    certification. So, how should I get started? What books, web sites, prep
    courses, etc should I explore to get a "nearly beginner" properly prepared
    for whatever exams I will need to take.

    rsine, Feb 10, 2006

  2. rsine

    Simon Hart Guest

    You need a real good understanding of .NET and Visual Studio .NET and your
    language of choice in order to pass any of the exams.

    You need not take the biztalk exam. See here for MCAD exam information and
    objectives: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/requirements.asp

    The MCTS and MCPD are the next MCAD and MCSD exams which are currently in
    beta. They are said to be GA by mid year (May/June). When you are an MCAD
    you can take one upgrade exam to upgrade to MCTS and MCPD credentials. If
    not then you will need to set five exams.

    In terms of study material, I found Amit Kalani books by Que publishing
    invaluable.
    But you need to back up any book with hand's on and MSDN searching and
    reading. Search on MSDN for each objective and study it until you fully
    understand it.
    I also have books from Microsoft Press which I didn't find as useful - too
    indepth too early.
    I found C# 2nd Edition *by Que I think* a very good book for advanced C# and
    bits not covered in the study certification books.
    I have just ordered Amit Kalani's 70-320 book from Amazon for my next exam.
    If I was to buy one book then I would buy Amit Kalani's.
    I also found eXtreme .NET by Dr Neil Roodyn a very good read too. This is
    more about agile development methodologies than exam subjects but it's good
    to teach you best practices in particular the correct use of the OO object
    model. It goes into unit testing too using Nunit. There were a couple of
    questions in my exam on unit testing.

    Regards and good luck
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Feb 10, 2006

  3. rsine

    David Hearn Guest

    For someone who is looking to start the MCTS track, what books would you
    suggest getting now? The MS self-study guides aren't available for the
    70-536 and 70-526 I'm looking to take. Amit Kalani hasn't published any
    on these exams (July 2006 it seems).

    I've ordered the MS C# Core Reference book (coming out this month).

    Any idea whether Amit's book on exam 70-316 would be useful for
    70-526/536? I realise these exams are for .Net 2.0/VS2005, but are
    there any significant differences between these technologies which mean
    that what I'd learn in that book wouldn't be an applicable starting
    point for the new exams? As his book is available now, I thought it
    might be a good starting point, moving onto the MS Self Study when they
    come out.

    Thanks

    David

    David Hearn, Feb 15, 2006
  4. rsine

    Simon Hart Guest

    I recommdend looking at MSDN2 and study the objectives for the new MCTS
    exams. If you have the skills to pass the 70-316 etc you might as well do
    MCAD then you take 1 upgrade exam to get MCTS and MCPD.

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Feb 18, 2006