How to get the back of an Acer all-in-one (ZC-605)?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Sep 16, 2013.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
    nothing useful.

    I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a recently
    purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.

    I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get the back
    off. After spending some time puzzling over this and gently trying a few
    things, it's obvious to me that there's some kind of snap-fit used in
    assembly, and that some degree of force will be required to remove the
    back.

    Problem is in knowing where to apply the force.
    It would be very easy to damage the computer, I would think.

    The Acer site is fairly useless.
    I've looked at several YouTube videos for opening up Acer computers, but
    nothing for this model, and the information needs to be model specific.

    Any suggestions for forums or technical groups which haven't shown up via
    googling where I might find someone who knows the answer?

    I do know that there's much valuable stuff on usenet, which just isn't
    available through searching on the internet any more.

    This is a fairly recent model, which is possibly why there aren't any
    obvious videos about it on YouTube.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Sep 16, 2013

  2. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
    > Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
    > nothing useful.
    >
    > I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a
    > recently purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.
    >
    > I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get
    > the back off. After spending some time puzzling over this and gently
    > trying a few things, it's obvious to me that there's some kind of
    > snap-fit used in assembly, and that some degree of force will be
    > required to remove the back.
    >
    > Problem is in knowing where to apply the force.
    > It would be very easy to damage the computer, I would think.
    >
    > The Acer site is fairly useless.
    > I've looked at several YouTube videos for opening up Acer computers,
    > but nothing for this model, and the information needs to be model
    > specific.
    >
    > Any suggestions for forums or technical groups which haven't shown up
    > via googling where I might find someone who knows the answer?
    >
    > I do know that there's much valuable stuff on usenet, which just isn't
    > available through searching on the internet any more.
    >
    > This is a fairly recent model, which is possibly why there aren't any
    > obvious videos about it on YouTube.

    Hi John,

    Well, you're right - there doesn't seem to be anything out there on this
    model. All I can suggest is contacting Acer NZ from their site;
    http://www.acer.co.nz/ac/en/NZ/content/service I'm sure they'll help if
    you put in a request or ring 0800 223 769 (the number for tech support /
    service and repair on that page). Can't hurt anyway, all it'll cost is a
    little time.

    ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2013

  3. John S

    JohnO Guest

    On Monday, 16 September 2013 20:02:02 UTC+12, John S wrote:
    > Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
    >
    > nothing useful.
    >

    > I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a recently
    >
    > purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.
    >

    > I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get the back
    >
    > off. After spending some time puzzling over this and gently trying a few
    >
    > things, it's obvious to me that there's some kind of snap-fit used in
    >
    > assembly, and that some degree of force will be required to remove the
    >
    > back.
    >

    > Problem is in knowing where to apply the force.
    >
    > It would be very easy to damage the computer, I would think.
    >

    > The Acer site is fairly useless.
    >
    > I've looked at several YouTube videos for opening up Acer computers, but
    >
    > nothing for this model, and the information needs to be model specific.
    >

    > Any suggestions for forums or technical groups which haven't shown up via
    >
    > googling where I might find someone who knows the answer?
    >

    > I do know that there's much valuable stuff on usenet, which just isn't
    >
    > available through searching on the internet any more.
    >

    > This is a fairly recent model, which is possibly why there aren't any
    >
    > obvious videos about it on YouTube.
    >

    > Cheers,
    >

    > John S

    Dunno about this model, but is there a bezel around the keyboard that you can pop off?

    JohnO, Sep 18, 2013
  4. John S

    John S Guest

    On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:38:25 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

    > On Monday, 16 September 2013 20:02:02 UTC+12, John S wrote:
    >> Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
    >>
    >> nothing useful.
    >>

    >> I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a recently
    >>
    >> purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.

    SNIP ...

    > Dunno about this model, but is there a bezel around the keyboard that you can pop off?

    This model has separate (wireless) keyboard and mouse.

    There is a bezel or plastic rim right round the frame of the integrated
    unit. This rim is secured on the underside (the side the unit stands on)
    with some small screws. When the screws are removed, the rim is still
    firmly held, but can be pulled away slightly from the frame at the base. I
    found I could slide a blade under the rim and pop some internal clips along
    the two sides.

    However, when I reached either of the two top corners, it wasn't possible
    to go any further without applying more force than I wanted to risk.

    The rim is captured by the moulded plastic back, so you can't lift the rim
    or move it any distance. I couldn't see any place to get leverage under the
    back moulding.

    But thanks for the comment.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Sep 18, 2013
  5. John S

    John S Guest

    On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:38:51 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
    >> Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
    >> nothing useful.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a
    >> recently purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.
    >>
    >> I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get
    >> the back off.

    SNIP ..

    > Hi John,
    >
    > Well, you're right - there doesn't seem to be anything out there on this
    > model. All I can suggest is contacting Acer NZ from their site;
    > http://www.acer.co.nz/ac/en/NZ/content/service I'm sure they'll help if
    > you put in a request or ring 0800 223 769 (the number for tech support /
    > service and repair on that page). Can't hurt anyway, all it'll cost is a
    > little time.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hi Misfit,

    Yes, probably that's what I will have to do, unless I can find a local
    friendly serviceman who has had one to bits. Presumably people in the trade
    have access to service info that the public don't.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Sep 18, 2013
  6. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
    [snip]
    > There is a bezel or plastic rim right round the frame of the
    > integrated unit. This rim is secured on the underside (the side the
    > unit stands on) with some small screws. When the screws are removed,
    > the rim is still firmly held, but can be pulled away slightly from
    > the frame at the base. I found I could slide a blade under the rim
    > and pop some internal clips along the two sides.
    >
    > However, when I reached either of the two top corners, it wasn't
    > possible to go any further without applying more force than I wanted
    > to risk.
    >
    > The rim is captured by the moulded plastic back, so you can't lift
    > the rim or move it any distance. I couldn't see any place to get
    > leverage under the back moulding.

    I find that, when trying to open anything like that old credit or EFTPOS
    cards and similar are your friends. You use them to stop the clips from
    re-engaging as you work your way around...

    I could be telling you something that you already know - but when I
    discovered the idea it made a big difference. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2013
  7. John S

    waipc

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    These things are turddragons to work on. You need a pair of pullers, put in the cooling vents above the ACER logo on the rear stand and pull sharply up. Then remove the 3 screws holding the stand. Then remove the screws around the case (yes...all of them) and then pop the damned compression fit with a plastic guitar fit. Very tricky to not break any of the brittle plastic.

    waipc, Jul 11, 2014