How to get sound off laptop without using earplug output?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running XP Professional SP3. I am having
    trouble using the 'headset-earplug' outputs and would like to be able to
    take the sound off the laptop in some other way. I want to play MP3s.

    Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that can do this?

    I have the following facilities on the laptop:

    Network Connecting Jack

    Express Card Slot

    S-Video TV out connector

    4 - USB 2.0 connectors

    VGA connector

    Network connector

    Modem connector

    HDMI connector

    IEEE 1394 connector

    8 -in-1 Media card reader

    Goodwill,

    Luke
    The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009

  2. The Stone Crusher

    VanguardLH Guest

    VanguardLH, Nov 18, 2009

  3. "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > The Stone Crusher wrote:
    >
    >> ... would like to be able to take the sound off the laptop in some
    >> other way. ... Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that
    >> can do this?

    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb speaker
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb headset

    Thanks for the suggestions. They will certainly work.

    I believe I did it again! Not enough info.

    What I am actually trying to do is to take the sound from the laptop to an
    mixer/amp. It seems to me that the headsets suggested would not be
    needed(?). If I had the software that probably comes with the headsets I
    could make a USB connecting wire with a 1/4 inch audio plug on the other
    end.

    Does this sound reasonable? Or does the USB headset have to be 'recognized'
    by XP in order to install a driver of some sort?

    Thanks, again.
    The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009
  4. The Stone Crusher

    VanguardLH Guest

    The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote ...
    >
    >> The Stone Crusher wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... would like to be able to take the sound off the laptop in some
    >>> other way. ... Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that
    >>> can do this?

    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb speaker
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb headset

    > What I am actually trying to do is to take the sound from the laptop to an
    > mixer/amp. It seems to me that the headsets suggested would not be
    > needed(?). If I had the software that probably comes with the headsets I
    > could make a USB connecting wire with a 1/4 inch audio plug on the other
    > end.
    >
    > Does this sound reasonable? Or does the USB headset have to be 'recognized'
    > by XP in order to install a driver of some sort?

    You can't do the conversion from digital signals for USB to analog
    signals for your amp input by just using a cable. Wires don't convert
    between digital and analog. A DAC (digital-to-analog converter) is
    needed.

    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5735260
    http://tinyurl.com/ygfwj6j

    I'll leave further web searches to you. So what's wrong with the analog
    audio output jack in the laptop?
    VanguardLH, Nov 18, 2009
  5. "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > The Stone Crusher wrote:
    >
    >> ... would like to be able to take the sound off the laptop in some
    >> other way. ... Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that
    >> can do this?

    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb speaker
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb headset

    Ouch! Behringher has a couple of offerings that are exactly what I was
    looking for. You just can't find things if you don't look correctly!!!

    Many thanks
    The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009