How to get your MCDST on a budget.

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jeff, May 18, 2007.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    As of yesterday, I have completed both exams.
    70-271: passed with 966
    70-272: passed with 972

    I have worked in the IT field for many years. I still feel it is a good idea
    to study before any exam. If you are on a budget like me you should go to
    someplace like Half Priced books and pick up the MS Press books at a reduced
    cost. Most of the books there still had the CD in the back with the practice
    exams. The used books without the CD are even cheaper. I also found some
    Exam Cram stuff there.

    The MS Press books are kind of "wordy". The Exercises are great and I like
    the review questions. The Exam Cram is a great complement. Exam Cram is
    straight to the point, less wordy. It's like the CliffsNotes to MS Press.
    Together they make a great pair.

    From Microsoft's site you can download Virtual PC (for free). Use it as your
    sandbox to run multiple versions of XP and not effect your own desktop. Do
    the labs in the MS Press books and feel free to break it and fix it.

    I find I study best with a big pot of strong coffee. I studied at 2-3 hours
    a day and much more on the weekends. I used the Measure Up practice tests
    and found them to be a lot tougher than the actual exams.

    If you take a test before the end of May 2007, you can also get the Exam
    Insurance. I got lucky and also got in on a 1 year of Technet Direct for
    free (with the exam insurance).

    I had a lot more time to study for the 2nd exam since I had to wait for my
    MCP number before I could take it. After 6 weeks, I finally got my number
    over the phone

    Stop studying the night before the exam and get plenty of sleep. Drink
    coffee an hour before the test. This will give you a chance to use the
    bathroom before the test, LOL.

    So to recap:
    - MS Press books
    - Measure Up Practice Exams
    - Exam Cram
    - Virtual PC for lab work
    - Lots of coffee
    - Use exam insurance when you can

    Good luck.

    Jeff, May 18, 2007

  2. "Jeff" <> wrote in message

    > If you are on a budget... <snipped>

    Experience is a great learning tool as well. And a majority of time you
    can get paid for it!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], May 19, 2007

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Yea. I forgot that one in my recap. Experience is the best teacher.

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jeff, May 20, 2007
  4. Jeff

    busted Guest

    Some good points. Thanks for taking the time to post the post lol.
    Oh. Also I have never been here before.
    I seen a point that you made that I was rather interested in.
    You said that the measure up practice exam was much harder than the real exam?
    This makes sence to me because I have taken the test exams from a few
    different resources and found they all varied in difficaulty by a very large
    margin.
    What are your thoughts on this?

    busted, May 31, 2007
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I took the Measure Up practice tests and was making 70% on them. I though
    whew, that is good enough. Did much better on the real thing.

    Jeff, May 31, 2007