How to get rid of U3 Launchpad?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Apr 21, 2011.

  1. <dh@.> wrote in message news:eek:...
    > How can a person uninstall U3 Launchpad? They pretend to give the option
    > from
    > the Help and Support icon, but then it just goes to a website:
    > http://www.writethescoop.com/
    >
    > Doing a search of my hard drive won't bring it up at all. Where is it
    > hiding?
    > Can I dig it out and delete it?

    If you click Start>Run, and type REGEDIT (vary dangerous operation, so don't
    do anything except what you are planning), then click Edit>Find and type in
    U3 LANDSCAPE, then click OK.

    The system Registry will be searched for U3, and if it is an installed
    application, it will be listed. You can read the information from any hits
    that you get, and navigate to the location(s) to delete whatever is shown.
    You can also leave the files as shown, and simply delete the Registry Entry
    so the machine doesn't try to load it anymore. I'd suggest (strongly) that
    you navigate to the location that is given and delete the file, but deleting
    the registry entry is sufficient to stop the program from running.

    As entires in the Registry come up, hit F3 to repeat the search and move on
    to the next instance.

    CAVEAT
    If the program is not really an Installed Application, there will be no
    Registry Entry to be found, and this will indicate that it is probably a
    virus or other unwanted .EXE file that is loading itself outside of the
    Registry. For example, the developers of the virus can drop a file, ACME.EXE
    onto your machine that created dialog boxes that say U3 LaunchPad so you
    think U3 is an app that you have installed when it isn't. Then the virus
    will make a Registry Entry somewhere that says to start ACME.EXE when some
    event takes place -- the event can be starting Windows, or starting IE, or
    any number of things. In this instance, you cannot "uninstall" because there
    is nothing to uninstall, and you can't delete ACME.EXE because you don't
    know the actual file name or location. All you can do is reload Windows,
    which will in all likelihood wipe the HDD and kill any files and programs
    that you already have loaded.

    Good luck.

    dh@., Apr 21, 2011

  3. Jeff Strickland

    Kele Guest

    I don't like U3 Launchpad on the Sandisk flash drives either. The U3
    program is embedded on the flash drive. I remember that when installing the
    driver, it asks if you want to include U3; that is a time when you can not
    install it onto the drive. Or, you can format the flash drive (FAT32 if 4GB
    or less / exFat or FAT for over 4GB), then it will just be a drive letter
    when plugged in; no more U3 pop-ups. Safely disconnect via the My Computer
    > Drive. You can get the U3 program from Sandisk if you want to put it on

    the drive again.

    -------------

    Kele, Apr 22, 2011
  4. Jeff Strickland

    SteveH Guest

    dh@. wrote:
    > How can a person uninstall U3 Launchpad? They pretend to give the
    > option from the Help and Support icon, but then it just goes to a
    > website: http://www.writethescoop.com/
    >
    > Doing a search of my hard drive won't bring it up at all. Where is it
    > hiding? Can I dig it out and delete it?

    Have you tried Googling for 'remove u3'?

    --
    SteveH

    SteveH, Apr 26, 2011