    with XP very well.I want to make my computer free of some space to help
    acheieve speed by getting rid of Windows98 files.How can i do this
    without deleting my other files/info in computer?
    Thaqalain, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Thaqalain

    SgtMinor Guest

    Thaqalain wrote:
    > I was having running Windows98 prior to WindowsXP.Now I am used to work
    > with XP very well.I want to make my computer free of some space to help
    > acheieve speed by getting rid of Windows98 files.How can i do this
    > without deleting my other files/info in computer?

    It may not be simple to do this. Was partition info changed on the hard
    drive, or did you change to the FAT32 file system when you installed XP?
    If so, you cannot simply click on Add/Remove programs.

    Removing Win98 is not likely to speed up your computer. If you're
    running out of disk space consider buying a new hard drive and doing a
    clean install of XP on it. You can then migrate your data and reformat
    the current HD.

    Check out the MS Knowledge Base, e.g.:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q186102/
    SgtMinor, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Thaqalain

    Thaqalain Guest

    XP was installed by my brother in D,while 98 is still in C.I will ask
    brother about FAT32.
    Thaqalain, Sep 26, 2005
  4. Thaqalain

    SgtMinor Guest

    Thaqalain wrote:
    > XP was installed by my brother in D,while 98 is still in C.I will ask
    > brother about FAT32.

    To find out the current file system, click on My Computer, then right
    click on the hard drive icon, and select Properties. It should tell you.
    SgtMinor, Sep 26, 2005
  5. Thaqalain

    Thaqalain Guest

    FAT32
    Thaqalain, Sep 27, 2005
  6. Thaqalain

    SgtMinor Guest

    Thaqalain wrote:
    > FAT32

    How much can your brother tell you about the history of the OSs on this
    system?

    Do you have two separate hard drives, one with XP and the other with 98,
    or was it a 98 machine set up to dual boot with XP and the drive is
    partitioned. Was the drive set to FAT32 when it only had Win98?

    Look to see if Windows98 shows up under Add/Remove Software in Control
    Panel. If it's not there you may not be able to uninstall it.

    Ultimately it can all be a major PITA. Consider backing up your
    important data files and doing a fresh install of XP.
    SgtMinor, Sep 27, 2005