How to go about single Cisco IP phone on SOHO network

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by chris@pubshoe.com, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with ;-)

    Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away

    Solution - VOIP

    Here's the big question, current hardware is:

    Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
    Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)

    Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
    calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).

    Do I need any other hardware?

    Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
    fixed IP address?

    Thanks in advance!

    Chris
    , Aug 24, 2005

  2. Hi Chris,

    You may wish to investigate the Vonage SoftPhone:

    http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone

    However, please keep in mind that Vonage "customer support" has gone
    totally down the tubes.

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#EXPERTS
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 25, 2005

  3. Paul Guest

    Why would anyone want to use vonage? (yeah yeah I know there are people who
    just want a working phone)
    You have to pay extra for their softphone anyway.
    Not to mention the total lack of flexibility with them.

    Paul, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Jonathan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with ;-)
    >
    > Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away
    >
    > Solution - VOIP
    >
    > Here's the big question, current hardware is:
    >
    > Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
    > Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)
    >
    > Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
    > calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).
    >
    > Do I need any other hardware?
    >
    > Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
    > fixed IP address?

    Make it easy.

    Get VMWare and a copy of CallManager.

    Install both.

    Put IP communicator on your laptop.

    Point it to a public IP for your CM.

    Put a 7960 on your LAN

    Call home like a crazy person.

    (you will need to punch a couple of holes through your firewall TCP 1720,
    2000, and UDP 16535 to 32768)

    Jonathan
    Jonathan, Aug 25, 2005