How to get great color?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ybakos, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. ybakos

    ybakos Guest

    Hi,
    I'm hoping one of you Photoshop geniuses or digital photo experts
    might provide some insight to a problem I'm having.

    I have a digital photo processed by the lab -- I receive a Photoshop
    PSD with an "embedded" color profile of "Adobe/RGB."

    My goal is to save an accurate jpeg version of this file. I realize
    jpeg is lossy, but for some reason the colors always appear noticeably
    washed out.

    I've tried opening/saving with different approaches (embed/no-embed
    when saving; convert/discard/use when opening) and I can _never_ get
    the color right.

    The PSD on my screen looks perfect, just the way it should. But after
    saving a jpeg, the colors are lighter, less saturated.

    I'm pretty sure this is a color issue, and not a resolution or
    compression issue... any insight would be so appreciated. If you're
    near Denver, I'll buy you a nice bottle of wine.

    ybakos, Jan 30, 2007

  2. ybakos

    Cgiorgio Guest

    "ybakos" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    > I'm hoping one of you Photoshop geniuses or digital photo experts
    > might provide some insight to a problem I'm having.
    >
    > I have a digital photo processed by the lab -- I receive a Photoshop
    > PSD with an "embedded" color profile of "Adobe/RGB."
    >
    > My goal is to save an accurate jpeg version of this file. I realize
    > jpeg is lossy, but for some reason the colors always appear noticeably
    > washed out.
    >
    > I've tried opening/saving with different approaches (embed/no-embed
    > when saving; convert/discard/use when opening) and I can _never_ get
    > the color right.
    >
    > The PSD on my screen looks perfect, just the way it should. But after
    > saving a jpeg, the colors are lighter, less saturated.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure this is a color issue, and not a resolution or
    > compression issue... any insight would be so appreciated. If you're
    > near Denver, I'll buy you a nice bottle of wine.

    I found a fairly easy to understand document about color management at the
    following link:

    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/profiles.htm

    Cgiorgio, Jan 30, 2007

  3. ybakos

    Mike Russell Guest

    "ybakos" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,

    > I have a digital photo processed by the lab -- I receive a Photoshop
    > PSD with an "embedded" color profile of "Adobe/RGB."

    > The PSD on my screen looks perfect, just the way it should. But after
    > saving a jpeg, the colors are lighter, less saturated.

    Convert the image from Adobe RGB to sRGB before saving your jpeg, and the
    colors will retain their saturation.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Jan 31, 2007
  4. ybakos

    Routemeister Guest

    The problem you encountered is caused by changing the color gamut. The PSD
    file is displayed correctly because Photoshop "reads" the Adobe RGB color
    file and displays it correctly. However, the Adobe RGB Gamut is larger than
    the familiar S-RGB gamut
    so that the 256 levels in each color channel are spread further apart than
    the 256 levels in S-RGB. If you converted the file to JPEG using the "Save
    for web" method, the file was compressed, but the RGB values were not
    adjusted to the correct values in S-RGB color space, which is the default
    space for the web. Also, the "embedded" color profile is discarded when the
    file is saved for the web, since web browsers don't "read" color space
    information. Use the "help" files in your version of Photoshop to convert a
    copy of the PSD file to S-RGB and then save that file as a JPG that will
    display properly.
    Regards,
    David "Routemeister" Thompson
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/backroads/
    http://picasaweb.google.com/david.routemeister

    "ybakos" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm hoping one of you Photoshop geniuses or digital photo experts
    > might provide some insight to a problem I'm having.
    >
    > I have a digital photo processed by the lab -- I receive a Photoshop
    > PSD with an "embedded" color profile of "Adobe/RGB."
    >
    > My goal is to save an accurate jpeg version of this file. I realize
    > jpeg is lossy, but for some reason the colors always appear noticeably
    > washed out.
    >
    > I've tried opening/saving with different approaches (embed/no-embed
    > when saving; convert/discard/use when opening) and I can _never_ get
    > the color right.
    >
    > The PSD on my screen looks perfect, just the way it should. But after
    > saving a jpeg, the colors are lighter, less saturated.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure this is a color issue, and not a resolution or
    > compression issue... any insight would be so appreciated. If you're
    > near Denver, I'll buy you a nice bottle of wine.

    It has removed 8253 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

    Routemeister, Jan 31, 2007
  5. ybakos

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    ybakos <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm hoping one of you Photoshop geniuses or digital photo experts
    > might provide some insight to a problem I'm having.
    >
    > I have a digital photo processed by the lab -- I receive a Photoshop
    > PSD with an "embedded" color profile of "Adobe/RGB."
    >
    > My goal is to save an accurate jpeg version of this file. I realize
    > jpeg is lossy, but for some reason the colors always appear noticeably
    > washed out.
    >
    > I've tried opening/saving with different approaches (embed/no-embed
    > when saving; convert/discard/use when opening) and I can _never_ get
    > the color right.
    >
    > The PSD on my screen looks perfect, just the way it should. But after
    > saving a jpeg, the colors are lighter, less saturated.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure this is a color issue, and not a resolution or
    > compression issue... any insight would be so appreciated. If you're
    > near Denver, I'll buy you a nice bottle of wine.

    Open up Photoshop. Go to Color Preferences.

    It's probably easiest to set your working RGB colorspace to sRGB,
    although AdobeRGB is attractive for many reasons. But until you get a
    handle on color management, sRGB is easiest.

    For all the Color Management Policies, you want to set them to either
    preserve the color space or convert to working color space. We're
    dealing with RGB here, however, so just set the RGB one to 'Convert to
    Working RGB.'

    You want to be sure and check all the Ask When... checkboxes. You want
    Photoshop to ask you what to do whenever there's a profile mismatch.
    Later, when you've figured out why it's asking you what it's asking, you
    can turn these off.

    And then, finally, you want to UNcheck 'Desaturate Monitor Colors By...'
    and 'Blend RGB using gamma..' You don't want it to do those things,
    unless you know specifically otherwise.

    So now what will happen is that you'll open your PSD file, and Photoshop
    will ask you if you want to convert the image to the working colorspace.
    And you say yes, convert it. Do your editing, flatten the image, convert
    to 8-bit and then save as a JPEG. You'll have the option, at the bottom
    of the save screen, to include the color profile. Do this, unless you
    know specifically that you shouldn't.

    This should improve the color accuracy of your work. I hope. :)

    Paul Mitchum, Jan 31, 2007