How to get IHUG to fix their stupid server !!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob J, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    A few weeks ago I tried to sign up to Ihug using their web site online
    registration.

    As you can guess this did not work. Despite attempts over several days,
    each time the server did not work, giving a 500 server error.

    The error page gave a contact email address, to which I sent a message
    but got no reply. Eventually I signed on using the phone.

    Today, I wanted to sign up a friend to global roaming. It can't be done
    over the phone, only via the website.

    Well of course, the server, the.ihug.co.nz refuses to work, giving me a
    message about not having cookies enabled in my browser. Which is complete
    crap. Using IE4, sure, but it should be able to work on their site.

    Why the hell can't Ihug fix their damn useless server instead of the
    inconvenience of people not being able to use their online site services.
    Rob J, Apr 18, 2005

  2. And while your at it
    Get Mozilla to fix their bloody browser
    That can't handle banner adverts
    FreedomChooser, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Rob J

    grolschie Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > Well of course, the server, the.ihug.co.nz refuses to work, giving me a
    > message about not having cookies enabled in my browser. Which is complete
    > crap. Using IE4, sure, but it should be able to work on their site.

    No. You're kidding us right? IE4? The site probably has some HTTPS/SSL stuff
    that IE4 does not support.
    grol
    grolschie, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <YlN8e.19734$> in nz.comp on Tue,
    19 Apr 2005 00:03:55 +1200, grolschie <> says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Well of course, the server, the.ihug.co.nz refuses to work, giving me a
    > > message about not having cookies enabled in my browser. Which is complete
    > > crap. Using IE4, sure, but it should be able to work on their site.

    > No. You're kidding us right? IE4? The site probably has some HTTPS/SSL stuff
    > that IE4 does not support.
    > grol

    Well there is this stupid limitation that you can only register on a
    computer that is actually dialled up to the internet using the same
    username and password that you register for the service with. And that it
    can only be done over the Internet.
    Rob J, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Rob J

    grolschie Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <YlN8e.19734$> in nz.comp on Tue,
    > 19 Apr 2005 00:03:55 +1200, grolschie <> says...
    >>
    >> "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > Well of course, the server, the.ihug.co.nz refuses to work, giving me a
    >> > message about not having cookies enabled in my browser. Which is
    >> > complete
    >> > crap. Using IE4, sure, but it should be able to work on their site.

    >> No. You're kidding us right? IE4? The site probably has some HTTPS/SSL
    >> stuff
    >> that IE4 does not support.
    >> grol

    > Well there is this stupid limitation that you can only register on a
    > computer that is actually dialled up to the internet using the same
    > username and password that you register for the service with. And that it
    > can only be done over the Internet.

    URL of the page causing issues?
    grolschie, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Rob J

    shannon Guest

    shannon, Apr 18, 2005
  7. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <e1V8e.19760$> in nz.comp on Tue,
    19 Apr 2005 08:47:55 +1200, grolschie <> says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <YlN8e.19734$> in nz.comp on Tue,
    > > 19 Apr 2005 00:03:55 +1200, grolschie <> says...
    > >>
    > >> "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > >> No. You're kidding us right? IE4? The site probably has some HTTPS/SSL
    > >> stuff
    > >> that IE4 does not support.
    > >> grol

    > > Well there is this stupid limitation that you can only register on a
    > > computer that is actually dialled up to the internet using the same
    > > username and password that you register for the service with. And that it
    > > can only be done over the Internet.

    > URL of the page causing issues?

    Go to Business Services then Global Roaming then register
    Rob J, Apr 19, 2005
  8. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:56:22 +1200, Rob J <> says...
    > In article <YlN8e.19734$> in nz.comp on Tue,
    > 19 Apr 2005 00:03:55 +1200, grolschie <> says...
    > >
    > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Well of course, the server, the.ihug.co.nz refuses to work, giving me a
    > > > message about not having cookies enabled in my browser. Which is complete
    > > > crap. Using IE4, sure, but it should be able to work on their site.

    > > No. You're kidding us right? IE4? The site probably has some HTTPS/SSL stuff
    > > that IE4 does not support.
    > > grol

    > Well there is this stupid limitation that you can only register on a
    > computer that is actually dialled up to the internet using the same
    > username and password that you register for the service with. And that it
    > can only be done over the Internet.

    By the way. I tried it again on another PC running IE 6 with all the
    patches. Same result. Silly stupid error message and it doesn't work.
    Rob J, Apr 19, 2005
  9. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <e1V8e.19760$> in nz.comp on Tue,
    19 Apr 2005 08:47:55 +1200, grolschie <> says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <YlN8e.19734$> in nz.comp on Tue,
    > > 19 Apr 2005 00:03:55 +1200, grolschie <> says...
    > >>
    > >> "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > >> No. You're kidding us right? IE4? The site probably has some HTTPS/SSL
    > >> stuff
    > >> that IE4 does not support.
    > >> grol

    > > Well there is this stupid limitation that you can only register on a
    > > computer that is actually dialled up to the internet using the same
    > > username and password that you register for the service with. And that it
    > > can only be done over the Internet.

    > URL of the page causing issues?

    A complaint has been filed with Ihug to their complaints email address.

    No reply so far.
    Rob J, Apr 19, 2005
  10. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:41:28 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:51:54 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:
    >

    >> And while your at it
    >> Get Mozilla to fix their bloody browser
    >> That can't handle banner adverts

    >Why don't you ?
    >https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided

    Well I did
    But they had excuses
    Like banner adverts violate HTML standards

    The classic one though was that the result of an operation was
    undefined and that was the reason and by implication it was perfectly
    normal
    FreedomChooser, Apr 19, 2005
  11. Rob J

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > > URL of the page causing issues?

    > A complaint has been filed with Ihug to their complaints email address.
    >
    > No reply so far.

    Waste of time just go to Ihugs newsgroup report it..that way someone will
    actually fix it
    just head it "ATTENTION IHUG URGENT"
    Craig Sutton, Apr 19, 2005
  12. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <d42r36$l5k$> in nz.comp on Tue, 19 Apr 2005
    23:46:19 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > > URL of the page causing issues?

    > > A complaint has been filed with Ihug to their complaints email address.
    > >
    > > No reply so far.

    > Waste of time just go to Ihugs newsgroup report it..that way someone will
    > actually fix it
    > just head it "ATTENTION IHUG URGENT"

    What newsgroup?

    There are no groups with names like ihug.* in the list of groups I got
    from the server.
    Rob J, Apr 20, 2005
  13. Rob J

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <d42r36$l5k$> in nz.comp on Tue, 19 Apr 2005
    > 23:46:19 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > >
    > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > > > A complaint has been filed with Ihug to their complaints email

    address.

    > > > No reply so far.

    > > Waste of time just go to Ihugs newsgroup report it..that way someone

    will
    > > actually fix it
    > > just head it "ATTENTION IHUG URGENT"

    > What newsgroup?
    >
    > There are no groups with names like ihug.* in the list of groups I got
    > from the server.

    Oops Ihug internal groups you won't be able to access them..
    Craig Sutton, Apr 20, 2005
  14. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <d45k1k$3j5$> in nz.comp on Thu, 21 Apr 2005
    01:04:29 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <d42r36$l5k$> in nz.comp on Tue, 19 Apr 2005
    > > 23:46:19 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > > >
    > > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > address.

    > > > Waste of time just go to Ihugs newsgroup report it..that way someone

    > will
    > > > actually fix it
    > > > just head it "ATTENTION IHUG URGENT"

    > > What newsgroup?
    > >
    > > There are no groups with names like ihug.* in the list of groups I got
    > > from the server.

    > Oops Ihug internal groups you won't be able to access them..

    Internal to who?
    What ISP am I posting from?
    Rob J, Apr 20, 2005
  15. Rob J

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <d45k1k$3j5$> in nz.comp on Thu, 21 Apr 2005
    > 01:04:29 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > >
    > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > > In article <d42r36$l5k$> in nz.comp on Tue, 19 Apr

    2005
    > > > 23:46:19 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...

    > > address.

    > > will
    > > >
    > > > What newsgroup?
    > > >
    > > > There are no groups with names like ihug.* in the list of groups I got
    > > > from the server.

    > > Oops Ihug internal groups you won't be able to access them..

    > Internal to who?
    > What ISP am I posting from?

    No problems here
    ihug.general
    ihug.newsgroups.wanted
    ihug.bliink
    ihug.announce
    ihug.ultra.nz
    Craig Sutton, Apr 21, 2005
  16. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <d47gti$ok6$> in nz.comp on Thu, 21 Apr 2005
    18:23:30 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <d45k1k$3j5$> in nz.comp on Thu, 21 Apr 2005
    > > 01:04:29 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > > >
    > > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > 2005

    > > > address.

    > > > will

    > > > Oops Ihug internal groups you won't be able to access them..

    > > Internal to who?
    > > What ISP am I posting from?

    > No problems here
    > ihug.general
    > ihug.newsgroups.wanted
    > ihug.bliink
    > ihug.announce
    > ihug.ultra.nz

    You're on a different news server.
    Rob J, Apr 21, 2005
  17. Rob J

    EMB Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    > You're on a different news server.

    AFAIK all the ihug server aliases point to the same place now.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 21, 2005
  18. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:43:25 +1200, Rob J <> says...
    > In article <d47gti$ok6$> in nz.comp on Thu, 21 Apr 2005
    > 18:23:30 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > >
    > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > > In article <d45k1k$3j5$> in nz.comp on Thu, 21 Apr 2005
    > > > 01:04:29 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...

    > > 2005

    > > > Internal to who?
    > > > What ISP am I posting from?

    > > No problems here
    > > ihug.general
    > > ihug.newsgroups.wanted
    > > ihug.bliink
    > > ihug.announce
    > > ihug.ultra.nz

    > You're on a different news server.

    Well, funny, the PC at work can see all the groups, on the same server.

    Time to upgrade the software maybe!
    Rob J, Apr 22, 2005
  19. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:45:49 +1200, Rob J <> says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:43:25 +1200, Rob J <> says...
    > > In article <d47gti$ok6$> in nz.comp on Thu, 21 Apr 2005
    > > 18:23:30 +1200, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > > >
    > > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > > > 2005

    > > > No problems here
    > > > ihug.general
    > > > ihug.newsgroups.wanted
    > > > ihug.bliink
    > > > ihug.announce
    > > > ihug.ultra.nz

    > > You're on a different news server.

    > Well, funny, the PC at work can see all the groups, on the same server.
    >
    > Time to upgrade the software maybe!

    Just readded the server, and there are all the Ihug groups.

    Strange, and even stranger is the small number of groups overall...19959.
    Some carry far more than this, Paradise which I used before had over
    70000, IIRC.
    Rob J, Apr 22, 2005
  20. Rob J

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message > Just readded the server, and
    there are all the Ihug groups.

    > Strange, and even stranger is the small number of groups overall...19959.
    > Some carry far more than this, Paradise which I used before had over
    > 70000, IIRC.

    Ihug just got a new server, they are in the process of adding more groups
    that people ask for. But a total waste of resources to carry 70000 groups
    when only 20000 are of interest to anyone.
    Craig Sutton, Apr 22, 2005