How to get into Phoenix Bios?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SR, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. SR

    SR Guest

    Holding down F2 during boot doesn't get me into
    the Phoenix BIOS on this machine.

    The Trident on-board VGA has 512 KB of video memory.
    It supports 256 colors at 800 by 600 resolution. All I
    get is 16 colors at 640 by 480 resolution.

    Disabling the device and re-enabling the device doesn't
    solve the problem.

    Device Manager tells me that the memory addresses are
    being used by \Driver\VgaSave. Searching for VgaSave
    using the search option from the Start button finds
    no file named VgaSave

    Later:
    Keys tested: ESC, Delete, Insert, F1,. F2, F8,
    F10. No luck at getting into BIOS.

    The only information I've been able to find on
    the Internet gives F2 as the magic BIOS key.

    SR, Oct 20, 2003

  2. SR

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'SR',

    What error message, if any, have you got against Display in System
    Properties. Click on the + sign next to Display adapters so that you
    can view the contents.

    It appears that you need to reinstall your Display driver. You probably
    have a CD-Rom disk which contains the relevant driver. If not you will
    need to download a driver which is appropriate for your video card.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    "SR" <-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
    > Holding down F2 during boot doesn't get me into
    > the Phoenix BIOS on this machine.
    >
    > The Trident on-board VGA has 512 KB of video memory.
    > It supports 256 colors at 800 by 600 resolution. All I
    > get is 16 colors at 640 by 480 resolution.
    >
    > Disabling the device and re-enabling the device doesn't
    > solve the problem.
    >
    > Device Manager tells me that the memory addresses are
    > being used by \Driver\VgaSave. Searching for VgaSave
    > using the search option from the Start button finds
    > no file named VgaSave
    >
    > Later:
    > Keys tested: ESC, Delete, Insert, F1,. F2, F8,
    > F10. No luck at getting into BIOS.
    >
    > The only information I've been able to find on
    > the Internet gives F2 as the magic BIOS key.

    http://www.uncensored-news.com

    <><><><><><><><>

    Emrys Davies, Oct 20, 2003

  3. SR

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot into Safe Mode and remove the display adapter
    from Device Manager. Reboot, let Windows re-detect
    it, then update your drivers to the latest version.

    On 20 Oct 2003 11:56:46 GMT, in
    <-news.com>
    SR scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 20, 2003
  4. SR

    SR Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Boot into Safe Mode and remove the display adapter
    > from Device Manager. Reboot, let Windows re-detect
    > it, then update your drivers to the latest version.

    Problem solved! Thanks for the hints...

    SR, Oct 22, 2003
  5. SR

    °Mike° Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 02:59:27 GMT, in
    <-news.com>
    SR scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Boot into Safe Mode and remove the display adapter
    >> from Device Manager. Reboot, let Windows re-detect
    >> it, then update your drivers to the latest version.
    >>

    >Problem solved! Thanks for the hints...

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance