies. I bought the router and had no problems
    getting the laptop to work...no calls needed to the cable company
    either.

    jtees4, Nov 28, 2006
  11. jtees4

    - Bobb - Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:56:43 -0500, jtees4 <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a desktop PC hooked up to a cable modem. I will be purchasing
    >>two laptops shortly. Minimally, What will I need to be able to access
    >>the internet in my home with the new laptops? Can the desktop still be
    >>hard wired to the cable modem? Do I need to buy laptops with built in
    >>wireless? What kind of specs should i be looking for? Any good
    >>websites with this info? Thanks all.

    > Thanks all for your replies. I bought the router and had no problems
    > getting the laptop to work...no calls needed to the cable company
    > either.

    You DID turn on security / password for the router, right ?
    and not just turn it on and connect as-is

    - Bobb -, Nov 28, 2006
  12. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:50:24 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
    wrote:

    >"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:56:43 -0500, jtees4 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a desktop PC hooked up to a cable modem. I will be purchasing
    >>>two laptops shortly. Minimally, What will I need to be able to access
    >>>the internet in my home with the new laptops? Can the desktop still be
    >>>hard wired to the cable modem? Do I need to buy laptops with built in
    >>>wireless? What kind of specs should i be looking for? Any good
    >>>websites with this info? Thanks all.

    >> Thanks all for your replies. I bought the router and had no problems
    >> getting the laptop to work...no calls needed to the cable company
    >> either.

    >You DID turn on security / password for the router, right ?
    >and not just turn it on and connect as-is

    Yes. In fact after turning it on I was able to connect to two other
    networks (neighbors I guess) with NO password! If I knew who they were
    I'd tell them. Thanks again.

    jtees4, Nov 29, 2006
  13. jtees4

    - Bobb - Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:50:24 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:56:43 -0500, jtees4 <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> Thanks all for your replies. I bought the router and had no problems
    >>> getting the laptop to work...no calls needed to the cable company
    >>> either.

    >>You DID turn on security / password for the router, right ?
    >>and not just turn it on and connect as-is

    > Yes. In fact after turning it on I was able to connect to two other
    > networks (neighbors I guess) with NO password! If I knew who they were
    > I'd tell them. Thanks again.

    OR you could just use theirs and cancel yours. That'll teach 'em.

    - Bobb -, Nov 29, 2006
  14. jtees4

    Alex Clayton Guest

    >> Yes. In fact after turning it on I was able to connect to two other
    >> networks (neighbors I guess) with NO password! If I knew who they were
    >> I'd tell them. Thanks again.

    > OR you could just use theirs and cancel yours. That'll teach 'em.

    That too is risky. I have seen some crying from people who were piggybacking
    on a neighbors connection, then found that they had given out account info
    they had been looking at. Even with your connection locked down, others can
    get on it if they know what they are doing. I use mine locked and quit
    worrying about it. I keep and eye on my accounts and watch for any problems.
    The only real "worry" is if someone piggy backs on your connection and does
    something like sends a threat to the Whitehouse it will come back as if you
    did it. To me the befits of wireless far outweigh the slight risk. I do turn
    the router off if we are not home, but other than that if someone manages to
    hack into it, I will deal with it as it happens.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]

    Alex Clayton, Nov 29, 2006