    There is no 'lip sync' delay adjustment on my system.

    --
    Bob D.
    Bob D., Oct 23, 2006

  2. Bob D.

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:40:29 -0500, "Bob D." <>
    wrote:

    >Which HDMI DVD/DVDr players would provide the best picture?

    Philips DVP5960. My son just got one at Circuit City. The current
    price is $70.

    He has a 62" DLP TV and the Philips plays DVDs and AVI XviDs with
    exceptional picture quality thru a component connection. He is getting
    an HDMI cable which should add some enhancement.

    We used the flash disk on the USB and it worked perfectly. He is also
    getting an external disk enclosure (3.5" SATA) with external power
    supply so he can mount his extensive collection of AVIs.

    Here are some forums to read.

    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675600&highlight=philips 5960
    http://www.hdtvlounge.net/hd-dvd/philips-dvp596037/

    --

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
    will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Citizen Bob, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Bob D.

    skip Guest

    (Citizen Bob) wrote in

    > On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:40:29 -0500, "Bob D." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Which HDMI DVD/DVDr players would provide the best picture?

    > Philips DVP5960. My son just got one at Circuit City. The current
    > price is $70.
    >
    > He has a 62" DLP TV and the Philips plays DVDs and AVI XviDs with
    > exceptional picture quality thru a component connection. He is getting
    > an HDMI cable which should add some enhancement.
    >
    > We used the flash disk on the USB and it worked perfectly. He is also
    > getting an external disk enclosure (3.5" SATA) with external power
    > supply so he can mount his extensive collection of AVIs.
    >
    > Here are some forums to read.
    >
    > http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
    > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675600&highlight=philip
    > s+5960 http://www.hdtvlounge.net/hd-dvd/philips-dvp596037/

    the best dvd player bar none is the oppo. Please google it and see that is
    number one. It can only be purchased from the company. You must have a hdmi
    connection for it tho. there simply is npo better player.
    Also not discussions on the AVI forum
    skip, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Bob D.

    Stan Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in

    snip

    > BTW, I want to avoid the dreaded 'lip sync' problem I've heard about.
    > I have a plain-Jane stereo amplifier connected to the analog L/R
    > outputs of my TV. There is no 'lip sync' delay adjustment on my
    > system.

    See http://www.lipfix.com/lip_sync_error_.html for a device that will cure
    this. (I saw this problem immediately on my 42" Panasonic plasma on an
    occasional over-the-air broadcast). I bought the Felston DD540 from Lipfix
    and can confirm that it does fix this issue. (Call Nick at the number
    listed on the webpage and see if he has a customer return available; I
    saved $50 this way.)
    Stan, Oct 23, 2006
  5. Bob D.

    Karl S Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:25:29 GMT, skip wrote:

    > (Citizen Bob) wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:40:29 -0500, "Bob D." <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Which HDMI DVD/DVDr players would provide the best picture?

    >> Philips DVP5960. My son just got one at Circuit City. The current
    >> price is $70.
    >>
    >> He has a 62" DLP TV and the Philips plays DVDs and AVI XviDs with
    >> exceptional picture quality thru a component connection. He is getting
    >> an HDMI cable which should add some enhancement.
    >>
    >> We used the flash disk on the USB and it worked perfectly. He is also
    >> getting an external disk enclosure (3.5" SATA) with external power
    >> supply so he can mount his extensive collection of AVIs.
    >>
    >> Here are some forums to read.
    >>
    >> http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
    >> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675600&highlight=philip
    >> s+5960 http://www.hdtvlounge.net/hd-dvd/philips-dvp596037/

    > the best dvd player bar none is the oppo. Please google it and see that is
    > number one. It can only be purchased from the company. You must have a hdmi
    > connection for it tho. there simply is npo better player.
    > Also not discussions on the AVI forum

    Here is the URL for the Oppo:
    http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

    The Phillips is alos good and a bargain.

    Best place for cables:
    http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
    Karl S, Oct 23, 2006
  6. Bob D.

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "skip" <skip[@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > the best dvd player bar none is the oppo. Please google it and see
    > that is
    > number one. It can only be purchased from the company.

    You can also purchase Oppo players from Amazon.
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 23, 2006
  7. Bob D.

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:42:41 -0700, Karl S <>
    wrote:

    >Best place for cables:
    >http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

    We have Directron in Houston, only a few miles from where we live.

    But MonoPrice is a lot cheaper (almost half). When you figure in state
    sales tax and gasoline, shipping from MonoPrice is about the same.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 24, 2006
  8. Bob D.

    Guest

    > the best dvd player bar none is the oppo.

    Just purchased the DV-970HD. Worth EVERY last cent! Haven't found
    anything that it WON'T play.
    , Oct 24, 2006
  9. "Bob D." <> wrote:

    > I just moved up to a 50' LCD HDTV. I have a huge investment in REGULAR
    > DVDs.

    If you threw out the old TV, then you need to get a new TV, that
    isn't widescreen. 1.3/1 tvs are needed for Academy ratio
    programming. Widescreen TVs are inferior for full screen
    material. HDTV is inferior for DVD material. Plasma/LCD is
    inferior to CRT, despite their light weight compared to CRT.

    The ideal is a full screen CRT TV that processes anamorphic
    enhancement quality of 16x9 material. They exist, but I don't
    have one nor know where to go to get one.
    Walter Traprock, Oct 24, 2006
  10. Bob D.

    Mark Jones Guest

    Walter Traprock wrote:
    > "Bob D." <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just moved up to a 50' LCD HDTV. I have a huge investment in
    >> REGULAR DVDs.

    > If you threw out the old TV, then you need to get a new TV, that
    > isn't widescreen. 1.3/1 tvs are needed for Academy ratio
    > programming. Widescreen TVs are inferior for full screen
    > material. HDTV is inferior for DVD material. Plasma/LCD is
    > inferior to CRT, despite their light weight compared to CRT.
    >
    > The ideal is a full screen CRT TV that processes anamorphic
    > enhancement quality of 16x9 material. They exist, but I don't
    > have one nor know where to go to get one.

    You are an idiot. I have one of all of these except plasma
    and what you just wrote couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
    Mark Jones, Oct 25, 2006
  11. Bob D.

    Master Ninja Guest

    Walter Traprock wrote:
    > If you threw out the old TV, then you need to get a new TV, that
    > isn't widescreen. 1.3/1 tvs are needed for Academy ratio
    > programming. Widescreen TVs are inferior for full screen
    > material. HDTV is inferior for DVD material. Plasma/LCD is
    > inferior to CRT, despite their light weight compared to CRT.
    >
    > The ideal is a full screen CRT TV that processes anamorphic
    > enhancement quality of 16x9 material. They exist, but I don't
    > have one nor know where to go to get one.

    Huh? A widescreen TV is best for watching widescreen DVDs because they
    allow you to fill more of the screen with no or smaller black bars at
    the top. If you are watching 4:3 content on a widescreen it will
    create black bars on the left and right, but that is no big deal with a
    50" screen. HD is higher quality than DVD, but DVD is higher quality
    than non-HD. So you get the best picture on an HD TV with a DVD player
    that up-samples the DVD output to HD resolution. I have a Sony player
    that does this, and it looks great. All plasma TVs but the cheapest
    ones look better than traditional CRTs. Just go to the store and look
    at them yourself. Some LCDs can look pixelated compared to regular TVs.
    Master Ninja, Oct 25, 2006
  12. Bob D.

    anthony Guest

    Walter Traprock wrote:

    > The ideal is a full screen CRT TV that processes anamorphic
    > enhancement quality of 16x9 material. They exist, but I don't
    > have one nor know where to go to get one.

    You're right on the money, Walter.
    I have a large CRT (a German Loewe) which is NTSC and PAL compatible.
    Displays 4:3 pictures perfectly of course, and because it's a 100hz
    machine, it has on-call anamorphic widescreen for perfect widescreen
    display -- still better quality than plasma or LCD. Of course, if I had
    the cash right now, I'd supplement it with a high-quality projection
    system.
    anthony, Oct 28, 2006