    How do I kill this dialog box??

    --
    Flex and REALbasic Developer
    Alan Gruskoff, Mar 28, 2008

  2. Alan Gruskoff wrote:

    >With the new WinXP x64 version, we picked up a hurdle I need to get rid of.
    >
    >When every I copy of move a file within my office network. WinXp 64 decides
    >to "protect me" and opens a dialog box asking:
    >
    >"Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?"
    >
    >This is really annoying and slowing me down with no purpose. Do they really
    >assume that people running the x64 version are novices that need this
    >interuption?
    >
    >How do I kill this dialog box??

    This isn't standard OOB behaviour. It sounds like you've been working with
    IE's security zones, and have most likely added at least some of your LAN
    locations into the Trusted Sites zone.

    Open the Internet Options dialog (either from Control Panel, or under the
    Tools menu in IE), click on the Security tab and review what "sites" (they
    can include UNC paths) are in each zone.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Mar 29, 2008

  3. It worked. Thanks Steve.

    I was trying to keep track of exactly what parameter I changed within my
    Security / Intranet settings, but lost track of that. I made it real open and
    it works, so I am on to the next thing.

    best regards,
    - Alan Gruskoff

    Alan Gruskoff, Mar 29, 2008
  4. Alan Gruskoff

    Dawn Harju Guest

    I beg to differ. This is a standard message right after you upgrade interenet
    explorer to 7. This is a time wasting message and should have never been
    written. Internet Explorer 7 shouldn't have anything to do with my desktop,
    folders, or files. This message is doubling my work load.

    Dawn Harju, Jan 8, 2009
  5. Dawn Harju wrote:

    >I beg to differ. This is a standard message right after you upgrade
    >interenet
    >explorer to 7.

    IE7 is not installed OOB. My point about OOB behaviour stands.

    I avoid installing IE7 on machines that don't have it as far as possible
    (in much the same way that I avoid using IE* as a browser as much as
    possible), so my experience with it is limited to Vista and WS2008 boxes.
    Where it does not produce such a prompt by default.

    >This is a time wasting message and should have never been
    >written. Internet Explorer 7 shouldn't have anything to do with my
    >desktop,
    >folders, or files. This message is doubling my work load.

    I would still suggest reviewing the IE security settings, because I can
    copy/move files around from my computer to and from my network on Vista
    without getting security zone related prompts from IE7.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jan 9, 2009
  6. Steve,
    I got the same problem after installation of XP SP3 over my XP SP2 with IE7
    already installed. It worked fine before, however, I'm getting this terrible
    dialog box each time I'm copying files across the LAN or from LAN to my PC. I
    tried all settings of zone security, nothing helps. I think that I'm doing
    something wrong. Can you provide me step-by-step instruction what I have to
    configure in IE options to get rid of this box?
    Thanks, Pavel.

    Pavel Semyonov, Jan 13, 2009
  7. Pavel Semyonov wrote:

    >Steve,
    >I got the same problem after installation of XP SP3 over my XP SP2 with IE7
    >already installed. It worked fine before, however, I'm getting this
    >terrible
    >dialog box each time I'm copying files across the LAN or from LAN to my
    >PC. I
    >tried all settings of zone security, nothing helps. I think that I'm doing
    >something wrong. Can you provide me step-by-step instruction what I have to
    >configure in IE options to get rid of this box?

    There's a number of solutions outlined in this thread:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/59c3397d-b071-4618-9252-0269e4f316ab/

    depending on which particular form of the problem you're experiencing.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jan 15, 2009