    It's particularly annoying because it's an adware planted by an
    anti-adware product promoter.

    Thank you..

    Jake72, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Jake72

    The Prophecy Guest

    Jake72 wrote:
    > Help! How do I get rid of an adware from http://s13ds.d8t.biz which
    > seems to be activated everytime I opem IE ? I have rin Ad Aware6,
    > Spyware Blaster and AVG antivirus, none of which have eliminated it.
    >
    > It's particularly annoying because it's an adware planted by an
    > anti-adware product promoter.
    >
    > Thank you..

    Try Spybot S&D.

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    The Prophecy, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Jake72

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    (Jake72) wrote in

    > Help! How do I get rid of an adware from http://s13ds.d8t.biz which
    > seems to be activated everytime I opem IE ? I have rin Ad Aware6,
    > Spyware Blaster and AVG antivirus, none of which have eliminated it.

    First, stop using IE. Really. But if you insist:

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

    SpywareGuard (same folks who make Spywareblaster)

    Free and effective.

    > It's particularly annoying because it's an adware planted by an
    > anti-adware product promoter.
    >
    > Thank you..

    Might also stop using IE. I know I'm repeating it but it's true. IE's holes
    are one of the biggest reasons we have worms and crap spreading...

    --

    Doc
    Member of the Cabal

    Dealing with life, one hug and one virtual sister at a time

    irc2.peacefulhaven.net -or- http://www.peacefulhaven.net

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jun 26, 2004
  4. Jake72

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 26 Jun 2004 02:47:21 GMT, "[ Doc Jeff ]" <>
    wrote:

    >First, stop using IE

    The simple fact is that MS have become the defecto standard;
    here is the analysis of my website hits

    Browser Visitors
    1 Internet Explorer 6.x 69.91%
    2 Internet Explorer 5.x 15.15%
    3 Netscape 6.x 3.17%
    4 Netscape 4.x 2.48%
    5 Others 230 1.11%
    6 Netscape 2.x 1.06%
    7 Netscape 3.x 1.03%
    8 Netscape 7.x 0.75%
    9 Netscape 5.x 0 64%
    10 google 0.54%
    11 Opera 0.54%
    12 Internet Explorer 4.x 0.31%
    13 Internet Explorer 7.x 0.29%
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Jake72

    Jake72 Guest

    wrote:

    >> (Jake72) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Help! How do I get rid of an adware from http://s13ds.d8t.biz which
    >>> seems to be activated everytime I opem IE ? I have rin Ad Aware6,
    >>> Spyware Blaster and AVG antivirus, none of which have eliminated it.

    >>First, stop using IE. Really. But if you insist:
    >>
    >>http://www.javacoolsoftware.com
    >>
    >>SpywareGuard (same folks who make Spywareblaster)
    >>
    >>Free and effective.
    >>
    >>> It's particularly annoying because it's an adware planted by an
    >>> anti-adware product promoter.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you..

    >>Might also stop using IE. I know I'm repeating it but it's true. IE's holes
    >>are one of the biggest reasons we have worms and crap spreading...

    Doc, Thank you for the help. I did try using Mozilla for a while but
    it was so damn slow to load that I caved in and went back to
    quick-loading IE. Is there a secure browser tha loads quickly?

    Jake

    Jake72, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Jake72

    Jake72 Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:44:15 GMT, "The Prophecy"
    <> wrote:

    >>Jake72 wrote:
    >>> Help! How do I get rid of an adware from http://s13ds.d8t.biz which
    >>> seems to be activated everytime I opem IE ? I have rin Ad Aware6,
    >>> Spyware Blaster and AVG antivirus, none of which have eliminated it.
    >>>
    >>> It's particularly annoying because it's an adware planted by an
    >>> anti-adware product promoter.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you..

    >>Try Spybot S&D.

    Thanks; I tried that one and it didn't find it or eliminate it.

    Jake

    Jake72, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Jake72

    Nil Guest

    On 26 Jun 2004, (Jake72) wrote in

    > Doc, Thank you for the help. I did try using Mozilla for a while
    > but it was so damn slow to load that I caved in and went back to
    > quick-loading IE. Is there a secure browser tha loads quickly?

    Check out the latest version of Mozilla Firefox that came out about a
    week ago:

    I can't speak about it's security, but at least it's not IE! I have had
    to keep going back to IE in the past because everything else was
    annoyingly slow, but this new Firefox is much quicker than the
    previous. It's got some nice features and it seems to render pages just
    as well as IE.

    Nil, Jun 26, 2004
  8. Jake72

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    >>First, stop using IE

    > The simple fact is that MS have become the defecto standard;

    I know. And that's exactly why IE is the most-targeted browser. Popularity
    breeds exploits for software.

    > Browser Visitors
    > 1 Internet Explorer 6.x 69.91%
    > 2 Internet Explorer 5.x 15.15%

    Does that cover IE for the Mac?

    > 13 Internet Explorer 7.x 0.29%

    7.x ? From where does that originate?

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jun 27, 2004
  9. Jake72

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    (Jake72) wrote in

    > Doc, Thank you for the help. I did try using Mozilla for a while but
    > it was so damn slow to load that I caved in and went back to
    > quick-loading IE. Is there a secure browser tha loads quickly?

    I'm rather fond of Lynx but it might not be as full-featured as people need
    a browser to be. Mozilla's Firefox is relatively fast (vs. the big monster
    Mozilla)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jun 27, 2004
  10. Jake72

    Jake72 Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:40:22 GMT, Nil <>
    wrote:

    >>On 26 Jun 2004, (Jake72) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Doc, Thank you for the help. I did try using Mozilla for a while
    >>> but it was so damn slow to load that I caved in and went back to
    >>> quick-loading IE. Is there a secure browser tha loads quickly?

    >>Check out the latest version of Mozilla Firefox that came out about a
    >>week ago:
    >>
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    >>
    >>I can't speak about it's security, but at least it's not IE! I have had
    >>to keep going back to IE in the past because everything else was
    >>annoyingly slow, but this new Firefox is much quicker than the
    >>previous. It's got some nice features and it seems to render pages just
    >>as well as IE.

    WoW! Thanks for that. I was using Mozilla Firebird 7. This new Firefox
    is beautifully fast in comparison. No more IE for me!

    Jake

    Jake72, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Jake72

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jun 27, 2004
  12. Jake72

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 27 Jun 2004 04:00:35 GMT, "[ Doc Jeff ]" <>
    wrote:

    >Jim Watt <_way> wrote in
    >
    >>>First, stop using IE

    >> The simple fact is that MS have become the defecto standard;

    >I know. And that's exactly why IE is the most-targeted browser. Popularity
    >breeds exploits for software.
    >
    >> Browser Visitors
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >> 1 Internet Explorer 6.x 69.91%
    >> 2 Internet Explorer 5.x 15.15%

    >Does that cover IE for the Mac?

    do people still use Macs :)

    >> 13 Internet Explorer 7.x 0.29%

    >7.x ? From where does that originate?

    Thats a good question, I spotted that too and its either someone
    being clever patching the browser info -or- there is one out there.

    The figures come from a couple of weeks activity on gibnet.com
    which is a reasonable guide to 'whats out there' its got 500 unique
    visitors a day.

    I used to use Netscape 3 but the reality is that there are websites
    that only work with IE 5+ so now I use it too, and have given up
    on strict backward compatibility.

    BUT I do run the security updates promptly.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 27, 2004
  13. Jake72

    Jake72 Guest

    On 27 Jun 2004 04:00:37 GMT, "[ Doc Jeff ]" <>
    wrote:

    >> (Jake72) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Doc, Thank you for the help. I did try using Mozilla for a while but
    >>> it was so damn slow to load that I caved in and went back to
    >>> quick-loading IE. Is there a secure browser tha loads quickly?

    >>I'm rather fond of Lynx but it might not be as full-featured as people need
    >>a browser to be. Mozilla's Firefox is relatively fast (vs. the big monster
    >>Mozilla)

    So I've just discovered! It's wonderfully fast in fact. Unfortunately,
    I'm now finding that the poxy IE pop-ups are appearing even when I'm
    not using any browser! Any suggestions? I think I was using my email
    program (Calypso) when the last pop-up appeared.

    Jake

    Jake72, Jun 27, 2004
  14. Jake72

    Zarggg Guest

    On 27 Jun 04 00:00, [ Doc Jeff ] wrote:

    > (Jake72) wrote in
    >
    >> Doc, Thank you for the help. I did try using Mozilla for a while
    >> but it was so damn slow to load that I caved in and went back to
    >> quick-loading IE. Is there a secure browser tha loads quickly?

    > I'm rather fond of Lynx but it might not be as full-featured as
    > people need a browser to be. Mozilla's Firefox is relatively fast
    > (vs. the big monster Mozilla)

    Bah! Mozilla's fast enough for me. Even though Firefox is more
    streamlined and optimized for browsing-only purposes, the Suite is still
    better enough than IE to fit my uses. :)
    --
    Zarggg
    KeyID: 0x6425C4ED

    Zarggg, Jun 27, 2004
  15. Jake72

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Frode <> wrote in

    >>I know. And that's exactly why IE is the most-targeted browser.
    >>Popularity breeds exploits for software.

    > One would think that's the case. But looking at webservers it's the
    > exact opposite. IIS has a paltry 20ish percent of the market,

    And mostly corporate types, too, I'll bet.

    > Apache has well over 60%. Yet my webserver logs show nothing but IIS
    > worms trying to infect. Go figure.

    Apache's a bit tougher to infect though. IIS - not so difficult to do that.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jun 28, 2004
  16. Jake72

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    >>> 2 Internet Explorer 5.x 15.15%

    >>Does that cover IE for the Mac?

    > do people still use Macs :)

    Aye, the sure do. And I have to get back to coding for them, too (sigh)

    >>> 13 Internet Explorer 7.x 0.29%

    >>7.x ? From where does that originate?

    > Thats a good question, I spotted that too and its either someone
    > being clever patching the browser info -or- there is one out there.

    For a moment I thought it might be the one included with 2k+3 Server.

    > I used to use Netscape 3 but the reality is that there are websites
    > that only work with IE 5+ so now I use it too, and have given up
    > on strict backward compatibility.

    I know people who refuse to code for NS 4.x or lower anymore.

    > BUT I do run the security updates promptly.

    Bless you!

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jun 28, 2004
  17. Jake72

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    (Jake72) wrote in

    >>>I'm rather fond of Lynx but it might not be as full-featured as
    >>>people need a browser to be. Mozilla's Firefox is relatively fast
    >>>(vs. the big monster Mozilla)

    > So I've just discovered! It's wonderfully fast in fact. Unfortunately,
    > I'm now finding that the poxy IE pop-ups are appearing even when I'm
    > not using any browser! Any suggestions? I think I was using my email
    > program (Calypso) when the last pop-up appeared.

    If you're using Win2K/NT/XP, turn off the MS Messenger Service. Gibson
    (grc.com) has a ShootTheMessenger program that'll do it if you wish.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jun 28, 2004
  18. Jake72

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Zarggg <> wrote in

    > Bah! Mozilla's fast enough for me. Even though Firefox is more
    > streamlined and optimized for browsing-only purposes, the Suite is still
    > better enough than IE to fit my uses. :)

    Please, PLEASE try it on a machine that is under 500mhz. :)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jun 28, 2004
  19. Jake72

    Zarggg Guest

    On 27 Jun 04 23:29, [ Doc Jeff ] wrote:

    > Zarggg <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bah! Mozilla's fast enough for me. Even though Firefox is more
    >> streamlined and optimized for browsing-only purposes, the Suite is
    >> still better enough than IE to fit my uses. :)

    > Please, PLEASE try it on a machine that is under 500mhz. :)

    If it counts, my machine _is_ 500MHz. :p But yes, I do understand your
    point.

    Zarggg, Jun 28, 2004
  20. Jake72

    Jake72 Guest

    On 28 Jun 2004 03:29:29 GMT, "[ Doc Jeff ]" <>
    wrote:

    >> (Jake72) wrote in

    >>> So I've just discovered! It's wonderfully fast in fact. Unfortunately,
    >>> I'm now finding that the poxy IE pop-ups are appearing even when I'm
    >>> not using any browser! Any suggestions? I think I was using my email
    >>> program (Calypso) when the last pop-up appeared.

    >>If you're using Win2K/NT/XP, turn off the MS Messenger Service. Gibson
    >>(grc.com) has a ShootTheMessenger program that'll do it if you wish.

    Doc, I'm using Win 98. What do I do? Thanks again,
    Jake

    Jake72, Jun 28, 2004