How to get rid of Unallocated space?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sigi Rindler, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    I have used Partition Magic 8.0 for the first time to resize my C drive by 5
    GB. I must have made a mistake since the C drive still shows the same size,
    drive F is reduced by 5 GB, but now I have 5 GB of "Unallocated" space
    between drive C and D.

    How can I get rid of it or add this space to drive D?

    BTW, I use Windows XP Pro.

    Thanks in advance,

    S.R.

    Sigi Rindler, Apr 18, 2005

  2. Sigi Rindler

    riddick Guest

    "Sigi Rindler" <-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
    >I have used Partition Magic 8.0 for the first time to resize my C drive by
    >5 GB. I must have made a mistake since the C drive still shows the same
    >size, drive F is reduced by 5 GB, but now I have 5 GB of "Unallocated"
    >space between drive C and D.
    >

    > How can I get rid of it or add this space to drive D?

    You can do it with partition magic. Try again.

    --
    Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity lasts a lifetime.
    riddick, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    >> How can I get rid of it or add this space to drive D?
    > You can do it with partition magic. Try again.

    Thanks for telling. I was hoping to achieve this one with Win XP, but
    couldn't find a solution yet. Will now read PM's manual a bit more
    careful...:)

    Sigi Rindler, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Sigi Rindler

    philo Guest

    Sigi Rindler wrote:
    >>>How can I get rid of it or add this space to drive D?

    >>You can do it with partition magic. Try again.
    >>

    > Thanks for telling. I was hoping to achieve this one with Win XP, but
    > couldn't find a solution yet. Will now read PM's manual a bit more
    > careful...:)

    if you just want to create a partition from the free space...
    you can use disk management from within XP...
    but if you want to use the free space to increase the size of one of
    your existing partitions...then you need to use partition magic again
    philo, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Sigi Rindler

    Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:39:45 +0900, "Sigi Rindler"
    <-net.ne.jp> wrote:

    >I have used Partition Magic 8.0 for the first time to resize my C drive by 5
    >GB. I must have made a mistake since the C drive still shows the same size,
    >drive F is reduced by 5 GB, but now I have 5 GB of "Unallocated" space
    >between drive C and D.
    >

    >How can I get rid of it or add this space to drive D?

    You must have had F: as the "active" drive, simply click another
    drive, when you want to resize it.

    If you want to allocate this empty space to an existing drive, simply
    resize that drive too. (Click on it, then select resize).

    Windows can't resize drives by itself, it can however delete a
    partition, then create a new one (that uses all unallocated continuous
    space, but you will lose all your data on it).
    , Apr 18, 2005
  6. Sigi Rindler

    Dave Lear Guest

    How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000
    Dave Lear, Apr 18, 2005