    Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
    lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
    flat, plstic like material.

    Paul L, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Paul L

    Unspam Guest

    > Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
    > lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
    > flat, plstic like material.

    Don't worry about it, use a lens hood and you won't even notice it.

    Unspam, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Paul L wrote:
    > Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
    > a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
    > is a flat, plstic like material.

    I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos are
    exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In any case
    if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest sandpaper. :)

    While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and are
    available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the plastic
    rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on a camera.

    On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the careful
    application of a flat black material like India Ink.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 20, 2006
  4. Paul L

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Paul L wrote:
    >> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
    >> a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
    >> is a flat, plstic like material.

    > I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos
    > are exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In
    > any case if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest
    > sandpaper. :)
    >
    > While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and
    > are available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the
    > plastic rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on
    > a camera.
    >
    > On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the
    > careful application of a flat black material like India Ink.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    I have never used them, but I have seen advertisements for
    a polymer solution of some sort for eye glasses that is
    supposed to "remove" the scratches. The trick is to fill it
    in with something that has the same index of refraction as
    what it is filling. Never used it, but you might want to
    check it out.

    Of course the better answer is not to get the scratch in the
    first place ... like you didn't know that. If your camera can
    take filters, put something like a UV or skylight filter on the
    front. Much cheaper than the front element of the lens ..

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Paul L

    SimonLW Guest

    "Paul L" <> wrote in message
    > Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
    > lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
    > flat, plstic like material.

    If it is not affecting the image, leave it be. Do not try to polish the lens
    cover because polishing removes material around the scratch and changes the
    optical properties making it some what of a mild concave shape, thus may
    effect the image the camera produces. If you you are getting flare from the
    scratch, filling it the damage with black ink that adheres to the plastic
    well may work.
    -S

    SimonLW, Oct 20, 2006
  6. ? "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> ?????? ??? ??????

    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > > Paul L wrote:
    > >> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
    > >> a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
    > >> is a flat, plstic like material.

    > > I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos
    > > are exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In
    > > any case if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest
    > > sandpaper. :)
    > >
    > > While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and
    > > are available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the
    > > plastic rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on
    > > a camera.
    > >
    > > On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the
    > > careful application of a flat black material like India Ink.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Joseph Meehan
    > >
    > > Dia duit

    > I have never used them, but I have seen advertisements for
    > a polymer solution of some sort for eye glasses that is
    > supposed to "remove" the scratches. The trick is to fill it
    > in with something that has the same index of refraction as
    > what it is filling. Never used it, but you might want to
    > check it out.
    >
    > Of course the better answer is not to get the scratch in the
    > first place ... like you didn't know that. If your camera can
    > take filters, put something like a UV or skylight filter on the
    > front. Much cheaper than the front element of the lens ..

    seconded.My digital camera (Kodak CX 7300)has a glass protective thingy
    (what would you call it?glass surface?) although its glass is plastic and I
    strongly recommend you put an 1A or 1B to your camcorder,too.(Not UV which
    has a light yellowish tint and was generally used in B&W)

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Oct 20, 2006
  7. Paul L

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/20/06 12:58 PM, in article
    , "Mike Fields"
    <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >> Paul L wrote:
    >>> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
    >>> a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
    >>> is a flat, plstic like material.

    >> I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos
    >> are exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In
    >> any case if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest
    >> sandpaper. :)
    >>
    >> While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and
    >> are available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the
    >> plastic rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on
    >> a camera.
    >>
    >> On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the
    >> careful application of a flat black material like India Ink.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph Meehan
    >>
    >> Dia duit

    > I have never used them, but I have seen advertisements for
    > a polymer solution of some sort for eye glasses that is
    > supposed to "remove" the scratches. The trick is to fill it
    > in with something that has the same index of refraction as
    > what it is filling. Never used it, but you might want to
    > check it out.
    >
    > Of course the better answer is not to get the scratch in the
    > first place ... like you didn't know that. If your camera can
    > take filters, put something like a UV or skylight filter on the
    > front. Much cheaper than the front element of the lens ..
    >
    > mikey

    They will warn you that it is for uncoated lenses only. I assume this also
    applys to camera lens glass.

    George Kerby, Oct 21, 2006
  8. Paul L

    ColinD Guest

    Paul L wrote:
    > Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
    > lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
    > flat, plstic like material.

    A flat plastic 'lens'? There should be no flat plastic of any sort in
    front of your lens. Do you mean the cover over the lcd screen on the
    back of the camera?

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Oct 21, 2006
  9. Paul L

    JohnR66 Guest

    "ColinD" <nospam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Paul L wrote:
    >> Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
    >> lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
    >> flat, plstic like material.

    > A flat plastic 'lens'? There should be no flat plastic of any sort in
    > front of your lens. Do you mean the cover over the lcd screen on the back
    > of the camera?
    >
    > Colin D.

    Some older models did indeed have a flat piece of plastic over the lens. I
    remember some cheap Fujifilm models had it and, IIRC, My Kodak DC280 had
    it. It seemed to be hard coated so scratching was never an issue.
    JOhn

    JohnR66, Oct 21, 2006
  10. Paul L

    Duncan Guest

    Leave well alone and shoot away from the sun using a lens hood.

    But if the lens is expendable I would consider creating a soft focus lens by
    using ultra fine emery and oil to smooth the lens in places to create an
    effect lens.

    Duncan

    Duncan, Oct 21, 2006