    Cheers

    -Al

    , Oct 1, 2008

  2. VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.
    >
    > I had a PC, which amongst other things, was showing fake BSOD messages
    > and pretending to restart. I tried several things to try to get rid of
    > this including:
    >
    > 1. Spybot SD in safe mode
    > 2. Malware Antibytes in Safe Mode
    > 3. Installed Kaspersky IS 9
    > 4. Repair Install
    >
    > Nothing I did seemed to fix it. Anyone know how to?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+"fake bsod" +"screen saver"

    You could download some and send the .scr file to www.totalvirus.com to
    see if they get detected as a pest. Might not because they are a screen
    saver so you might've deliberately chosen to use it to fake out someone
    else using your host.

    VanguardLH, Oct 1, 2008

  3. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.
    >
    > I had a PC, which amongst other things, was showing fake BSOD messages
    > and pretending to restart. I tried several things to try to get rid of
    > this including:
    >
    > 1. Spybot SD in safe mode
    > 2. Malware Antibytes in Safe Mode
    > 3. Installed Kaspersky IS 9
    > 4. Repair Install
    >
    > Nothing I did seemed to fix it. Anyone know how to?

    Malwarebytes" Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ will get
    rid of it, used it a few times over the last few weeks to get rid of
    this pest from some client's machines.

    I have it burned onto CD, install of infected machine and run, then
    repeat a second time in safe mode.

    The malware is likely to be anti-virus 2008 oe 2009.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Oct 1, 2008
  4. Tony Guest

    If you're really desperate you could try eliminating one virus with
    another virus.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 1, 2008
  5. joevan Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:51:45 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    >> hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.
    >>
    >> I had a PC, which amongst other things, was showing fake BSOD messages
    >> and pretending to restart. I tried several things to try to get rid of
    >> this including:
    >>
    >> 1. Spybot SD in safe mode
    >> 2. Malware Antibytes in Safe Mode
    >> 3. Installed Kaspersky IS 9
    >> 4. Repair Install
    >>
    >> Nothing I did seemed to fix it. Anyone know how to?

    >Format and re-install
    >
    >I'll get me coat.

    He already did that. Read it again.

    joevan, Oct 1, 2008
  6. joevan Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:01:00 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >Malwarebytes" Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ will get
    >rid of it, used it a few times over the last few weeks to get rid of
    >this pest from some client's machines.
    >
    >I have it burned onto CD, install of infected machine and run, then
    >repeat a second time in safe mode.

    All it found was the following and Malwarebytes said they have no
    information on it. I guess it is a flaw in the program.???
    I looked at the registry entry and found nothing. I also had kaspersky
    scan the registry and they found nothing. What do you think. I am not
    anxious to remove anything from the registry unless I am certain.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives
    (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

    joevan, Oct 1, 2008
  7. khs Guest

    Normally a BSOD message is worth 5, if you send it in/ to your retailer, as
    far as i know. I got the five already.

    To pretent you from further BSOD messages, spent it to south afrika, with
    DHL or other like UPS, for example the nigerian goverment, they would ´be
    very happy to dig this thing.

    Or ask someone to remote login and make a long fixing session via
    tel/cam/radio/satalite or send it to me, i will give you five.

    khs, Oct 1, 2008
  8. On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:17:30 -0400, joevan aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:01:00 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Malwarebytes" Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ will get
    >>rid of it, used it a few times over the last few weeks to get rid of
    >>this pest from some client's machines.
    >>
    >>I have it burned onto CD, install of infected machine and run, then
    >>repeat a second time in safe mode.

    > All it found was the following and Malwarebytes said they have no
    > information on it. I guess it is a flaw in the program.???
    > I looked at the registry entry and found nothing. I also had kaspersky
    > scan the registry and they found nothing. What do you think. I am not
    > anxious to remove anything from the registry unless I am certain.
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives
    > (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

    The problem *is* windows.
    Your best best is a low-level format of the drive with a reinstallation.

    Really wipe the drive using a disk utility that will over write it with
    multi-pass :)

    HTH

    §ñühwØ£f, Oct 1, 2008
  9. olfart Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 01:32:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >
    >>Hi guys,
    >>
    >>I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    >>hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.
    >>
    >>I had a PC, which amongst other things, was showing fake BSOD messages
    >>and pretending to restart. I tried several things to try to get rid of
    >>this including:
    >>
    >>1. Spybot SD in safe mode
    >>2. Malware Antibytes in Safe Mode
    >>3. Installed Kaspersky IS 9
    >>4. Repair Install
    >>
    >>Nothing I did seemed to fix it. Anyone know how to?
    >>

    > partition your drive. One partition for programs and the other for
    > data
    > Get a nice clean install on the active partition.
    > store a disk image of the clean install on the other partition using
    > any imaging app.
    > Update image at least monthly.
    > When fan falls into dog turd restore using clean image

    unless the HD goes bellly up...in which case you lose it all.
    Image should be on a separate media....or...I prefer cloning the entire
    drive to an external drive with periodic updates. Then if it hits the fan
    just swap your internal drive with the external one and you are back in
    business. I use CasperXP with excellant results and it had saved me from
    serious problems mor than once.

    olfart, Oct 1, 2008
  10. Guest

    > The malware is likely to be anti-virus 2008 oe 2009.
    >

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    The other thing I should mention is that this does not seem to be a
    registry hook. The fake BSOD and fake restart happens during the part
    of the boot process where Windows Logo is displayed. Which I assume
    means that this spyware or whatever has infected a core windows system
    file????

    Cheers

    -Al

    , Oct 1, 2008
  11. joevan Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:31:45 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:51:45 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Format and re-install
    >>>
    >>> I'll get me coat.

    >> He already did that. Read it again.

    >It was a joke you tw*t. Read it again.

    Now I am laughing. Ha Ha.

    joevan, Oct 1, 2008
  12. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.
    >
    > I had a PC, which amongst other things, was showing fake BSOD messages
    > and pretending to restart. I tried several things to try to get rid of
    > this including:
    >
    > 1. Spybot SD in safe mode
    > 2. Malware Antibytes in Safe Mode
    > 3. Installed Kaspersky IS 9
    > 4. Repair Install
    >
    > Nothing I did seemed to fix it. Anyone know how to?

    Put a clean boot CD in the drive, Power down, power up, go *immediately*
    into the bios, reset bios defaults. Set boot order to be the CD first,
    exit the bios, boot to command prompt. remove *all* partition(s), create
    new partition(s), rewrite the boot sector, format partitions, switch to
    the install CD for XP? and install XP(?). Sorry, but without knowing what
    OS we're dealing with, more detail is impossible.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 1, 2008
  13. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    >> The malware is likely to be anti-virus 2008 oe 2009.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >> Oldus Fartus

    > The other thing I should mention is that this does not seem to be a
    > registry hook. The fake BSOD and fake restart happens during the part
    > of the boot process where Windows Logo is displayed. Which I assume
    > means that this spyware or whatever has infected a core windows system
    > file????

    There is a fair bit written about it, have a look at
    http://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2009.html for manual removal.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Oct 1, 2008
  14. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.

    How did you conclude that the BSOD messages were fake???

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 2, 2008
  15. Guest

    On Oct 2, 4:46 pm, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    > > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.

    > How did you conclude that the BSOD messages were fake???
    >
    > --http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Because the BSOD is displayed for about 3 seconds, then the screen is
    black for two seconds, then XP logo again then a new BSOD. If it was
    really a BSOD and PC was set to restart automatically (a) it would
    never be displayed for 3 seconds it would be more like 1, and if it
    did restart I would see the BIOS screen etc etc etc...

    -Al

    , Oct 2, 2008
  16. Guest

    On Oct 2, 10:56 am, Oldus Fartus <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >> The malware is likely to be anti-virus 2008 oe 2009.

    > >> --
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Oldus Fartus

    > > The other thing I should mention is that this does not seem to be a
    > > registry hook. The fake BSOD and fake restart happens during the part
    > > of the boot process where Windows Logo is displayed. Which I assume
    > > means that this spyware or whatever has infected a core windows system
    > > file????

    > There is a fair bit written about it, have a look athttp://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2009.htmlfor manual removal.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    Thanks, but that website never mentions BSOD as a symptom?

    , Oct 2, 2008
  17. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > > > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
    > > > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.

    > > How did you conclude that the BSOD messages were fake???

    > Because the BSOD is displayed for about 3 seconds, then the screen is
    > black for two seconds, then XP logo again then a new BSOD. If it was

    Which means the BSODs are NOT fake.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#6

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 2, 2008
  18. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 10:56 am, Oldus Fartus <>
    > wrote:
    >>> The other thing I should mention is that this does not seem to be a
    >>> registry hook. The fake BSOD and fake restart happens during the part
    >>> of the boot process where Windows Logo is displayed. Which I assume
    >>> means that this spyware or whatever has infected a core windows system
    >>> file????

    >> There is a fair bit written about it, have a look athttp://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2009.htmlfor manual removal.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >> Oldus Fartus

    > Thanks, but that website never mentions BSOD as a symptom?

    It isn't really a BSOD, but a screensaver which appears to show a BSOD,
    then appears to show the computer restarting. If you hit a key during
    either the BSOD or the bios display process, the Windows desktop
    appears. It also blocks access to any of the Anti-virus sites, and
    gives an error message that your anti-virus program has been disabled.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Oct 2, 2008