how to go wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ashok, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Ashok

Ashok Guest

I have dsl connection with ZTE zxdsl831C modem+router 4 port. I have 3 comps connected in home network via ethernet. I also have 1 tv decoder connected to my modem+router through ethernet. So, all 4 together occupy all the 4 ports. I have a laptop and want it to make laptop wireless. If I understand correctly, I need a wireless access point and a wireless network adapter for laptop?
    Will d-link DWL-G650M wireless adapter for laptop and d-link DI-624 (4 port) access point do the job?
    Also, if I understand correctly, I will connect DI-624 to one of the port of modem+router, one of the comp through DI-624 via ethernet and laptop with wireless adapter will work though DI-624 access point.
    Well, I have never used wireless, so want to make sure that both these products will work and I am understanding how to make it all work.

Thanks.
    Ashok.
    Ashok, Jun 22, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. "Ashok" wrote:

> I have dsl connection with ZTE zxdsl831C modem+router 4 port. I have 3 comps connected in home network via ethernet. I also have 1 tv decoder connected to my modem+router through ethernet. So, all 4 together occupy all the 4 ports. I have a laptop and want it to make laptop wireless. If I understand correctly, I need a wireless access point and a wireless network adapter for laptop?
    > Will d-link DWL-G650M wireless adapter for laptop and d-link DI-624 (4 port) access point do the job?
    > Also, if I understand correctly, I will connect DI-624 to one of the port of modem+router, one of the comp through DI-624 via ethernet and laptop with wireless adapter will work though DI-624 access point.
    > Well, I have never used wireless, so want to make sure that both these products will work and I am understanding how to make it all work.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Ashok
    =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpc3RvcGhlciBGb3JiZXM=?=, Jun 23, 2006
    1. Advertising

3. I RUN OFF WIRELESS AND IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER WHAT ROUTER OR ADAPTER YOU
    HAVE IT WILL ALL WORK WITH EACH OTHER, BUT WHEN YOU DO GET YOU ROUTER MAKE
    SURE YOU ENABLE THE WIRELESS SECURITY KEY CAUSE IF YOU DON'T PEOPLE CAN USE
    YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION.

"Ashok" wrote:

> I have dsl connection with ZTE zxdsl831C modem+router 4 port. I have 3 comps connected in home network via ethernet. I also have 1 tv decoder connected to my modem+router through ethernet. So, all 4 together occupy all the 4 ports. I have a laptop and want it to make laptop wireless. If I understand correctly, I need a wireless access point and a wireless network adapter for laptop?
    > Will d-link DWL-G650M wireless adapter for laptop and d-link DI-624 (4 port) access point do the job?
    > Also, if I understand correctly, I will connect DI-624 to one of the port of modem+router, one of the comp through DI-624 via ethernet and laptop with wireless adapter will work though DI-624 access point.
    > Well, I have never used wireless, so want to make sure that both these products will work and I am understanding how to make it all work.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Ashok
    =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpc3RvcGhlciBGb3JiZXM=?=, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Hi

Since you have already a Router you have to use the Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point.

May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Wireless help here, http://www.ezlan.net/#Wireless

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ashok" <> wrote in message news:...
    I have dsl connection with ZTE zxdsl831C modem+router 4 port. I have 3 comps connected in home network via ethernet. I also have 1 tv decoder connected to my modem+router through ethernet. So, all 4 together occupy all the 4 ports. I have a laptop and want it to make laptop wireless. If I understand correctly, I need a wireless access point and a wireless network adapter for laptop?
    Will d-link DWL-G650M wireless adapter for laptop and d-link DI-624 (4 port) access point do the job?
    Also, if I understand correctly, I will connect DI-624 to one of the port of modem+router, one of the comp through DI-624 via ethernet and laptop with wireless adapter will work though DI-624 access point.
    Well, I have never used wireless, so want to make sure that both these products will work and I am understanding how to make it all work.

Thanks.
    Ashok.
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 23, 2006
    1. Advertising