How to get rid of this malware?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pg, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. pg

    pg Guest

    To all,

    I know there's some malware/trojan/virus inside my PC, because it is
    acting very very weird, but I can't do anything about.

    Although I have Norton Antivirus installed, NAV doesn't seem to be
    working.

    Spec: Dual Core CPU with 4GB RAM, XP Pro

    Now the symptom:

    There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.

    So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

    Then I try download the rsit.exe file, Firefox again gives me that
    "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

    That virus or trojan has blocked me from reaching almost ALL the known
    anti-malware / anti-virus sites. It keeps on giving me the "Firefox
    can't establish a connection to the server".

    I tried using Opera, Google Chrome and IE to get to those sites, no
    luck.

    What is going on, and how to get rid of this malware?

    Please help, as I am out of idea how to fight this thing.

    Thank you for reading, and please help !!

    Wishing all a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas !!

    PS: And I just found out that the darn thing has erased ALL MY
    COOKIES !!! Please help !!!
    pg, Dec 22, 2008

  2. pg

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 07:06:18 -0800 (PST), pg wrote:

    >To all,
    >
    >I know there's some malware/trojan/virus inside my PC, because it is
    >acting very very weird, but I can't do anything about.
    >
    >Although I have Norton Antivirus installed, NAV doesn't seem to be
    >working.

    <snip>

    Long story short. You need to download AV / antispyware tools from
    another clean PC, burn to CD. Then check your PC.

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    HijackThis
    Trial / freeware of another AV / AS like F-Prot, AVG, Ad-Aware, Spyware
    Blaster.

    Then see how you get on.

    Me
    why?, Dec 22, 2008

  3. pg

    richard Guest

    wrote:

    >To all,
    >
    >I know there's some malware/trojan/virus inside my PC, because it is
    >acting very very weird, but I can't do anything about.
    >
    >Although I have Norton Antivirus installed, NAV doesn't seem to be
    >working.
    >
    >Spec: Dual Core CPU with 4GB RAM, XP Pro
    >
    >Now the symptom:
    >
    >There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    >upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.
    >
    >So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    >"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >
    >Then I try download the rsit.exe file, Firefox again gives me that
    >"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >
    >That virus or trojan has blocked me from reaching almost ALL the known
    >anti-malware / anti-virus sites. It keeps on giving me the "Firefox
    >can't establish a connection to the server".
    >
    >I tried using Opera, Google Chrome and IE to get to those sites, no
    >luck.
    >
    >What is going on, and how to get rid of this malware?
    >
    >Please help, as I am out of idea how to fight this thing.
    >
    >Thank you for reading, and please help !!
    >
    >Wishing all a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas !!
    >
    >PS: And I just found out that the darn thing has erased ALL MY
    >COOKIES !!! Please help !!!

    One thing you can try.
    Try downloading again. If the same screen shows up immediately open
    task manager. Check the first 3 tabs for any clues.

    You can also try downloading from a site such as downloads.com or
    tucows.com.

    If you're still having problems I can upload it to my site and you
    should get it from there with no problems.
    I know my little site ain't gonna be on their list.
    richard, Dec 22, 2008
  4. Use my Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your system.
    Choose yes for all options when prompted. Download it here
    http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

    The Real Truth MVP, Dec 22, 2008
  5. pg

    Guest

    pg <> wrote:

    >Now the symptom:
    >
    >There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    >upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.
    >
    >So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    >"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

    Just a second thought.

    Unplug your modem for a minute or two and try again.

    Start | Run <type in>
    cmd /k ipconfig
    <enter>

    and see if your even connect to the internet.

    The blinking lights could be the modem trying to renew/aquire a
    license.
    --

    MacGyver Mutli-tool
    http://data.tumblr.com/b9vfl4b63hhpzy6gWRWBrLx9o1_500.jpg
  6. pg

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:42:48 -0800, wrote:

    > pg <> wrote:
    >
    >>Now the symptom:
    >>
    >>There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    >>upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.
    >>
    >>So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    >>"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

    >Just a second thought.
    >
    >Unplug your modem for a minute or two and try again.
    >
    >Start | Run <type in>
    >cmd /k ipconfig
    ><enter>
    >
    > and see if your even connect to the internet.
    >
    >The blinking lights could be the modem trying to renew/aquire a
    >license.

    I'm just curious. How exactly do you do this in vista?
    As I don't see the command line in my start button.
    All I get is a "search" and anything I type there opens up windows
    explorer.
    richard, Dec 22, 2008
  7. pg

    Dylan Boman Guest

    richard <> wrote in message

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:42:48 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> pg <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now the symptom:
    >>>
    >>> There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    >>> upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.
    >>>
    >>> So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    >>> "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

    >> Just a second thought.
    >>
    >> Unplug your modem for a minute or two and try again.
    >>
    >> Start | Run <type in>
    >> cmd /k ipconfig
    >> <enter>
    >>
    >> and see if your even connect to the internet.
    >>
    >> The blinking lights could be the modem trying to renew/aquire a
    >> license.

    > I'm just curious. How exactly do you do this in vista?
    > As I don't see the command line in my start button.
    > All I get is a "search" and anything I type there opens up windows
    > explorer.

    You're such a lazy b'st'd - You do know how to use Google, don't you?

    Here, choke on it you ingrate:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-run-command-on-windows-vista-start-menu/
    Dylan Boman, Dec 22, 2008
  8. pg

    Mack Wiliams Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in message

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 07:06:18 -0800 (PST), pg <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> To all,
    >>
    >> I know there's some malware/trojan/virus inside my PC, because it is
    >> acting very very weird, but I can't do anything about.
    >>
    >> Although I have Norton Antivirus installed, NAV doesn't seem to be
    >> working.
    >>
    >> Spec: Dual Core CPU with 4GB RAM, XP Pro
    >>
    >> Now the symptom:
    >>
    >> There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    >> upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.
    >>
    >> So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    >> "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >>
    >> Then I try download the rsit.exe file, Firefox again gives me that
    >> "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >>
    >> That virus or trojan has blocked me from reaching almost ALL the
    >> known anti-malware / anti-virus sites. It keeps on giving me the
    >> "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server".
    >>
    >> I tried using Opera, Google Chrome and IE to get to those sites, no
    >> luck.
    >>
    >> What is going on, and how to get rid of this malware?
    >>
    >> Please help, as I am out of idea how to fight this thing.
    >>
    >> Thank you for reading, and please help !!
    >>
    >> Wishing all a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas !!
    >>
    >> PS: And I just found out that the darn thing has erased ALL MY
    >> COOKIES !!! Please help !!!

    > Malwarebytes at http://www.malwarebytes.org/. If it won't let you on
    > the site I can email it to you. I'm betting it will clear it up as I
    > know the symptoms well.

    Out of stupidity I'm interested to know what exactly the symptoms are. Can
    you elucidate?

    Mack Wiliams, Dec 22, 2008
  9. pg

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:33:53 -0500, "Dylan Boman"
    <> wrote:

    >richard <> wrote in message

    >>> Just a second thought.
    >>>
    >>> Unplug your modem for a minute or two and try again.
    >>>
    >>> Start | Run <type in>
    >>> cmd /k ipconfig
    >>> <enter>
    >>>
    >>> and see if your even connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> The blinking lights could be the modem trying to renew/aquire a
    >>> license.

    >> I'm just curious. How exactly do you do this in vista?
    >> As I don't see the command line in my start button.
    >> All I get is a "search" and anything I type there opens up windows
    >> explorer.

    >You're such a lazy b'st'd - You do know how to use Google, don't you?
    >
    >Here, choke on it you ingrate:
    >
    >http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-run-command-on-windows-vista-start-menu/

    Thank you.
    Perhaps in the future we should get accustomed to saying "press the
    win button + R".

    BTW, I choked on it and choked on it and choked on it and the damn
    thing still wouldn't start. That's when I noticed it wasn't even
    plugged in.
    richard, Dec 22, 2008
  10. pg

    Top Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:42:48 -0800,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> pg <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Now the symptom:
    >>>
    >>>There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can
    >>>see the upload/download light is on, and I know there's
    >>>something going on.
    >>>
    >>>So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps
    >>>telling me "Firefox can't establish a connection to the
    >>>server"

    >>Just a second thought.
    >>
    >>Unplug your modem for a minute or two and try again.
    >>
    >>Start | Run <type in>
    >>cmd /k ipconfig
    >><enter>
    >>
    >> and see if your even connect to the internet.
    >>
    >>The blinking lights could be the modem trying to
    >>renew/aquire a license.

    > I'm just curious. How exactly do you do this in vista?
    > As I don't see the command line in my start button.
    > All I get is a "search" and anything I type there opens up
    > windows explorer.

    Type the line in the search window just as was indicated. I
    know it says search but it will provide other functions as
    well. Another windows occassion of not clearly identifying
    options/functions

    Top
    Top, Dec 22, 2008
  11. pg

    Top Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > cmd /k ipconfig

    Let me restate that for you. type in "cmd /k" first, <enter>,
    that brings up a an old DOS style command window. Then in this
    case issue the ipconfig <enter>.

    After looking at my first reply the above was not clear
    enough.

    Top
    Top, Dec 22, 2008
  12. pg

    Buffalo Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > "That virus or trojan has blocked me from reaching almost ALL the
    > known anti-malware / anti-virus sites. It keeps on giving me the
    > "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"."
    >
    > Did you miss that part?

    Try downloading MBAM from this site. It may work whereas the MalWareByte's
    site might not.
    http://www.download.com/1770-20_4-0...tes Anti Malware&tag=404&searchtype=downloads
    If you do get it downloaded and it will not install, just change the name of
    the executable, example: change mbam-setup.exe to something like
    gotcha.exe or whatever you want to call it.
    Make sure you click on the MBAM (MalWareByte's Anti-Malware 1.31) link and
    not on the top two ones
    Malware Removal Download------NOT
    Spyware & Trojan Remover-------NOT

    Let us know if it works.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Dec 22, 2008
  13. pg

    Top Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:33:53 -0500, "Dylan Boman"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>richard <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm just curious. How exactly do you do this in vista?
    >>> As I don't see the command line in my start button.
    >>> All I get is a "search" and anything I type there opens
    >>> up windows explorer.

    >>You're such a lazy b'st'd - You do know how to use Google,
    >>don't you?
    >>
    >>Here, choke on it you ingrate:
    >>
    >>http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-run-comm
    >>and-on-windows-vista-start-menu/

    > Thank you.
    > Perhaps in the future we should get accustomed to saying
    > "press the win button + R".
    >
    > BTW, I choked on it and choked on it and choked on it and
    > the damn thing still wouldn't start. That's when I noticed
    > it wasn't even plugged in.

    You didn't choke enough, keep choking till you ......

    BTW, what WIN key combination do you use to access your kiddie
    porn?

    Top
    Top, Dec 22, 2008
  14. pg

    Bob Meager Guest

    pg <> wrote in message

    > To all,
    >
    > I know there's some malware/trojan/virus inside my PC, because it is
    > acting very very weird, but I can't do anything about.
    >
    > Although I have Norton Antivirus installed, NAV doesn't seem to be
    > working.
    >
    > Spec: Dual Core CPU with 4GB RAM, XP Pro
    >
    > Now the symptom:
    >
    > There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    > upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.
    >
    > So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    > "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >
    > Then I try download the rsit.exe file, Firefox again gives me that
    > "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >
    > That virus or trojan has blocked me from reaching almost ALL the known
    > anti-malware / anti-virus sites. It keeps on giving me the "Firefox
    > can't establish a connection to the server".
    >
    > I tried using Opera, Google Chrome and IE to get to those sites, no
    > luck.
    >
    > What is going on, and how to get rid of this malware?
    >
    > Please help, as I am out of idea how to fight this thing.
    >
    > Thank you for reading, and please help !!
    >
    > Wishing all a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas !!
    >
    > PS: And I just found out that the darn thing has erased ALL MY
    > COOKIES !!! Please help !!!

    http://www.grc.com/default.htm

    From 'Hot Spots' select the Shields-Up link then select proceed, then select
    'Common Ports' if the result is 'Stealth' that's good, if not report which
    ports are either open or closed and not 'Stealth'.

    Add to your reporting information if you know why any of the ports either
    open or closed - in other words, do you know what program requires such
    status.

    Once you've determined that and that 'Stealth is the result, you can
    eliminate the possibility of invasive behaviour of your machine, at least
    until next time something on your machine decides to call home.
    Bob Meager, Dec 23, 2008
  15. pg

    Root Kit Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:13:49 -0500, "Bob Meager"
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.grc.com/default.htm

    Everything on that site is to be taken with a grain of salt.

    >From 'Hot Spots' select the Shields-Up link then select proceed, then select
    >'Common Ports'

    then select "Buy a copy of SpinRite", because that is mainly what the
    site is all about.

    >if the result is 'Stealth' that's good, if not report which
    >ports are either open or closed and not 'Stealth'.

    "Stealth" is marketing nonsense.

    >Add to your reporting information if you know why any of the ports either
    >open or closed - in other words, do you know what program requires such
    >status.

    "Closed" is not related to a program status.

    >Once you've determined that and that 'Stealth is the result, you can
    >eliminate the possibility of invasive behaviour of your machine, at least
    >until next time something on your machine decides to call home.

    More nonsense.
    Root Kit, Dec 23, 2008
  16. pg

    Guest

    On Dec 22 2008, 10:06 am, pg <> wrote:
    > To all,
    >
    > I know there's some malware/trojan/virus inside my PC, because it is
    > acting very very weird, but I can't do anything about.
    >
    > Although I have Norton Antivirus installed, NAV doesn't seem to be
    > working.
    >
    > Spec: Dual Core CPU with 4GB RAM, XP Pro
    >
    > Now the symptom:
    >
    > There are times when I am not downloading anything, I can see the
    > upload/download light is on, and I know there's something going on.
    >
    > So I try downloading hijackthis, but my Firefox keeps telling me
    > "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >
    > Then I try download the rsit.exe file, Firefox again gives me that
    > "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"
    >
    > That virus or trojan has blocked me from reaching almost ALL the known
    > anti-malware / anti-virus sites. It keeps on giving me the "Firefox
    > can't establish a connection to the server".
    >
    > I tried using Opera, Google Chrome and IE to get to those sites, no
    > luck.
    >
    > What is going on, and how to get rid of this malware?
    >
    > Please help, as I am out of idea how to fight this thing.
    >
    > Thank you for reading, and please help !!
    >
    > Wishing all a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas !!
    >
    > PS: And I just found out that the darn thing has erased ALL MY
    > COOKIES !!! Please help !!!

    This is just a shot in the dark but, I had a problem that slowed my
    computer, made it freeze and all kinds of other bothersome things. It
    is supposed to be a search type thing but, it takes up so much room
    that it just screws up your computer. It also installs it's self.
    Once it is on your system it is very hard to get rid of. Look in add/
    remove programs and look for anything with the word Zumie in it.
    Zumie Search, Zumie or Zumie.exe. You have to uniinstall it all and
    then disable it. I don't know exactly how to disable it. My friend
    that works on the Postal Computers had to do it for me. If you don't
    disable it the pain in the arse just keeps coming back. If that is
    not what your problem is then you now know to watch out for it. I
    wondered whether or not to get rid of it but, did not know what it was
    until my computer crashed from all kinds of problems. It took several
    hours to bring it up again. You have to make sure that you get rid of
    all of it or it just keeps coming back. Sometimes you will get a fast
    pop up saying this is a very important update and before you can react
    it is installed and the window is gone. So, keep your eyes open for
    it. It sounds like the same problems that I was having. I actually
    had to get out of a site, then restart my computer in order to go to
    another site even when I clicked on a link on a site page or an e-mail
    page. It would drop off line and say can't find server/can't display
    page. It drove me crazy having to restart everytime I wanted to do
    something else and then CRASH! HARD DRIVE ERROR. A great pain. So,
    check it out. Search Zumie or Zumie.exe and you'll find info. If you
    find it on your system and can't get rid of it contact me at
    and I'll get my friend to give me the steps and I
    will be happy to give them to you. It is a BEAR:. I was going
    crazy. It started out doing little things and then it just kept
    getting crazier until my system crashed and when I tried to turn off
    my systerm and let it sit for a little while and then try to reboot it
    would try but, end up telling me Hard Disk Error and would go no
    further. As a matter of fact last night I was sitting at my desk and
    my system crashed again. So, I tried to reboot and just let it sit
    for a couple of hours and then shut it down for the night. This
    morning I turned it on and it booted right up. So, I don't know if my
    friend did something that will search it out and get rid of it when it
    reloads again. Now, I'm running fine but, going to see if it is
    back.. Sam
    , Jan 4, 2009