    --
    I plan to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in
    terror like his passengers.
    Phyloe, May 6, 2004

  2. Phyloe

    Boomer Guest

    "Phyloe" <> did say:

    > A long time ago I tried a download that erased all the deleted
    > stuff on my
    > hard drive but it was only a trial. I mean the stuff I downloaded
    > and then deleted later. I understand that things are still on the
    > hard drive but the delete function only erases the path. Correct?
    > I understand that this stuff eventually over loads the hard drive.
    > What is the down load that will erase this stuff. My PC has been
    > getting slower lately and I want to remove all that junk.
    > TIA
    > Phyloe

    Hi

    Have you read these?

    °Mike°'s
    Basic computer maintenance page:

    °Mike°'s defrag page:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html
    Boomer, May 6, 2004

  3. Phyloe

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 18:42:14 -0500, "Phyloe" <>
    wrote:

    > A long time ago I tried a download that erased all the deleted stuff on my
    >hard drive but it was only a trial. I mean the stuff I downloaded and then
    >deleted later. I understand that things are still on the hard drive but the
    >delete function only erases the path. Correct?

    Correct enough.

    >I understand that this stuff
    >eventually over loads the hard drive.

    Not correct at all.

    When you delete a file (presuming you also empty it from the Recycle
    Bin), Windows simply removes the directory reference to the file,
    indicating that the disk space occupied by this file is no longer
    needed. The data still exists on your hard drive. HOWEVER, Windows
    has been instructed that the space that data occupies is available for
    use. So, even though you still may have tons of data on your hard
    drive in the form of these deleted files, Windows can use that space
    whenever it needs it. Your hard drive will never get overloaded with
    deleted files.

    >What is the down load that will erase
    >this stuff. My PC has been getting slower lately and I want to remove all
    >that junk.

    You don't need a program to erase these deleted files; Windows can use
    that space any time it needs to. Your computer is slowing down for
    some other reason. If you want to permanently erase them anyways,
    there are jillions of third party programs that will do this.

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=permanently erase files&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, May 6, 2004
  4. Phyloe

    Tim Kettring Guest

    Have you defraged it first . Thats the 1st thing I would try .

    Tim Kettring, May 6, 2004