how to get mp3's onto cassettes?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PC, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    snip
    > Went to best buy and asked for a machine to plug into USB port to record
    > cassette tapes from my mp3 songs but only got stupid looks and "we don't
    > sell these".
    >
    > Anybody know how to do this?

    snip

    Hi Sherlock

    Cassette tapes record their 'data' in an analog format, USB communicates
    with 'digital' data.

    Put another way music on a Cassette tape is a track of varying magnetic
    strength that waves up and down in tune to the music. MP3's on the other
    hand record the music as a string of 0's and 1's. Neither format understands
    the other.

    There is plenty of information on the net to convert from a Cassette tape to
    MP3's. This is usually to connect the earphone of the Cassette Player to the
    Line input of your Sound Card and press play on the Cassette player and
    Record on the Computers Recording software at the same time.

    However I note you want to go the OTHER WAY that is MP3's to Cassette tape.

    To 'Record' digital music (MP3's, wave's, whatever) from the USB Port you
    would need a 'device' that converts the digital data stream into an analog
    stream so the cassette recorder can 'write' the data in analog format to the
    Cassette tape.
    If what you want to do is Record your MP3 music by plugging some sort of
    'Cassette' recorder into the USB port, then (as far as I know) there are no
    commercial devices available to do that. (Advice to the contrary gratefully
    accepted) Building such a device is unlikely to be commercially viable given
    that Cassette based music storage is now regarded as out of date. Just look
    how few Cassettes are on sale at your local music store compared to the
    thousands of CD's.

    There is of course the option of 'Playing' your MP3 on your computer and
    using an ordinary Cassette recorder to 'Record' the sound card output to
    Cassette tape.
    You would need a cord to connect the 'Line Out' of your Sound card (often
    also the speaker output socket) to the 'Line In' socket of your Cassette
    recorder.
    More than likely the cord will only need a simple 3.5mm Stereo Phono plug on
    each end. Most of the 'Electronic' stores should have one in stock.

    Cheers
    Paul

    Sherlock, Oct 31, 2003

  3. PC

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Oct 31, 2003
  4. PC

    Ionizer Guest

    "Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Went to best buy and asked for a machine to plug into USB port to record
    > cassette tapes from my mp3 songs but only got stupid looks and "we don't
    > sell these".
    >
    > Anybody know how to do this?
    >
    > thanks

    You need a "Y" jack bit of cable, with a 1/8" mini plug to fit into the line
    out of your sound card on one end, and two RCA jacks on the other. It'll
    cost you a couple of dollars and you'll find it with all the other wiring
    and connectors at your local electronics shop. You'll also then need a
    length of cable with left and right RCA jacks to attach to the "Y" and then
    connect to the "audio in" of your cassette recorder.

    Then just tape the tunes as you would from any other source.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 31, 2003
  5. PC

    Richard Guest

    Sherlock wrote:

    > Went to best buy and asked for a machine to plug into USB port to
    > record
    > cassette tapes from my mp3 songs but only got stupid looks and "we
    > don't
    > sell these".

    > Anybody know how to do this?

    > thanks

    Audio output of your sound card to the tape machine.
    If audio is weak, try using an inline amplifier.
    Suggest using a larger tape deck like that of a regular sound system rather
    than a handheld unit, as the larger ones tend to have the proper jacks.
    Some will even have a preamp builtin which will help with weak signals.

    Richard, Oct 31, 2003
  6. PC

    Ionizer Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    Your clock settings appear to be wrong. You've apparently answered a
    question almost twenty hours before it was even asked!

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 31, 2003
  7. PC

    PC Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message

    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Your clock settings appear to be wrong. You've apparently answered a
    > question almost twenty hours before it was even asked!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    mmmmm thats a puzzlement.

    I've fixed it now, but can't determine when it 'lost time'
    Fairly new PC so will have to keep an eye on that.

    cheers
    Paul

    PC, Oct 31, 2003
  8. PC

    d c Guest

    > Went to best buy and asked for a machine to plug into USB port to record
    > cassette tapes from my mp3 songs but only got stupid looks

    Try a Radio Shack.

    --

    I shave with Occam's Razor
    http://www.dwacon.com

    d c, Oct 31, 2003
  9. PC

    Trevor Smith Guest

    "Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Went to best buy and asked for a machine to plug into USB port to record
    > cassette tapes from my mp3 songs but only got stupid looks and "we don't
    > sell these".
    >
    > Anybody know how to do this?
    >
    > thanks

    Have you got a CD writer on your PC and a hi-fi system which allows you to
    tape music CD's? Burn a music CD on your PC from your mp3's, put the CD into
    the hi-fi and record the tape from there. Reason: most of the loss of
    quality is the digital to analog conversion step. I'll bet most hifi's will
    beat most PC's for this.

    Trevor

    Trevor Smith, Oct 31, 2003
  10. No shit Sherlock..I can see why you got a stupid look.

    NewKillerStar, Nov 1, 2003
  11. Did you try to plug your tape recorder in computer's head phone jack???

    Pierre

    Pierre Beaulieu, Nov 7, 2003
  12. PC

    Cassette_Collector

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    MP3 to AUDIO CASSETTE RECORDING/USB TO AUDIO CASSETTE RECORDING

    There is a very good way to record MP3 files into audio cassette. One of the best products in the market is PHILIPS AZ1852 CD SOUNDMACHINE. There is also another model AZ1856 which is very similar, I dont know if there is any technical difference between AZ1852 and AZ1856.

    Method 1:
    1) Insert the USB stick with MP3 files into the AZ1852 USB connector
    2) Insert blank cassette, it is better to use TDK or MAXELL cassettes as these are highest quality.
    3 Press record to record on to the cassette.

    The method above assumes that the MP3 files have good volume level.

    However many times, MP3 files downloaded (sometimes even brand new CDs have this problem) are having poor volume.

    The 2 methods below will be suitable for low volume files, also applicable to low volume CDs and uses laptop or any computer..

    Method 2:
    1) Play the USB stick or hard disk MP3 files using Winamp or Windows Media Player.
    2)Adjust volume of Winamp from Mid level to Max level, depending on how low the volume is. Too high level may cause clipping effect due to limited dynamic range of sound card.
    3) Attach audio cable from Headphone output of laptop to AZ1852/56 AUX IN connector.
    4) Press record button on AZ1852.
    5) Click play on Winamp/Media player on laptop.

    Method 3:
    Same as method 1, however, you use software like AUDACITY to boost the volume level. Low volume files could be boosted like 6 or 7dB. Bass boost of 12 dB in Audacity hides the melody sounds and is not very good. Overboost would cause audible distorsion.

    In general Winamp is very good to know the TOTAL PLAYING TIME in the play list to cleanly fit into the blank audio cassette. Media Player does not seem to show the total playing time, only the individual playing time.

    AZ1852 is available time to time from website like Ebay and Indian website like Rediff, Futuremart, RetailMart etc.

    Cassette always has convenience of not requiring battery to maintain playing position, USB sticks use up the standby power. I am not sure if solar powered USB has come to do what cassette can do without battery.

    Cassette_Collector, Jul 6, 2011